Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Black Kia Rio5 SX w/ Nav, 2005 Honda Odyssey EX
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I have been following the threads on speaker replacement. I ordered 2 sets of Polk Audio db651 (NOTE: Crutchfield indicates they do not fit, but according to marleyfan61 they do). I also picked up some B-Quiet Extreme from Kijiji. I was lucky to find someone who had lots left over.

In any case, I told my wife that she already got me one of my Christmas presents. But because of warranty I have to install them right away, in case I need to return it. She almost died laughing! :lol:

I'll start with the lining and the speakers. Leave the tweeters in the columns in place and see what happens. I'll post some pics of the project in this thread. Cheers.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
If you're not putting in a sub you may want to consider going with the db651 rather than the 651s. They will give you better bass response. Crutchfield says they don't fit, but they said the same thing about the DXi650 and they fit fine with the supplied adapter.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@marleyfan61, thanks for the advice. I don't plan to put a sub in. But the db651 are our of stock. Also, did you install them both front and back? Crutchfield said they would not fit and more so in the back. Those 2 factors combined made me go with the db651s. They have not been shipped yet so I can change my order, but they are out of stock now. What to do... :confused:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@marleyfan61, I re-read your response on another post where you indicate you installed them on both front and back. So, I called them and asked them to hold the order. I have to call tomorrow since Canada is considered international and only that department can change my order. Thanks again for the heads up. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
I have the DXi650 and as far as I know the specs are the same as the db651. If so then they will fit front and back with the adapter bracket supplied by Crutchfield. Since Crutchfield.ca doesn't carry the DXi series I originally ordered the db651s on their recommendation. Then I saw that the Bellingham WA Best Buy had the DXi650 on sale so I took a chance and bought then and installed them before the db's even arrived. I'm very happy with them and they are sounding even better as they break it. I do have them amped though. They have a high sensitivity so they may sound ok straight off the head unit.

Bottom line for those ordering from Crutchfield....they aren't always right.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a pic that I found that shows the difference between the 2 speakers: db651 vs. db651s. It shows how much more the tweeter in the db651 raises over the woofer.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
Here's a pic that I found that shows the difference between the 2 speakers: db651 vs. db651s. It shows how much more the tweeter in the db651 raises over the woofer.
Just took a look at the clearance for my DXi650. There appears to be about 2 inches clearance between the tweeter and the door grill. If you were planning on putting the Polk grill on behind the stock door grill then it would not fit. But who does that?? I left the Polk grills off (anybody want them?) and there are no clearance issues.

It's up to you. If you want to be safe then go with the 's' model since you know it will fit. Personally I would take a chance and go for the non 's' model.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes. That's what I want to do. Thanks for checking about the clearance. But they are out of stock at Crutchfield. I could not stop the shipment since it had already gone out. I just put the picture here for context. It's not easy to hunt down the db651 without heavy shipping costs.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Managed to place the order through Crutchfield for the db651. They'll ship them as soon as they are back in stock. Thanks again marleyfan61.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
Hope it all works out for you and you enjoy the speakers. If they end up not fitting, boy am I gonna look like an ass. lol

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I received the db651s today, but I don't want to open the box since they're going back. I'm afraid to open it and get the itch to install them. :D

@Rosscofat, I will definitely take some pictures and post them here.

@marleyfan61, I also hope they do fit... for your sake :lol: Just kidding. Thanks for the help so far. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK. Finally, I got my db651 a couple of days ago. I managed to allocate today to get it installed. Overall, the outcome is positive. As expected, bass is not any more than before. In fact, the factory speakers seemed to have had more bass, but boomier. The highs and mids with the db651 installed are much clearer and cleaner. In fact, so clear that I feel they're too bright compared to the factory speakers. I will just have to play around to find the correct balance.

For the most part I followed the instructions already detailed in the thread My own speaker replacement experience on Kia Rio 5 2013 SX, with the following exceptions.

I did not follow Crutchfield's recommendations, I instead used the brackets that came with the speakers and not the ones that Crutchfield sent me. I was not keen on drilling a hole in the car door and the Polk Audio brackets were thinner, giving more room for the tweeter. I figured out that these brackets could be altered to fit the Rio. So, I drilled a hole in the brackets instead of the car ;).

Each bracket has a longest leaf part. I drilled a hole just below the existing one. I also made the other 2 bracket holes a little bigger and it all fit perfectly without drilling in the car. I managed to use the same screws as the factory speakers.

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Once I removed the speaker I used some B-Quiet to line the speaker mounting area on the door to provide a softer mounting area. I did not do the entire door as it was too cold. So, I will do that part in the spring. I then place the modified bracket in place.

I cut the car speaker wire and passed it through a covered hole on the front doors and back through the existing hole where it came from in the back doors. This way I was able to push the wires inside instead of having them out of the door frame.

I soldered speaker wire onto the speaker and used Posi Products Connectors. I then replaced the speaker back onto the bracket, tested it and onto the next one.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
Glad you got them installed Tony. I used the Crutchfield brackets. Just had to cut off the inside tabs. No drilling of any kind. I attached the bracket to the speaker using some small nuts and bolts and then installed the whole thing into the door.

Haven't done any sound dampening yet. The bass should improve in time with break-in. The quality of bass is much better than the stock speakers. The whole thing is much clearer than stock and definitely has more punch. The highs are a brighter than stock but not nearly as bright as the Kickers I sent back to Crutchfield.

Don't forget you can adjust the angle of the tweeters. Not sure how much difference it would make but it's worth checking out.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, no amp. It's loud enough since they have a sensitivity of 92db. The head unit handles it fine. I wish I had more eq. adjustments though. I'm also playing mp3's so they are somewhat weak on bass as it is. I also have to break them in. My kids did notice the difference right away, for what it's worth. I've been testing each speaker after install. So, it was harder to be objective. I'll test them on my way to work.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice. Those speakers look awesome. Watch out for any rattling :).

I listened to mine this morning and they sounded better than yesterday. I then drove home from work tonight and they sounded even better. I think I am getting used to them even more. Definitely cleaner sound. I can't wait to install the B-Quiet inside the door panels. That should provide even better bass response.

·
Registered
Kia Rio S UB 2012
94 Posts
I just finished installing Dynamat on my Rio, makes big difference in sound quality with my upgraded stereo.

front: Alpine Type R SPR-60
rear: Alpine Type R SPR-50
amp: Alpine MRX-V60 + remote control knob for sub
sub: Pioneer SLIM301S4

few photos of the sound deadening install :

http://s8.postimage.org/fpjii0kzp/IMG_2116_Large.jpg

http://s8.postimage.org/ktas67w3p/IMG_2122_Large.jpg

http://s9.postimage.org/a82uiezwv/IMG_2124_Large.jpg

http://s7.postimage.org/4m7pbv5m3/IMG_2132_Large.jpg

http://s14.postimage.org/layo5afoh/IMG_2134_Large.jpg

http://s9.postimage.org/gcyy9hhe7/IMG_2137_Large.jpg

and few pics during speaker install (rear speakers needed a bracket I made using MDF) :

Postimage.org / gallery - DSC 4975, DSC 4976, DSC 4978, DSC 4979, DSC 4984, DSC 4985, IMG 2023

I replaced ALL wiring with high quality wires and ran them all the way up to the stock deck.

If you have any questions, fee free to ask.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts