Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I want to improve the handling of my Sedona and need some help.

Can I increase the wheel size and to what (without it looking daft)?
Should I consider Alloys?
Then there's Springs & Dampers??
What tyres would you suggest/recommend?

Fiona

p.s. I'll be doing this myself (with some muscle help) so any advice would be welcome :blush:

·
Registered
391 Posts
you should already have alloys.

remember if you get bigger wheels you will need lower profile tyres to keep the acceleration etc the same - bigger wheels should mean faster top end and slower acceleration due to the amount of distance travelled per revolution, and power to turn the wheels.

the only advise I would give you is to be careful you do not put wheels and tyres which due to the current setup of the car might either scrub the tyres too quickly of put unneccessary load on the steering rack, drive shafts etc. my boss put some new wheels on his BMW and had no end of problems.

I am sure murphwhizz has some real facts rather than gossip though ;)

let me know how you get on I do feel the wheels on the sedona look a bit camp..

you may find that new wheels void the warranty and maybe the insurance

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
17" wheels seem to sit well on the Sedonas, seen a couple all blinged up, did improve the looks.
The most important thing is to get the offset right, I'll have to look up what the offset is on the Sedonas.
I can only recommend Eibach products for suspension personally, had them on my last car for 50k miles, including track day work with a few laps of the nurburgring thrown in. Upgraded current car with same setup!
http://www.eibachshop.com/index.php/cPath/232_235_236

·
Registered
66 Posts
Don't forget that its probally best to pick a tyre / wheel ratio that lets you keep Reinforced tyres too - try Elite in rainham or Leda suspension in essex who are very helpfull (I think they do eibach too as well as there own). Let me know how you get on with any lowered / progressive springs, but im keeping the steels as its very narrow and potholed round here and a new wheel trim and a "hammered steel" works out a lot cheaper :grin:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers guys.

Murphwiz - thanks for the website - I will make good use of that.
BTW (and I'm just being nosey) ... what's your top spd?

Fiona

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess (and it is a guess) that as you are altering the performance of the vehicle, the warrantly would be void. I will check up on this before I do anything. I may just have to settle for a better tyre in the meantime.

Fiona

p.s. 165mpg (n ... ice) tyres stuck like superglue I bet! Great feeling.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
It should only viod the warranty for that part of vehicle.
i.e put Eibach springs on, and shock springs a leak, they might get arsey about it...
But 9/10 dealers won't care, they will still get paid assuming it's a valid warranty claim.
The Bling'd up ones I've seen have still had warranty honoured.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think one of the best ways to make your car/van ride better is to get quality tires like Goodyear ComfortTreds or something like that. I've read many reviews about people who just put a good tire on their vehicle and it makes it feel like a totally different ride!

Check out this link and read all the reviews:

http://www.tirerack.com

Or, here is another good tire site:

http://www.1010tires.com

It's a good place to start anyway.

I really don't think it makes much difference if you have an allow rim or standard rim, or even bigger rim size for that matter. Again, more importantly I think the type of tire is what makes the difference. I'm no expert but this is my opinion. This is probably even more true regarding a van because there isn't much you can do for performance. With sports cars it may be different. Better shocks, struts, rims, tires, etc.. may all come into play with a sports car but not really a van I would imagine.

Anyone agree?

Well, good luck with what ever you decide. I know when my Hankook stock tires get old I am putting on some Goodyear Assurance ComforTred tires!

Check them out:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...ance+ComforTred

:banana:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Tyres do make a huge difference!
Take the Sorento, the XSE (now XT) version rides on low profile 18" rims, it rides BETTER than the stock 16" high sidewall tyred version...
Why?
The 18" wheels are shod with high quality softer compund Continental tyres.. rather than the ultra hard compound korean tyres.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts