Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Kia Rio ( white)
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here. I have a white 2001 Kia Rio S. I have no dash and tail lights. Which fuses do I look at ? If they are fine what would the problem be? I'm thinking it might be the dimmer switch.

thanks

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
We're actually discussing this in another thread. There are three fuses to check. 15A TNS, 10A LH Tail and 10A RH Tail.

Also, try swapping the TNS relay with the horn relay and see if that changes anything.

If that doesn't make any difference, you need to see if the relay is operating when your turn on the parking lights (NOT headlights). When you turn the switch to the first position, you should hear a "click" from the relay. It's pretty quiet, so getting someone to help you isn't a bad idea.

·
Registered
2001 Kia Rio ( white)
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. we've tried 10a rh and 10ALh but I didn;t realize there was a third fuse.. I will diffently try that first thing in the morning. .. I had know idea on how many people have had the same problem.

thanks again

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts
has anyone touched the bulbs?? I mean any bulb in the car??
just so happens if you put a wrong bulb in anyplace the whole lighting system usually gets affected...

Like I put an 1156 in place of a 1157 once and everytime I hit the brakes my front marker lights and my guage lights would come on like a brake light... chech your bulbs..

·
Registered
2001 Kia Rio ( white)
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I change the interior light bulb once..Well I should say I put one in. The car never came with one. But that was months ago. but I never thought maybe the bulbs died

·
Registered
39 Posts
A very common item to look at on canadian models is the DRL (Daytime Running Light) Module. It does control power to your tail lights, dash lights and fog lights (if equipped)

Happy driving

Derek

·
Registered
2 Posts
KIA Light problems

My wifes car 2002 Sportage has the same problem. The tail light fuse keeps blowing and no interior lights. I am working on this today. I have read in another forum where one person said the answer was to replace the ignition/key swicth assembly. They said that fixed the problem.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Spectra
2 Posts
I have done all of the suggested actions: checking fuses, checking relay, etc. and can't seem to fix the problem. Are there any other ideas?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I drive a 2002 Kia RIO and my tail lights, low beams, and dash lights do not work until the car has been running for at least 20 min...All the fuses have been checked along with the relays. Also, no bulbs have been changed.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you're driving a Canadian car, it's your Daytime running light module. Mine went last fall with the exact same symptoms.
If you are handy or know someone who is, it's a relatively easy fix. Small hands make it easier. Go to a wrecker and pull all the drl modules you can from the Kias in the yard, swap each one for your broken one in your car until you find one that works, pay the wrecker $10

If you're not handy, the module and labour at the dealer will probably run you $200

The DRL is found on drivers side under the dash and against the left wall of the car. it's a small black box about the size of a pack of Marlboros but a bit thicker and has one set of wires clipped into it. It's friction fit onto a metal bracket so slide it forward to get it off.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you very much for your helpful comments...it was my DRL module that was gone, and only $28 later my lights now work as soon as I turn them on - What a treat!

·
Registered
2 Posts
our DRL seems to work intermittently. my husband tried getting it out, but wasn't having much luck (i probably should have done it myself, but was sick as a dog at the time)...he's left the panel with the DRL on it hanging, after losing my 10mm socket down inside the body, and all we do is give it a kick when it stops working :p

it ain't the technical solution, but it sure can be satisfying! ;)

we're buying a new car in a couple of months anyway, so can't be stuffed to do much to what we've got (an '02 rio rx-v with almost 130,000miles)..

cheers!

-mistress k

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio Cinco
24 Posts
I have a 2002 Rio Cinco. The fuse for the lights kept blowing at random times. One morning the rear wiper was running when the switch was off. After pulling part of the headliner, I found there was no grommet for the wires to run through where they leave the body of the car and enter the hatch for the defrost and wiper. Several of the wires have over an inch of the insulation melted off. I spliced the wires and put a wire loom around the wires to protect them it the future.

If it keeps blowing fuses, this is what I found on mine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you MacGregor. A few bruised ribs and twisted shoulder later I was able to
change the unit. If you are a big guy (like me) consider spending the $200 at the
shop.

·
Registered
2005 Kia optima
2 Posts
Install stereo in my 2005 Optima and my dash lights and tail lights does not work can somebody help me or tell me what can I do to get the lights working again

·
Registered
2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo / 2001 Kia Rio
292 Posts
wrong subforum, this is for kia rio...

double check your wiring maybe you mixed up the illumination wire.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts