Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, just got my Kia rio5 tonight it is a 06 model and seems to run pretty good but also not the same for pep that I'm used to with my v-6 Honda Ridgline, but the payments are way nicer! lol
some of you might know me from other forms used to Own Mickey's Monte. i did all the work on it my self with the L.E.D.'s dash etc... so this one will become the new project, but never owning or even thinking of a KIA i have no clue where to start for finding parts etc...
Also need to make it reliable because in about 2 yrs it will be my daughters car and she don't need a race ready toy.

SO i know i want to do some stuff to this thing to help performance and also looks
where or what can i start with?

A C.I.A is going to be in by the end of the week ,They are easy to make.

are there any other things that you have found give these a bit more pep?

Oh this is a Automatic not the 5 sp.

Also has any one found the annoying ding in the dash? where is it? i will hook it to a L.E.D. that can flash instead lol.

any one done some custom type things to their cars for stereos, or looks,
i seen one that had a different front end on it then this one but not sure how much i want to get in to this one like that.

so any help will be great and if yall need help and i can I'm more then willing

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
Also a warm welcome from Ohio Mickey11736...
You did not state the mileage on the car so bear with me...

The car has around 6 years and if it has over 60k miles REPLACE the timing/cam belt.
This is the weakest link in KIA's chain.. If the belt breaks you trash the head and also possibly the complete engine. The engine is an interference type (like a lot of Hondas)
Newer KIAs have timing chains so that's not a big deal with them...

Also drain (as much as you can get out) the transmission and replace the fluid (amount) with fresh... This will extend your tranny's life... KIA says do this every 30k miles.

Change the antifreeze as it is only good for 2~3 years.. The coolant keeps the many dissimilar metals from attacking each other in the coolant system...These additives loose there ability to protect over time...

Of course change the oil and filters (a given).

You are in the Nebraska "area" so the winter weather will take it's toll on electrical connections...especially under the hood. Check/Clean battery connections, ground wires (from alternator to engine block, engine block to frame,battery (-) negative terminal wire to body/frame, grounds for headlight/directional lights).
Remove the cables...scrape to bare metal...apply silicon grease...re-assemble..
This should dramatically improve your winter reliability..
There are posts of these engines and trannys doing over 300k "if" maintained properly..
Dave

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento, 2015 Honda Pilot. 2004 Honda Element, 2013 Triumph Speedmaster
31 Posts
Welcome from WA state! :)

·
Registered
2001 Kia Rio, 2013 Kia Rio SX Premium, 2013 Kia Soul
82 Posts
Welcome from Bellevue, Nebraska!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts