Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 Kia Sephia base model
5speed 81K miles

Ive been doing some research on the subject and im still at a loss.
One night realized my car had no Dash lights. Figured i'd be ok because i've been driving stick for a couple years and can tell what speed im at, except a guy pulled next to me and told me i have no tail lights. I pulled over and got out my owners manual and found the tail light fuse by the driverside kickpanel. I took it out because i seen it was blown and replaced it with a spare and it blew again. This tells me theres a short to ground somewhere. I've looked at others peoples post and tried to find the TNS Relay. I dont have a TNS relay and the closest thing to it is a BTN main fuse in the under hood fuse box. I've made sure the dimmer wasnt off and was on at full brightness how i left it when i first got the car. I need this fixed before my wife has the baby so if anyone can help me as detailed as possible id appreciate.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,902 Posts
Here is the schematics for the tail/dash/+ wiring...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-YuNuTyh57XUGdyX05tRVc2NzQ/edit?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-YuNuTyh57XVW1GTlRlSkw2WDA/edit?usp=sharing

Quite a lot of circuitry off of the "left hand tail lamp" fuse..
You might want to disconnect the dash dimmer module first and try another fuse.. If it doesn't blow then replace the dimmer module...
This circuit also feeds through the door wiring and may break from opening and closing the doors..
Hope this helps...If not leave another post in this thread...
Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Dave. i disconnected the dimmer module which im sure was the whole assembly with the 3 wire pigtail. put another fuse in and it blew again. i checked the pigtails by the rear tail lights/ brake lights/ turn signals and they seemed fine. its only when i turn the headlights on. my next guess would be the combo switch contactor for that circuit is bad?

·
Registered
1985 Subaru Loyale (wagon), 2000 Kia Sephia (sedan), and 1969 Mercury Comet (coupé)
2,809 Posts
an idea...

You mean that it Blows the Fuse every time you switch the HeadLights on?

If so, I Kindly Suggest you to check Carefully the Front Wirings on the HeadLamps and the Corner Lights; I bet there could be a Short Circuit.

Kind Regards.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes every time i put a fuse in and turn on my headlights i blow a fuse. i dont think it would be my headlights because they work fine. corner lights sounds like a possibility. is that a normal issue for these cars? i hope its something small and not have to buy a combo switch

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,902 Posts
Your car is old enough that the combo switch is probably a cheap part at the local salvage yard and this will answer your question on if it is or isn't bad...
Just checked ebay....OUCH ...That switch is EXPENSIVE even as a used part...
96 97 Kia Sephia Column Switch | eBay
Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now if my sockets were corroded in my tail lights wouldnt my brake lights not work either? i checked my cornerlights from headlight to about mid-fender and it all seemed fine. Some of my sockets for my tail lights did look corroded and the bulbs that came out had the contacts melted/smashed so it seems. is there a testing procedure that can tell me if its a socket like by using a test light or anything. sorry for the petty sounding response just really frustrated and annoyed. Thanks for everything so far that you guys have given me

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I have a similar problem that I came to this forum for answers on.

In my case my BTN Fuse keeps blowing. Every time I put a new one in. I have had an electrician friend and I also paid a mechanic 150 dollars to do "Level 1 Diagnostics". They didn't find the cause. I don't want to have to pay another 150 dollars for "Level 2 Diagnostics". My dash lights and tail lights both don't work and my alternator is not charging the battery properly if not at all. It all happened after I jumpstarted the car not knowing it had a bad ground. I fixed the ground wire which solved all the engine troubles i was having but now my tail lights and dash lights don't work ever since the jump start. How screwed am I?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts