Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I have a 96 Sportage - how can I tell if it is DOHC or SOHC? Anyway my tail pipe and muffler is missing and needs to be replaced.

My most recent problem is that the car sometimes (within 5-10 minutes) after starting and accerlerating from a stopped position has no power (dosen't stall tho). I must put the car in neutral and rev the engine then shift into gear to get going. After that it seems to be OK until the engine is turned off then I run the risk of the problem again. Also have very little power going up hills and must shift to lowest gear to keep going - again this doesn't happen all the time.

Could my not having the tail pipe/muffler cause this. I'm also thinking of replacing the cat con but I need to know if it's DOHC or SOHC? Cat converters at autopartswarehouse.com cost around $110 - reasonable?

Previously (for other reasons) I have changed air filter, plugs, coils - I think they are all ok now.

Thanks all for your help

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you can get him to reply.... Axe Man seems to know his stuff where KIAS are concerned. He never replied to the post I made. Good Luck!!! Bren

·
Registered
349 Posts
The 1996 Sportage has the DOHC engine. 1995 was the last year for the SOHC engine.

Is the check engine light on? If so, get the codes scanned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Axe Man

Check Engine light is NOT on when any of this happens i.e. sometimes no acceleration from stopped position.

Another clue - when this problem occurs I can smell a "fuel"? vapor. Also besides no acceleration there is no engine rev - just a slow sputter until I either go in neutral and rev engine or shift down to low (then engine may kick in)

Also in my original post I said I was missing a muffler - not true - my car has a muffler just no tail pipe from the muffler.

Thanks for comments and viewing.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi!! I am replying as I have the SAME issue...I have a 2001, though. Mostly, my kia does the "stall" yet is still running, if I try to drive it prior to the car warming up all the way. Eventhough this car takes literally about 15 minutes at times to warm up.
I have been told that this is because Kia installs a "governor" telling the car "not to drive" when it is not properly warmed up.
I am no car buff, and I know that it is not good to drive without letting it warm up first- but this is something new to me. I have found that if I am sure to give my Kia at least 6-10 minutes of warm up time prior to driving it, this will not happen. My tail pipe corroded off this winter- so I have no tail pipe either :eek:) hehe. Do you find that it feels as though your transmition is "sticking" and you can not gain much speed? That is the issue I am looking for answers with. Also, need to figure out how to change the spark plugs.

~sam~

1 - 5 of 5 Posts