Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I appreciate any help you can offer.

my friend has a 2005 3.5l sorento. It threw a CEL yesterday. I pulled it and it is a B1S1 oxygen sensor gone bad. Where on this vehicle would that be, and is it a DIY type of replacement?

THanks in advance
gerry

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
There is one O2 sensor on each exhaust manifold, and some markets may have a third after the cat in the main pipe. The problem is deciding which one! They are relatively easy to replace and in this car actually reasonably easy to access, but sometimes like anything screwed into cast iron may be stuck or frozen in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is one O2 sensor on each exhaust manifold, and some markets may have a third after the cat in the main pipe. The problem is deciding which one! They are relatively easy to replace and in this car actually reasonably easy to access, but sometimes like anything screwed into cast iron may be stuck or frozen in.
ok sorry for not being specific enough. this is a usa market non California car. I would assume the B1S1 means bank1 sensor 1. which one would that be and is it easy to change? Also... and I can call kia locally to ask, but would it be covered under the warranty.. it's a 100k warranty as I recall?

·
Registered
I now drive a 2020 Ram Bighorn. Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,514 Posts
On the 3.5 each exhaust bank has a pre-cat sensor and a post-cat sensor. There are not any Pre or Post on the third cat downstream.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,720 Posts
There are 2 up streams (near exh manifold) and 2 down streams. B1S1 is up stream, right hand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
There are 2 up streams (near exh manifold) and 2 down streams. B1S1 is up stream, right hand.
guys, sorry if these questions seem kind of basic, but it is not my vehicle. it is a transverse motor correct? so does that make this the sensor near the firewall or near the radiator? I thought it might be near firewall, but an not sure. would it be really accessible by just taking off that plastic engine cover?
I just ordered the part, it should be here in a couple of days. I did try to sign up on kgis but for some reason the site never sent me the email verification. I tried twice with two different email accounts.

thank you again for all your help, it is appreciated

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,720 Posts
Right hand, would be towards the firewall.

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
On the 3.5 each exhaust bank has a pre-cat sensor and a post-cat sensor. There are not any Pre or Post on the third cat downstream.
Just shows the difference between markets, I just checked my car again I only have 2 sensors, both before the cats in the end of each manifold. The place for the after cat unit is there including the clips for the wiring but they are not fitted. I don't have the third cat after the V join in the pipe. This is a RHD March 2003 built car.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2020 Ram Bighorn. Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,514 Posts
My bad. I did not specify US model.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts