Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm a new/used sorento owner and am very pleased. I have followed the sorento since kia pre announced it in 01. It always looked impressive. I am very cautious and so decided to wait until the unit had been out for a while.

Recently I entered Kia Sorento into the ebay blank and before you know it I was the proud owner of a sixteen month old 4wd Sorento. Only I live in Alabama and the car was in Long Island NY and I have never even been there.

Southwest Airlines came to the rescue since they fly directly into MacArthur at Islip Long Island and I got to try out the car in midtown NY and DC and back to Huntsville where mercifully there is no snow but there are a lot of small mountains.

This car works great but it only plays one cd at a time and I have been chasing a six cd player on ebay. However if I win I don't know how to remove and replace the old radio.

Is there a theft lock? How and what can I use to pry the dash panels off? Will they break? Also on this site I found the following

QUOTE(billquinn1 @ Dec 11 2004, 06:27 AM)
Does anyone know how to remove the dash around the radio? I would like to swap the factory radio with an XM ready one but I see no way in. Any description of the process would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Look at my post of 10th November in Accessories section of www.sorentoclub.com.
Once the trims are off the rest is obvious.
TopReport Post

Where is ithe Accessories section and how do I get to the 10 November post to see how it is done? I think this is a great site and hope to learn a lot about my Sorento.
Incidentally I have bought the factory accessory rooftop carrier and plan to buy the mud flaps. Any comments.

Ray Kelly

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
Originally posted by raykellyray@Jan 8 2005, 11:57 AM
Hi,

I'm a new/used sorento owner and am very pleased. I have followed the sorento since kia pre announced it in 01. It always looked impressive. I am very cautious and so decided to wait until the unit had been out for a while.

Recently I entered Kia Sorento into the ebay blank and before you know it I was the proud owner of a sixteen month old 4wd Sorento. Only I live in Alabama and the car was in Long Island NY and I have never even been there.

Southwest Airlines came to the rescue since they fly directly into MacArthur at Islip Long Island and I got to try out the car in midtown NY and DC and back to Huntsville where mercifully there is no snow but there are a lot of small mountains.

This car works great but it only plays one cd at a time and I have been chasing a six cd player on ebay. However if I win I don't know how to remove and replace the old radio.

Is there a theft lock? How and what can I use to pry the dash panels off? Will they break? Also on this site I found the following

QUOTE(billquinn1 @ Dec 11 2004, 06:27 AM)
Does anyone know how to remove the dash around the radio? I would like to swap the factory radio with an XM ready one but I see no way in. Any description of the process would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Look at my post of 10th November in Accessories section of www.sorentoclub.com.
Once the trims are off the rest is obvious.
TopReport Post

Where is ithe Accessories section and how do I get to the 10 November post to see how it is done? I think this is a great site and hope to learn a lot about my Sorento.
Incidentally I have bought the factory accessory rooftop carrier and plan to buy the mud flaps. Any comments.

Ray Kelly
No there isnt a theft lock. I took the headunit out of my Sorento. It is really easy. The two panels (one on each side of the headunit) that run from the top of the dash down to the console area pop right off. I took a small flat head screwdriver and a rag to prevent any damage and inserted it in a couple of spots and they came right off. Once they are both off. You will need to remove the part of the dash that is above and around the head unit. It is a total of 8 screws. Be careful when removing that piece because the clock, hazard button, rear window defoster and the wiper deforster buttons will come off with it and the wiring isnt really all that long they unplug really easy.
Here is a picture to help ya out.[attachmentid=109]
Good luck. Let me know if ya need more info.
I put mud flaps on my Sorento. They are the plastic molded ones from kiapartspeople.com. Oh ya welcome to the site.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts