Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kio Rio LX+ Hatchback
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I just got my 2013 Rio Hatchback LX+ yesterday and I can't figure out how to copy music to the on-board computer. I have the IPOD connected via USB and can see/play the music fine but the manual shows that I should have an option (#6) to COPY the song to the car and it's not there. I have options for random, repeat, info and search only.

On other forums I have seen posts saying that you can't copy from an IPOD, only USB or other MP3 players..which seems dumb. Another said that you need the official KIA adapter. Is either of these true or is there something wrong with my software?

·
Registered
2017 KIA Forte5 SX, 2017 KIA Sportage EX Lux, 1986 Pontiac Fiero SE 2m6
77 Posts
Congrats on the new car! Had mine almost a month now..time files
The LX+ doesn't have the UVO, correct?

I haven't tried an iPOD yet - but I believe that you're right and not able to copy from iPOD.
IIRC there was a section/note about not copying (DRM) restricted songs, or certain formats - which is likely the case for the iPOD. Couldn't copy from a CD when I tried. Was able to copy mp3's from my USB key.

As far as the cable goes - you only need the KIA one if you have the SX w/nav - as per the manual... yes I did read about 80% of the UVO manual.. not that massive owners manual though.:eek:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats on your new car too!

As far as I understand it the LX+ doesn't have UVO...just the 'my music' feature.

The manual is abit unclear but it shows one section in the menu for IPOD that doesn't have the copy option and then under the USB section the option is there but it doesn't really say specifically that you can't copy from an IPOD. I think that is the case though. Especially since its an older one.

Thanks for the confirmation on the cable thing. That was how I interpreted it from the manual too but those forum posts got me second-guessing myself.

That manual is huge! I have gotten though a lot of it but its going to take a while to absorb it all. 8 )

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5-Door LX
301 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but Apple products do not intend to have music files to be copied to other devices. Usually, you need special software and i don't think that the audio unit would have this included. Is it dumb? Maybe but we know that this is the way Apple products work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I assumed that since the manual mentioned IPODS specifically that somehow it was possible to upload music to the system from them. Now I'm realizing they must just mean that you can listen to your ipod through the system (without uploading).

Guess I'll just use a thumb drive....

·
Registered
2017 KIA Forte5 SX, 2017 KIA Sportage EX Lux, 1986 Pontiac Fiero SE 2m6
77 Posts
Yea, the whole iPOD thing is all marketing. They're the widest spread 'standard' for audio players... so that's why you can control it from most cars these days.
Though, I wonder if the MS Zune works well... since UVO is based on MS?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Cee'd 5 door
101 Posts
Never tried coping from ipod/iphone to Kia radio, but I would think it will not work for a couple of reason. One ipods are set up to not allow copying straight from them to another device (except the computer it is paired to using iTunes). Also unless you changed the default file format from AAC to mp3 or wma the KIa radio will not be able to play it as AAC is not a file type the radio will play. The ipod is doing the playing and just sending the audio signal for the radio to amplify and send to the speakers when you listen to the music on an ipod. I ended up buying a USB memory stick (Cruzer Fit USB Flash Drive by SanDisk) and putting a bunch of music on it and it just stays in the slot all the time. My android phone is paired to the radio to answer calls but I do not stream music from it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts