Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Periwinkle here - new to the forum.

I have recently acquired a New Kia Picanto in Black, it is a 1.1 and I find it very sluggish compared to my 1.25 Zetec Fiesta I used to own. I am a little disappointed as I really enjoy driving and we live in a very hilly area. I get frustrated when the revs are up to 4 when I am only trying to go up a fairly minor hill in 3rd gear. Any suggestions apart from change my car? LOL

Also I have scraped the wheel trims a bit parking ( we live on a very tight road park space wise and I was getting used to it) any suggestions where I can get reasonbly priced alloys to make it look a little more stylish?

When I tell you all my first car ( pre-kids) was a two seater softop Triumph Spitfire you will see why my Picanto is disappointing me. I wonder if a different model would suit better and anybody got experience of the 7 seaters in the range as I have an expanding family.

All answers appreciated.
Peri xx :p

·
Registered
2004 Kia Picanto
49 Posts
Hey Peri,

Sorry for reading your disappointment about the Pica. I've had exactly the opposite experience, although there are some minor things which could be better.

My previous cars were all more powerful, bigger, more prestigious and more expensive. Nevertheless, after a fortnight I've gotten the Pica under my skin. It's so crazy that I even avoid driving my wife's car which I consider as being a technically more advanced, safer and comfortable car.

Never driven a Spitfire myself but what I know from engines from the 70's is that the efficiency in having max torque, max power and lowest fuel consumption is not to be compared with what modern engineering can do.

My first car was a Toyota Starlet 1.2 which I made some tune up. The car was literally made of tin cans and the engine was relatively powerful. This gave a HP/weight ratio which I won't get in a similar mini car today. However, I still think that a (relatively) modern car as the Picanto is a good compromise between horse power, torque and lowest possible engine size.

No personal experience with 7-seaters but have asked 2 colleagues thanks to your request. One has a brand new Toyota Corolla Verso 1.6-16V and the other an Opel Zafira (supposed it's called Vauxhall in the UK) 1.8-16V. Both cars have a high technical and design quality. In Denmark which I believe is the country in the EU which has the highest taxes on cars, two groups of cars are selling remarkably well: mini cars like Picanto, VW Fox, Fiat Panda etc. and MPVs like the above mentioned. The latter group has a ratio called 40% diesel powered, 60% petrol.

Personally, if I should spend the money on an MPV I'd choose a turbo diesel machine as this gives you a race-like torque.

Good luck on your search! :) By the way, congrats on your expanding family!

Cheers,
Kneeler

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi Periwinkle.

Can't help on the sluggish thing. Mines the same but I use mine for driving lessons so it's not a problem for me. The Sedona has been very successful seller for KIA but Which? magazine had a very scary report that in a frontal impact the driver is afforded virtually no protection and should expect major damage to chest and legs.
I drive a 1997 seven seat Landrover Discovery which has never let me down and at 2 and a half tons, returns just over 32mpg from the turbo diesel engine. I've driven the Sorento and like it very much. Not seven seats but a good 4X4.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Picanto
243 Posts
In order to get more speed out of their Pica's several members have modified their cars with a new airfilter. This improves air flow to the engine and returns more speed. The 1.25 zetec in the Fiesta is a very good and also very nippy engine. please refer to This post for help.

Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Alloys do look cool (see some of the garage items elsewhere in the forum) but will be expensive if you kerb them like the plastic trims you have already. Why not just buy a new set of trims at circa £35 for 4. Personally this is probably a good investment even if you don't use them immediately as they can be fitted at the point of resale to make the car look loved. Alternatively you have some to hand to fit if you badly scrape one of the trims only...saves frequent trips to the dealer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi
Well a 1.1 is the problem if you have been used to a bigger Engine.Just bought a kia Picanto Auto,and so far It's been going like a bomb.So no Disappointments here.Perhaps you should have gone for the Rio 1.4?
Best Wishes Kavimar

1 - 7 of 7 Posts