Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1999 kia Sportage 2.3l long stroke modified ,2005 Magna 3.5l,2006 nissan navara d22
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gents,
Have finally got around to rebuilding my knackered sporty engine,but encountered some problems in the removal.the major ones being the 4 bolts behind the head in front of the firewall.
The lack of space was a shocker for any tool I had .Also it was the first time these bolts had been cracked it was on the edge of my physical limitations.
there was only one thing I did not do and that was to take out the main engine mounts and control the amount of sag with a jack underneath.
In the end I ripped the head off to gain greater access but i would prefer to have the head and timing all assembled prior to installation of new rebuild.
Any use full comments ,happy to receive them.
regards Dave:D

·
Premium Member
96 4 DOOR 4WD SPORTAGE, 2014 Hyundai Elantra GT, 2015 Accent Hatchback Sport
651 Posts
Dave,
They are a total pain to get to. It may help to remove the motor mounts and lower the engine a little. The other thing you can do is loosen the body mount nuts and lift the body 2" to get at them.
I hired a guy that I worked with that had small hands and he was able to reach them.

Good luck and keep us posted on the build.

UPYOURKIA

·
Premium Member
1999 kia Sportage 2.3l long stroke modified ,2005 Magna 3.5l,2006 nissan navara d22
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nghtmare engine removal

Thanks for the comments upyourkia I,ll take a look at the front body mounts tomorrow .I was planning a little body lift but not so soon.
regards Dave

Anyone dropped the engine in as a full assembly before?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts