Kia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sportage EX 2.4L AWD
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2017 Sportage EX is in the shop. It has been cleared for a new engine, covered by the KIA warranty. We pay $550 a month for it. We are both on disability and bought the car used with the certified pre-owned warranty thinking we would have zero car issues for 3-5 years. Well, thats all fine and dandy. The engine will take at minimum 5-6 months before it can be replaced. Meanwhile, we have no car. We have no credit cards or extra cash at the end of the month to rent another vehicle. They said we could get a deal (!) on a rental car for us......starting at $80 a day for an economy car. Warranty covers $35.00 a day, which is on a reimbursement basis. We have to pay up front then hope KIA takes care of us.
My question is, how in the hell are we supposed to do this? We have to continue our payments each month so we don't default the loan. This car has 60,000 miles on it. This should never have happened. I thought KIA's were quality cars. Yes, they are backing it up, but I am left in a lurch here. My wife has a brain tumor, so we drive to KC, Kansas several times a month. Round trip of about 140 miles. I have no options available. Should I tank the damn loan, take a hit on our credit? Go get the car and hope someone runs into me? (it rolls in limp mode) This is just something I am absolutely crazy about thinking of what can I do??

Any suggestions?

·
Administrator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,522 Posts
Contact Kia Corp and explain your life and financial situation making it impossible to rent a vehicle and if they can arrange a loaner.

Also check if another dealership could do the job and if they have a loaner.

·
Registered
2020 EX KIA Sportages, 2021 Hyundai KONA, 2010 Jeep Wrangler JK
251 Posts
Our 2017 Sportage EX is in the shop. It has been cleared for a new engine, covered by the KIA warranty. We pay $550 a month for it. We are both on disability and bought the car used with the certified pre-owned warranty thinking we would have zero car issues for 3-5 years. Well, thats all fine and dandy. The engine will take at minimum 5-6 months before it can be replaced. Meanwhile, we have no car. We have no credit cards or extra cash at the end of the month to rent another vehicle. They said we could get a deal (!) on a rental car for us......starting at $80 a day for an economy car. Warranty covers $35.00 a day, which is on a reimbursement basis. We have to pay up front then hope KIA takes care of us.
My question is, how in the hell are we supposed to do this? We have to continue our payments each month so we don't default the loan. This car has 60,000 miles on it. This should never have happened. I thought KIA's were quality cars. Yes, they are backing it up, but I am left in a lurch here. My wife has a brain tumor, so we drive to KC, Kansas several times a month. Round trip of about 140 miles. I have no options available. Should I tank the damn loan, take a hit on our credit? Go get the car and hope someone runs into me? (it rolls in limp mode) This is just something I am absolutely crazy about thinking of what can I do??

Any suggestions?
I'm wondering why it's taking so long to get a engine ? The dealer we have used for years and actually owns 3 KIA dealerships has a install time of one to two weeks ? We haven't had a issue, but know 2 people who did. Both cars were KIA Soul's. I've talked to the service manager when in for inspections and asked about whether the online forums are right with people complaining about parts. He said they are well stocked in their warehouse. They keep 3 - 2.0 and 3 - 2.4 long block engines in stock constantly. I would call KIA corporate and discuss your dilemma. Maybe even another dealer. My Father was a Oldsmobile dealer service manager most of his life. He said to avoid dealers that sell multiple brands at the same sight. Our KIA dealership's owner only sells KIA at the 3 location's. The Hyundai dealer near us sells Hyundai, Nissan, Scion, Jeeps all in their same complex. They can't store the parts like a one brand dealership. They have to order everything. It's easier to stay on top of the game with inventory than fight to get it. Good Luck. We have had no issues with KIA. Bad thing about getting a used car is you never know what it's been through or how it's been maintained ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are 40 cars waiting on engines in front of us. It sat on the lot for 3 weeks before they even looked at it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I contacted KIA 2 weeks ago and told them my situation. I received a response stating they were going to investigate and get back with me. I have a claim number also. No response yet.

·
Registered
2020 EX KIA Sportages, 2021 Hyundai KONA, 2010 Jeep Wrangler JK
251 Posts
There are 40 cars waiting on engines in front of us. It sat on the lot for 3 weeks before they even looked at it.
I'd try KIA corporate and another dealer. Oops, didn't see your response about 2 weeks. Since the car has been approved for a engine. One option is maybe trading it in. My Son just got KIA Forte. He went to look at a used 2019 certified Forte but the salesman we use told him used car prices are ridiculous right now. He showed him a brand new 2022 Forte with close to the same options that stickered $500 less. Plus KIA was offering 2.9 financing and $500 towards purchase. He still owed on the Nissan he traded in. They paid it off. He got burned slightly on that, but it's his fault. The dealer knows they will get paid for the engine, and that is a good resell feature for them. See how close they can get to your current payment trading your Sportage in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am sorry, I didn't mention what had happened with our car. Driving down I-70 at about 80 mph, the car started slowing down and the engine light started flashing. Got it off the interstate and she would only pull 1500 RPM's. No engine knock or smoke or anything, temperature was fine, plus it idled perfectly. Had just done oil change and whatever else needed done at the 60,000 interval. Blows my mind. Our dealer here in Topeka (who we bought it from) claims there are 40 engine replacements before ours. The next closest dealer is in Lawrence and I believe they are in the same boat.....All sorts of vehicles needing major repairs. What in heck is going on?

·
Registered
2022 Kia Forte GT2
28 Posts
I think you need a car to get your partner to treatment. I would suggest calling the bank to work out some sort of deferred payment plan so you can cover the cost of the rental.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts