Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on an 04 Sorento LX 3.5L gas engine. Car began cranking with no key in ignition, burned up starter; underhood fan(s) running too. 12V at start relay coil, except when in gear. First thought - bad ignition switch but start relay still activated when 6 pin connector at ign switch is disconnected. Thinking either a short to power somewhere in circuit bewteen the ign switch and neutral safety switch or solid state device stuck on - can anyone tell me if there is such a module between ign switch and neutral safety switch? If so, where is it physically? Wire colors to look for would help too. Much appreciate the help. Andy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In case anyone else has this issue and it isn't the usual suspect (ignition switch) - found water leak (prob from sunroof) into drivers kick panel fuse block, melted connector and carbon tracks across fuse block circuit board.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
Sorry no one offered any ideas...but...we would have been wrong anyway..
My first thought was the "MAIN" relay contacts were sticking...
Were you able to clean up the carbonized pc board?
The sunroof usually has drain tube/hoses that travel down the "A" pillar through the kick panel area and then through the floor in most cars...
Hope you got it repaired...
Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Board is toast - obviously a lot of water had been getting in there, through connector JB-13 apparently, shorting out a bunch of pins under that conector, and pooling near the two relays at the bottom of the assembly. Connector is badly melted, and Kia no longer supplies....Looking for (used) parts now.

Thanks for the heads-up on the sunroof drain tubes - that has to be a prime suspect. I'll take a look see if I can see anything. After a heavy rain a large puddle collects in the footwell....glad it isn't my vehicle!

·
Registered
2000 Toyota Tundra, 2009 Kia Sorrento, Subaru Legacy, '55 Packard Clipper Super, +++++
2 Posts
I'm having similar problems with my '09 Sorento. Car starts with key in the "ON" position and the starter continues to run until it's in Reverse or Drive. No sunroof. Kia wants to just start replacing parts but I'm not rich. I'm going to look at that board when my wife gets home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts