Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tire dealers and garages are all pushing Nitrogen in tires as a great thing. Don't get caught in the hype. I was at a tire dealer recently where they were pushing nitrogen, by saying that Nitrogen is thicker than air, so it doesn't leak out of the tire as readily. You alsoo get less variation due to temperature fluctuations.

Keep in mind the following:
Air is 78% Nitrogen: So how can the other 20% have such an effect.
Density of Air and Nitrogen are almost identical. About 2% different
Viscosity of Air and Nitrogen are almost identical
The Thermal expansion coefficient of Air and Nitrogen are identical
The only difference is that they will charge about $5/tire for Nitrogen. Air is Free

I spoke to mechanics at the dealership, where I drive the shuttle and was told this was all snake oil.

Don't waste your money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is the first I have heard of tire deals pushing nitrogen.
I am in the aviation maintnenace field and we use it in aircraft tires, mostly because it contains less moisture. Less moisture means less corrosion on the rim and no water particles freezing at altitude. As for vehicles I do not see any advantages.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the first I have heard of tire deals pushing nitrogen.
I am in the aviation maintnenace field and we use it in aircraft tires, mostly because it contains less moisture. Less moisture means less corrosion on the rim and no water particles freezing at altitude. As for vehicles I do not see any advantages.
I suspect that the aviation industry is where this whole concept came from. As for moisture, any ice or moisture, even in a Canadian winter would be minimal and would turn back into water vapour, in most cases, when the tires warmed up. The temperature extremes in a plane are much more dramatic.

The mechanics said that they would likely top it up with air anyway, if the pressure dropped a bit.

Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The tire dealers and garages are all pushing Nitrogen in tires as a great thing. Don't get caught in the hype. I was at a tire dealer recently where they were pushing nitrogen, by saying that Nitrogen is thicker than air, so it doesn't leak out of the tire as readily. You alsoo get less variation due to temperature fluctuations.

Keep in mind the following:
Air is 78% Nitrogen: So how can the other 20% have such an effect.
Density of Air and Nitrogen are almost identical. About 2% different
Viscosity of Air and Nitrogen are almost identical
The Thermal expansion coefficient of Air and Nitrogen are identical
The only difference is that they will charge about $5/tire for Nitrogen. Air is Free

I spoke to mechanics at the dealership, where I drive the shuttle and was told this was all snake oil.

Don't waste your money.
AMEN!

I never check the number but I was sure it was pretty close!
Tx davidkbrown to bring us some light!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was wondering this same thing, my dealer wants me to pay 99 for the nitrogen that was put in the tires in KOREA??? I'm about to go down and argue it out. hell, they also want to charge for the factory tint.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I refused to pay for the nitrogen, although I did end up getting nitrogen in my tires for free. (Im assuming wherever the dealer got the car from already did this).

·
Registered
6 Posts
i got the nitrogen in both 2010 rio5 and 2009 rondo we just bought. Can you add reg air to the tires if you have nitrogen? or do you have to "drain" the tires of the nitrogen first?

Danny

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
yes, you can add any amount of air in which actually you have 70% of nitrogen...
since you are here, fill out your profile, please.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I was wondering this same thing, my dealer wants me to pay 99 for the nitrogen that was put in the tires in KOREA??? I'm about to go down and argue it out. hell, they also want to charge for the factory tint.
none of these cars come from korea with nitrogen in them. they don't come with factory tint unless it's a suv or minivan such as the borrego, sedona, sorento, or the sportage. arguing probably won't get you anywhere because these are dealer add-ons, not factory so they can charge what they want.

·
Registered
149 Posts
This is the biggest bunch of bull since Global Warming! How do you check to see if you truly have nitrogen in a tire anyway? I have some ocean front property for sale in Montana and mountain property for sale in Florida!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Snake oil is about right. I was in the tire business for 20 years. Are there advantages? Yes, are they noticeable to any but an elite few?.. no. Are they worth the money time and hassle?…no. Unless your looking to get that 1/10000 of a sec advantage in your 2 million dollar indy car…why bother. In the biz of tires we use to press the shop guys to "sell air" in other word sell something else beside the tire to make the tire more profitable...warrenties, lifetime balancing, ect Nit is just that selling profit for the dealer. If the notwothy shop has an air drier on the lines to protect his equipment....that gives you all the advantage of nit youll ever need...Just put in the air at the right pressure and youll be fine even for racing.... they're putting the hot air in the sales pitch instead of the tire... Just alot of hot air...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I totally agree except for the part where the OP says Air if Free - a lot of stations here have their air hoses now connected to where you have to put in $0.50 to get at the air .. apparently the air may be free but the delivery method will cost ya :mad:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Costco uses Nitrogen in their tires and it's included in the sale of the tires. Also if you're a member of Costco, you can fill up your tires there at no cost.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Oxygen does leak out a bit faster; some say about 30% faster, but the effect is only 30% of 21%, so not very important. After a few months the remaining gas will be oxygen depleted, so will be very much the same as a nitrogen fill. There might be something in the "dry nitrogen" argument, but I've never seen any condensate/corrosion in my steel wheels; nor do I find any condensate in the air lines that I use to fill the tyres.

Possibly it all started when racers found it easier to fill from cylinders of compressed dry nitrogen, rather than depend on small compressors etc. I'd be inclined to use Argon if it were available.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Will be doing this to the wifes saturn aura. It runs low profile tires and anytime the temp falls into the 40's and below, we get the tire preasure warning light on in the morning. Hopefully this is fix this annoying issue.

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
the temp falls into the 40's and below, we get the tire preasure warning light on in the morning
Did you bother to check the pressure to make sure it is a real problem?

What size is it?

Besides, it does not matter what size it is as based on the gas law (pV=nRT) it does not matter what the volume is (when you compare two different systems). Pressure change is only T related, because n and V remain in same ratio (n/V=C)

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Ill look in a bit, the preasure is fine, when it goes below 50 or so we always get the light on, its only first thing in the early morning, goes away once you drive a few miles.

it has happened last 2 years, BUT never happens in the middle of summer at all when temps at night are nice and above 50.. NEVER.

That is why I suspected the lower sidewalled tires.

·
Registered
396 Posts
nitrogen

my car came with nitrogen in the tires . 2 years and 35000 klm and ive never added air yet..... tires read as recomended pressure still ...... i wouldnt ask to have it put in but i can only say its a good thing if the car comes with it

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
23 Participants
Gonzalez106
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing