Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
05 kia sedona
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so new to me. It was a van my BF inherited. It is an 05 sedona with a few problems.

First the brakes I know it needs pads, very likely a rotor or two (bad weather has kept me from looking), and it sounds like a caliper sticking. I know how to solve this. I don't usually drive and had to drive it for about 10 minutes. The brake pedal seems soft like it goes about half way down before it catches (something my BF never mentioned) then when it comes to a full stop the pedal seemed to force itself up while making a buzzing noise. WTF is up with this? I'm almost 40 and have never had a brake pedal force up. BTW I did check the fluid and it is at a good level.

Second the steering. This thing steers like an old log wagon. It seems quite stiff even compared to my dads '02 F150. I thought it may be low on PS fluid but again nope. Is this just a thing with these vans? Possible causes if not?

I'm mechanacally inclined but most of my car knowledge is from working on my own pre 1985 stuff (just like the character of older cars). I don't know a lot about ABS (seems may be brake problem) or the Rack and Pinion type steering setup. I can fix anything with a wrench and the internet I just don't know where to look on this thing. Any Help is appriciated and Thank You in advance.

·
Registered
Sedona '02
136 Posts
Ok so new to me. It was a van my BF inherited. It is an 05 sedona with a few problems.

First the brakes I know it needs pads, very likely a rotor or two (bad weather has kept me from looking), and it sounds like a caliper sticking. I know how to solve this. I don't usually drive and had to drive it for about 10 minutes. The brake pedal seems soft like it goes about half way down before it catches (something my BF never mentioned) then when it comes to a full stop the pedal seemed to force itself up while making a buzzing noise. WTF is up with this? I'm almost 40 and have never had a brake pedal force up. BTW I did check the fluid and it is at a good level.

Second the steering. This thing steers like an old log wagon. It seems quite stiff even compared to my dads '02 F150. I thought it may be low on PS fluid but again nope. Is this just a thing with these vans? Possible causes if not?

I'm mechanacally inclined but most of my car knowledge is from working on my own pre 1985 stuff (just like the character of older cars). I don't know a lot about ABS (seems may be brake problem) or the Rack and Pinion type steering setup. I can fix anything with a wrench and the internet I just don't know where to look on this thing. Any Help is appriciated and Thank You in advance.
Brakes - a couple thoughts.

• bad master cylinder (very easy to replace) - look at Rockauto for many parts
  • bad calipers (rockauto again. easy to replace)
  • bad brake booster maybe?
Steering
  • maybe bad power steering pump? do you hear a lot of noise? Old car, the old pump will rob a lot of power from engine (I know from experience). New pump will give big power boost of engine.
  • I bought a OEM Mando made one (made in Korea) from Aadvance Auto (lucked out) with a coupon for around $60 about 9 mo ago. It was a steal. Fairly okay to replace. There are videos of it on Youtube. Not that hard to do.
If your steering rack is bad, can't help you there. That's a big $ and time. Not worth it for the age of vehicle.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona EX
23 Posts
Brake problems could be as you say, needing new rotors and pads and a possibly stuck caliper.

My 03 Sedona EX had the exact same problem with buzzing sound and force back on pedal. It was related the ABS module sensing a fluid pressure problem and trying to compensate. Mine ended up blowing a hard line (fluid pipe that runs underneath along the frame). Lost nearly all the fluid and that's when the buzzing stopped, but the brakes didn't work. Had to drive it 5mph a short distance to get it off the road and be able to stop. Hard lines are a huge pain to replace, but can be done.
Just don't forget to bleed the brakes afterwards. Not hard to do, though time consuming. My fiancee helped me with the bleeding and she's far from a mechanic.

As for steering issues, if it's very stiff to steer, that would only be normal after putting in new tie rods (project I'm currently on).
I would agree that the power steer pump could be starting to go, or possibly an issue with the rack being clogged up. I can report back with more info if need be.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,798 Posts
As for steering issues, if it's very stiff to steer, that would only be normal after putting in new tie rods (project I'm currently on).
Wouldn't all new cars be very stiff to steer, ......they all have new tie rods?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts