Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Kia Rio sedan
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I picked up a 2006 rio sedan this past weekend. My minivan finally died and I wanted something cheap with good mpg and these got good reviews. I got it from a college kid for $950. 129k miles. Needs an alignment and sway bar link. Other than that, the mechanic said everything looked good! The owner said her dad did the maintenance, so I'm guessing it was fairly well maintained.

And it also has 4 new tires! I think I made a sound purchase. It reminds me of my 2005 Hyundai accent, which was very good to me.

The only qualm I have so far is the noisy/high rpms in 5th gear. I've read that is normal on these and I'm sure I'll get used to it. So what say you, Rio owners? Did I do good? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio
129 Posts
Seems good to me. Any pictures? If the paint is good and the body is rust free then I would say you did really good.

·
Registered
Rio Pride JB HB 1.4 G4EE MT 2011
21 Posts
others important think its, Timing Belt.
G4EE/ ED its interference Engine, if you dont know the service record histroy of it, better Replace it soon.
Factory recomendation change every 50K Km.
I change my T. Belt at 70K, and apperaence good but there small crack. now my odo 135K at 140K a would replace my TB again..

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,633 Posts
others important think its, Timing Belt.
G4EE/ ED its interference Engine, if you dont know the service record histroy of it, better Replace it soon.
Factory recomendation change every 50K Km.
I change my T. Belt at 70K, and apperaence good but there small crack. now my odo 135K at 140K a would replace my TB again..
Not sure what that is for all locations, but in the US it's 60K miles.

Never rely on appearance of a timing belt.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Rio sedan
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback.

Timing belt was done two years and 30k miles ago [along w/ the clutch] Body is in decent shape - a few random rust spots but nothing major and it IS in MN.

It's at my main mechanic now [first inspection was at a goodyear, as it was the only thing open on a Sat afternoon] Sounds like it's gonna need some sway bar bushings, a new wheel bearing, and possibly a new battery. If that's all it needs I'm OK with that.

I just needed something cheap, reliable and with good MPG.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Rio sedan
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Turns out it needs a lil more work than I was hoping: Valve cover job, sway bar links, new wheel bearing - but they're gonna throw in a oil change, air filter, and new plugs. Gonna be around $700 all said and done. I'll be into it for $1700 when the work is done. I can live w/ that if I can get a few yrs out of it without any additional major repairs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts