Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone. I just adopted a neglected 2000 Sportage. I ironed out most of the concerns except these 2 things.

1) I bought a window switch for the drivers door. This has happened to others I see on here. I have 2 different plugs.... I cant get a firm answer by searching....It is a matter or cutting and matching colors on the plug? If not, whats the fix?

2) My starter, at random times will not engage. I'm getting B+ at the starter solenoid when the key is turned to start. Thinking maybe the switch wont allow enough amps, I stick a relay in between. Nothing improved... I moved the battery ground cable to a bolt on the starter....Still no improvement. Replaced the starter...Still no improvment.

Its hard to determine a pattern. Key the key, maybe it will turn maybe not..Try it a few times and it goes.
What am I not seeing here?

Thanks so much in advance.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,923 Posts
Basic starter flow chart...
(+) at battery to
IGN fuse to
Ignition switch to the
Safety switch on the clutch arm or to the automatic tranny Park/Neutral switch to the
Starter Relay (Coil) then to ground which cause the relay contacts to close.

+12v to one contact on above starter relay
out through the second contact when the relay is energized to the smaller wire feeding the starter solenoid (this energizes the starter solenoid and the HEAVY switch contacts inside the solenoid case) connecting the heavy battery cable to the actual starter motor armature through the armature to ground (battery return (-) )

Try taking a fused (15amp) wire from the battery to the actual contact slots that the relay plugs into. See if the starter engages and cranks the motor.
IMPORTANT!!! Make sure the car is in Park (automatic) or neutral (manual)

This will eliminate ignition feed from the equation (IGN fuse/ignition switch/safety switch/ and relay coil wiring.

If the starter cranks every time you supply +12v to the relay contact that feeds the starter solenoid then work backwards to find where you are loosing the +12v feed.

Also check the ground wire from the alternator case to the engine block and from the engine block to the car body/frame/negative terminal of battery.

Keep us posted on what you find...
Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its been a while, I know....The starter was the actual switch. It was cheap to buy and easy to install. Autozone had it for like $30-40 and it was like 20 minutes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts