Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage AWD 2.0L
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its about time to change my spark plugs, and was wondering which NGK Iridium spark plugs would work for my 2011 AWD 2.0L 6 speed shiftable automatic Sportage? i learned that spark plugs have different heat ranges they burn at and need a specific one for my sportage?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
1,945 Posts
Replace with OEMs..............

·
Registered
2011 AWD Sportage SX
926 Posts
you could if you wanted too... but if the cost difference is too much Id go with stocks and save you the money.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nah i wanna do the iridium to get sum more performance...

·
Registered
213 Posts
If you think you will find a noticeable differance over a correctly specified and set up plug, you have read a bit much of the marketing info ... ;)

WD :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
one way to find out is to try... also they are said to last longer

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
You'd be better off going with platinums if you want my opinion. Iridium plugs typically last longer, but if you are truly concerned about performance, you won't want to keep the plugs more than 60-80k miles anyway. From a performance aspect, the difference is negligible between Platinum vs iridium plugs. Really the only difference is their usable life. The NGK platinum plugs running in my LX Sedona have lasted 140k and are still going strong. I do all highway miles though.....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Its about time to change my spark plugs, and was wondering which NGK Iridium spark plugs would work for my 2011 AWD 2.0L 6 speed shiftable automatic Sportage? i learned that spark plugs have different heat ranges they burn at and need a specific one for my sportage?

Thanks in advance
I have been researching the same topic. Here's what I found:

NGK does not make a spark plug for the 2011 2.0L

The factory plug is a Denso. I am told NGK and Denso are made by the same company. (I have not been able to confirm that.) It seems there are different opinions about overall quality.

Locating a Denso spark plug has been a challenge. I went to AutoZone, O'Reilly, Advance Auto... they ALL said Autolite spark plug Part # XP5325 was a similar plug. I bought them because I have some time off and wanted to get it done. Do not buy them. They do not fit. They are visibly larger diameter. Had to return.

The local dealer did not have any in stock.

Here is the plug number for the Denso ZXU20HCR8
Here is the part number for the Denso 267700-7550

Here is a link to the specs: http://www.denso.co.jp/ja/products/aftermarket/repair_parts/plug/cross_ref/pdf/partnumber.pdf

Also, there is some interesting information from Denso that says change at 35K. My owners manual says change at 60K. The 2013 owners manual says change at 45K.

Let me know if you find NGK plugs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I still haven't found out what heat range plug to get, for example 4,5 or 6 etc... so i haven't been able to figure out if i can get them here...

·
Registered
2011 TechnoOrange Sx, 2008 Toyota Solara SLE, 1946 Chevrolet Fleetline Aerosedan
66 Posts
Amazon says it doesn't fit a 2011 (or 2012, 2013 either).

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage SX, 2016 Ford Focus RS
479 Posts
If you are hoping for performance increase plain old copper is the best as it is the best conductor. The purpose of iridium, platinum and other fancy/expensive metals is they don't wear out as quickly.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I still haven't found out what heat range plug to get, for example 4,5 or 6 etc... so i haven't been able to figure out if i can get them here...
From what I have read, the heat range index on the recommended OEM Denso spark plugs is (20), the shipped factory-gap is .8 mm (.0315 / .032 US),

ZXU20HCR8
.....^^....^

Also from what I've read, NGK does not make an equivalent spark plug as of this date: the electrode depth is custom-tailored for the 2.0 turbocharged engine in your vehicle, I would not recommend 'trying' another brand equivalent plug.

The spark plug in your vehicle is a 'thin wire' electrode type: you have to be extra careful if spark plug gap adjustment is needed, see the Denso FAQ in the following link:

Frequently Asked Questions: DENSO Iridium

re: ordering - try PM'ing cobra259 here on the forum, hopefully he can help you out with this.

--
(If any 2.0 Turbocharged motor owners have additonal info or corrections, please post, Thanks.)

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
Replace with OEMs..............
Best answer.

Spark plugs will NOT give you extra power. This has been talked about at length all over the internet. It might seem that way when you change them, but only because you're putting fresh plugs in.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info so far, however my Sportage is not turbocharged its just a plain 2.0L 6 speed automatic AWD

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
NGK Iridium IX® Spark Plugs

This is said supposed to work?
No. It is the manufacturer's website/advertisement, so they are going to make all sorts of claims.

They are a giant waste of money. Trust me, I fell for the hype years ago, they don't work, they merely last longer. Plain ol' copper plugs are the way to go, or maybe if you can find some platinum ones on sale. You shouldn't spend more than $15 on a set of four plugs.

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
1,945 Posts
Who cares what he does??????

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
Well ultimately, nobody should care. But he started a thread about something and he seems to be a little misinformed. No harm in trying to save someone a few bucks.

Ha ha ha, I recall going to "car shows" years ago and the Honda kids would always talk about their spark plugs as if they were a power adder. Right up there with big wings on FWD cars.

·
Registered
554 Posts
If the current spark plugs are fouled or damaged, replacing them can increase power and efficiency. IllJim69 is entirely right that unless there's something wrong, there's no "sparkier" spark adding horsepower. NGK is very reasonable, especially compared to other manufacturers' nonsense (eg. auto.e3sparkplugs.com)

Copper is cheap, but they foul quickly. Even where concours is concerned on OEM-copperplug cars, I prefer platinum plugs -- they last far longer, resist fouling, and are better quality (tolerances, strength, etc.) for very little extra money. As a drop-in technology replacement, platinum simply works better.

Iridium-alloy is excellent, lasting much longer. If you have the extra cash, go with the best. Extra reliability is a good thing, but iridium isn't necessary with regular servicing. I don't know what is available for Sportage.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts