Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2.7 V6 2004 optima I can't locate the Cranks Position Sensor on this car.

I can't find and Google threads on it or any info anywhere.

Doe's anyone have pictures or just some good info on where this sensor is??

Please help. Thanks :confused:

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,961 Posts
The crank sensor is located behind the lower timing belt cover. It is a known BAD part...The insulation on the three wires attached to it drys/cracks/falls off and shorts the center conducting wire to each other o to ground...
This engine is an "interference" type engine and "if" the timing belt slips teeth or breaks you will trash the engine.. KIA says replace EVERY 5yrs OR 60k miles..
If you have double that (120k) then replace the TB,tensioners,water pump, and the crank sensor while you are in this area and have the car torn down any way..
These are very good engines "if" properly maintained...
Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The crank sensor is located behind the lower timing belt cover. It is a known BAD part...The insulation on the three wires attached to it drys/cracks/falls off and shorts the center conducting wire to each other o to ground...
This engine is an "interference" type engine and "if" the timing belt slips teeth or breaks you will trash the engine.. KIA says replace EVERY 5yrs OR 60k miles..
If you have double that (120k) then replace the TB,tensioners,water pump, and the crank sensor while you are in this area and have the car torn down any way..
These are very good engines "if" properly maintained...
Dave
Thanks but I think you're wrong about the sensor location. I've replaced the timing belt and tensioners and I'm waiting to put everything back together cause I'm not able to find the sensor and it is nowhere visible at the timing belt location. The covers are off and everything is exposed and there is no sensor. I've heard that it's somewhere on the transmission bell housing but there is so much stuff in the way over the bell housing that I can't see it and don't know where to start.

The 4 cylinders engines have the sensor behind the timing belt cover and I've seen pictures of that but no pictures or info on the 2.7 V6 engines.

And yes these are great engines and this car has been great but my crank sensor is not working and this is holding me up big time.

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,851 Posts
Thanks but I think you're wrong about the sensor location. I've replaced the timing belt and tensioners and I'm waiting to put everything back together cause I'm not able to find the sensor and it is nowhere visible at the timing belt location. The covers are off and everything is exposed and there is no sensor. I've heard that it's somewhere on the transmission bell housing but there is so much stuff in the way over the bell housing that I can't see it and don't know where to start.

The 4 cylinders engines have the sensor behind the timing belt cover and I've seen pictures of that but no pictures or info on the 2.7 V6 engines.

And yes these are great engines and this car has been great but my crank sensor is not working and this is holding me up big time.
Take a look on the KiaTech web site - there's a reasonably clear image of the CKP and location.

The attached PDF excerpt is from that site.

BTW, what led you to suspect a bad CKP ?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,961 Posts
My bad....
Thanks Ron for your help..
Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help. I found the sensor today on the engine block right near the transmission housing and it's almost behind the front exhaust manifold. A very tight and irritating place for it to be.

I had a code P0335 and the car shut off on me all of a sudden and wouldn't start. And when I pulled the sensor today the wires were completely melted and making contact with each other on bare wire.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Are you planning on shielding the wire on the new sensor to help prevent that from happening again?
And if so, what did you have in mind?
I'm sure others can learn from your ideas or suggestions. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts