Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed when I select sport driving mode the 8th speed is not engaged even when driving at 110 KMH
Is it normal ? I know sport mode is not as fuel efficient than all other modes and I wonder if any of you experienced the same situation.
Since sport mode is made for performance it’s maybe the reason why the 8th gear is not functional or maybe will engage at a much higher speed.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
405 Posts
Agreed, no 8th. Worse, it hangs in 3rd way too long. But sport mode does make it feel like my old V8 Toyota 4Runner (and gets the same 16mpg around town).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed, no 8th. Worse, it hangs in 3rd way too long. But sport mode does make it feel like my old V8 Toyota 4Runner (and gets the same 16mpg around town).
Thank you for the reply! Truly appreciated! Now i know it’s normal!

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6 AWD
140 Posts
I noticed when I select sport driving mode the 8th speed is not engaged even when driving at 110 KMH
Is it normal ? I know sport mode is not as fuel efficient than all other modes and I wonder if any of you experienced the same situation.
Since sport mode is made for performance it’s maybe the reason why the 8th gear is not functional or maybe will engage at a much higher speed.
To me it sounds like it might be normal operation. I know mine will be in only 7th @ 60 without the cruise control being set. If I set the cruise control at that speed, it'll go to 8th. In fact it will go to 8th @ 50 and maybe even lower. Have you tried that?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I drove up to 65 steady for 15 minutes on straight line and still, it never shifted to 8th gear. According to some info I read and videos I viewed, the sport mode is not fuel efficient compared to other modes. That could be the reason why it is stuck on 7th gear due to the way they programmed it

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6 AWD
140 Posts
I drove up to 65 steady for 15 minutes on straight line and still, it never shifted to 8th gear. According to some info I read and videos I viewed, the sport mode is not fuel efficient compared to other modes. That could be the reason why it is stuck on 7th gear due to the way they programmed it
Well, Sport mode is, well, Sport mode. If you really want to call it that. And, no, it's not intended for best mpg, it's intended to aid a bit more aggressive driving style. I've noticed, at least on mine, it does add a little extra throttle response, raises rpm/shift points, hold gears longer & down shifts more aggressively when you slow down. I've read that some say it might even increase steering response & tighten up the suspension but I have a hard time telling that.

If your ultimate goal is for it to just be in 8th @ 50, 60, 70, 80 for better mpg, use cruise control. If yours is anything like mine, it'll go there. Also you can just manually shift it there. As long as you leave it in manual mode (even in Sport setting) it will hold that gear until you slow to a point where it will automatically start to down shift. And, as long as it is in manual mode, it will stay in the gear it down shifts too (or that you manually down shift too) but it will not automatically up shift as you increase speed. You will have to manually up shift it or, again, set cruise control.

Again, I'm just telling you what I've observed on mine, a typical US model, I guess. I know there are some differences between US & Canadian models so yours might be different, but I can't really imagine all that much.
Hope this answers a question or two.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6 AWD
140 Posts
Ok, so I admit it, your question and my curiosity about how 8 speed in Sport mode really worked got the better of me. I had to do a little highway run this morning so here's my observation about Sport mode (no cruse control): its in 4th at ≈ 40 mph, 5th ≈ 50, 6th ≈ 55-60, 7th ≈ 65 & wait for it, 8th @ ≈ 75! It would down shift to 7th at the slightest prod of the throttle, grade, or if the speed dropped much below 70. It would shift up to 8th if the cruise control was set at any speed down to ≈ 45.

In manual/Sport mode it will hold what ever gear it's in regardless of how hard or often you mat the accelerator but not start down shifting until the speed has a dropped a lot as mine held on to 8th from 75 all the way down to 40 before it downshifted to 7th. Then I had to manually down shift a gear or two for power to merge back into traffic because at that speed in 7th the engine was at 1500 rpm a completely flat! I suppose if I had let the speed drop a bit more it might have dropped back to 6th or 5th or 4th but by that time I'd seen all I needed too.

I don't know if tells you anything, but here's my take, if you want 8th, use another mode, cruise control, manual or just go faster! ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so I admit it, your question and my curiosity about how 8 speed in Sport mode really worked got the better of me. I had to do a little highway run this morning so here's my observation about Sport mode (no cruse control): its in 4th at ≈ 40 mph, 5th ≈ 50, 6th ≈ 55-60, 7th ≈ 65 & wait for it, 8th @ ≈ 75! It would down shift to 7th at the slightest prod of the throttle, grade, or if the speed dropped much below 70. It would shift up to 8th if the cruise control was set at any speed down to ≈ 45.

In manual/Sport mode it will hold what ever gear it's in regardless of how hard or often you mat the accelerator but not start down shifting until the speed has a dropped a lot as mine held on to 8th from 75 all the way down to 40 before it downshifted to 7th. Then I had to manually down shift a gear or two for power to merge back into traffic because at that speed in 7th the engine was at 1500 rpm a completely flat! I suppose if I had let the speed drop a bit more it might have dropped back to 6th or 5th or 4th but by that time I'd seen all I needed too.

I don't know if tells you anything, but here's my take, if you want 8th, use another mode, cruise control, manual or just go faster! ?
Wow Unbelieveble ! 75 MPH to get the 8th gear is quite amazing.
Hell yeah I will test it soon. I read your description and I really appreciate your explanation. So much to discover. I will make my tests for sure.

Thanks again !

·
Registered
2017 Sorento
108 Posts
The one I test drove the other day while having an oil change would do like mentioned above at around 75 it would up shift. Which is what I expect it to do. Once you get up to the speed limit it shifts into 8th then set the cruise at 80-85(Texas speed limits). It holds the gears longer making it much nicer to drive less sluggish and better throttle response. Less lug then wait for it to downshift.

I usually only use sport mode when towing or when I want to have a little fun (as much as you can driving an SUV).

I do prefer the 8 speed over the 6 speed in our 17 though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts