Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here stopping in to say HI!!!! and asking for some help!
Wife has 2000 Sportage that she loves to drive everyday. It's a 4x4 automatic with 82k.
The problem that I have is that the transmission won't shift into 1st or 2nd on it's own. If it's put into drive it starts out in high grear and can hardly pull it's self up to speed. If starting out in 1st it accelerates normally, but naturally you need to do the shifting manually. I believe that it's nothing more than a fuse, but I can't find it!
I have poured over the owners manual for fuse locations but nothing is shown in regard to the shift mechanism. Also the speedo and tach stopped working at the same time along with the front wipers, but the wipers have found their way back to life!

Any help is welcomed!!

Thanks
Corky

·
Registered
349 Posts
Check the 10A "Meter" fuse.

Your problem sounds like an electrical issue. I doubt it's a problem with the transmission itself.

Also, is the check engine light on and is the "Hold" light flashing?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Axe Man@Apr 25 2005, 05:23 AM
Check the 10A "Meter" fuse.

Your problem sounds like an electrical issue. I doubt it's a problem with the transmission itself.

Also, is the check engine light on and is the "Hold" light flashing?
Thanks!!
I found out yesterday that it was indeed the "Meter" fuse. I was expecting to see something like Trans, or Shift or something that would describe the fuse better. Also would kill Kia to put something in the owners manual about the shift module being fused with the tach and speedo??? Anyway back up and running for pennies instead of mucho dollars.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Good deal. But fuses don't usually blow for no reason. If the fuse blows again you need to investigate what is causing the overload.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts