Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Sedona 3.5L v6. The air conditioning doesn't work. I have check all the fuses under the hood and inside the car. All looks good. A/C relay clicks when the AC button is press and the green light comes on. Test the Thermistor that is located behind the glove box. I have 4.96vlots on the connector. Test the thermistor and reads 2807ohms. When you disconnect the thermistor the AC green button light goes out. I can't get the wire on the compressor. Is there a way to test for 12v at the compressor without too much trouble? Also can you jumper the connector for the thermistor to fake it out so the a/c can come on?or is it even getting the right voltage?
I need help, this car is hot without air conditioning.>:D

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
since it clicks I assume charge is OK (pressure readbacks are within normal range and compressor is ready to start).

Two things are needed (at least two) for compressor to run: belt propelling it and working clutch.
The former one is easy to diagnose. The second - you might need to try manually move the pulley and have the A/C engaged while you are touching (with the belt removed). If there is no movement inside, it might be it.

However, IF for whatever reason, the power cable is down - same results. Hence, check if you get 12V on the relay (terminal 30) and then if the relay really works. It may click, but connector is burnt. Therefore, instead of relaying on the relay, use a piece of 14 AWG wire to jump the terminals 30 and 87 of the relay (well, fuse box).

If this starts the compressor - you got your answer. If not - follow as described above.
First, though, measure voltage coming to the compressor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok this is what I have tested so far and I think I have found the problem. I tested connection 87 to ground without the key on. At one point it read 1.7ohms and now as of today it doesn't read anything. I can spin the compressor by hand. I tried jumping connections 30 & 87 at the fuse panel. The compressor ever kick on or click like it wanted to. The AC button in the car is green. So it is wanting to give it the go ahead to come on but won't. So at this time I think it is the coil in the clutch is bad. Seems to be a common problem with these Kia compressors. Now the question is do I just order the coil for $46 or by a total Reman compressor for $129. I am hopping I can just get by with the coil and do it with the compressor on the car. That way I can save the freon already in the system and don't have to pump it down and reload it. What do you all think compressor or coil. I am cheap, disable Marine on a tough budget.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
youtube

since it clicks I assume charge is OK (pressure readbacks are within normal range and compressor is ready to start).

Two things are needed (at least two) for compressor to run: belt propelling it and working clutch.
The former one is easy to diagnose. The second - you might need to try manually move the pulley and have the A/C engaged while you are touching (with the belt removed). If there is no movement inside, it might be it.

However, IF for whatever reason, the power cable is down - same results. Hence, check if you get 12V on the relay (terminal 30) and then if the relay really works. It may click, but connector is burnt. Therefore, instead of relaying on the relay, use a piece of 14 AWG wire to jump the terminals 30 and 87 of the relay (well, fuse box).

If this starts the compressor - you got your answer. If not - follow as described above.
First, though, measure voltage coming to the compressor.
Ok this is what I have tested so far and I think I have found the problem. I tested connection 87 to ground without the key on. At one point it read 1.7ohms and now as of today it doesn't read anything. I can spin the compressor by hand. I tried jumping connections 30 & 87 at the fuse panel. The compressor ever kick on or click like it wanted to. The AC button in the car is green. So it is wanting to give it the go ahead to come on but won't. So at this time I think it is the coil in the clutch is bad. Seems to be a common problem with these Kia compressors. Now the question is do I just order the coil for $46 or by a total Reman compressor for $129. I am hopping I can just get by with the coil and do it with the compressor on the car. That way I can save the freon already in the system and don't have to pump it down and reload it. What do you all think compressor or coil. I am cheap, disable Marine on a tough budget.
I did see a youtube video of a guy that replace the coil with the compressor still on the car. I look at mine and it looks really tight. Might just have to remove the compressor after all just to do the coil.

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
once you hear the click check if the compressor is spinning.

If the clutch engaged the inner ring will start spinning.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fix a/c

I order a new a/c coil from ebay for $48. Spent one day replacing the coil on the a/c compressor. Did it with the compressor on the car. Didn't want to lose the freon. Was difficult to do but managed to get it done. Just wish I would had spent the extra to buy the clutch kit too. I just used the old one. It works and is nice and cold. Some times it stops and blows hot then starts back up again blowing cold. But with trouble shooting was able to find the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
2 Participants
Mom Toy
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing