Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio 1.6 GDI Hatchback | Tuned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone.
My name is George and I'm from Tbilisi,Georgia (not the US State).
This is my first post here and I want to introduce my 2013 Kia Rio SX. 1.6 GDI naturally aspirated engine. Non turbo Factory 130-138HP. Made in Korea, imported from USA.
So far, I have this car for two years and I'm in love with it. I bought it with 41k mileage - now its 57k and still running perfect.
the things I changed in this time - engine oil and air filters, nothing more :p
I have my youtube channel and from time to time adding new videos about my baby Rio, you can check it Right Here.

I will start from beginning. It was usual car, nothing special, as you can see these first photos of it.

I was really enjoying it by everyday drive until my friend asked me to test it with his Honda Fit 1.5 AT...
Surely I beat him and that was my first ever drag roll race... My hands were shaking after I got out of car...
I felt that I want more of it... And that's where it started...

Take into consideration that since childhood, I'm huge fan of NFS Underground series and all that Fast and Furious stuff if you know what I mean,
so could not waste this chance to make something cool with my car.

So I started modify my car with a small steps.
First I bought factory aftermarket spoiler.
Then I painted front grill chrome layout with black matt.
Painted also brake calipers with red high temperature paint.
Painted engine cover with red and black.
Painted factory airbox cover with red.
Painted circuit breaker box cover with red.
Installed custom mud flaps with "Rio Sport" caption.
Added 10-12mm metal discs in coupling place at factory muffler, so now I have brr brrrrr sound :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Check video here, sorry for Georgian language only in video
I cut some plastic piece from front lower grill and inserted aluminum net from inner side and also painted it with black matt.
I changed fog lights with ones with angel eyes. Video will be later.
Also disassembled headlights, painted inside with black matt and installed angel eyes. Video will be later.
Installed aftermarket 16'' Volk Rays Te37 et40 7JJ instead of factory 17'' rims 6.5JJ.
Covered front and back lights with darker tint film.
And last but not least, installed shark fin antenna just few days ago. Check video here
All these are most part visuals, I'll add some photos also, forgive me my poor photographer skills.

P.S. As you can see, after changing 17'' rims with 16'' ones, there gap between wheel and fender got a little bit bigger and more noticeable, so I'm thinking to
buy lower springs, but here in Georgia we have not perfect roads everywhere so I'm afraid that lowering car will make some troubles during travel on bad roads, I may touch car's floor on some stones and stuff. Here I need your friendly tip with this 🙏

So I realized that I have cool looking car, but this is the thing, I'm sure you will understand me.
When someone looks at your "cool car" he will think that you got something under your hood. But I had stock stuff in there.... You feel the pain?!...
Here starts important part.
Here in Georgia we have one guy named Giorgi Gelashvili and he has own dyno stand and tuning garage called Gelashvili Performance / Geptuned.
So this guy basically is got famous with his skills for ECU tuning and building fastest cars in region. For you to know, he has three record breaker
drag racing car(own built) in Caucasus region. He also makes remote tuning for basically any country representatives. Long story short - He's the best.
So I decided to talk to this guy about tuning my baby Rio with a little mods, hope was to get some gain and yes, he told me that it was possible.
I got so excited.
I changed factory air filter, just threw it away with all silencer stuff and installed K&N short ram intake.
Also changed spark plugs to new ones and went to dyno...

So dyno said, stock power was 114 WHP~134HP on engine and 146 WNM.

Then I installed that new air intake and spark plugs and tuning has begun...
Long story short, final result was 123WHP~144HP on engine and 153WNM.

So this is not bad result for stock engine, only air intake changed. Although I was expecting more gain. Video will be a bit later.

And now I started to think, what else can I do with engine to make it get more horses and torque.

One option is to get turbocharger with all the stuff - but that's damn expensive in my Country.
Second option is to swap engine - but that isn't good idea also, cuz it's also expensive and only god knows result and how much time will project need.
So last option I'm thinking about is to reassemble this engine with aftermarket parts, so basically make stroker engine, so we could pull out some real gains. And if
I'll make it ofc it will need new full custom exhaust.

But the problem is I can not find any online shop for aftermarket tuned parts for this car. In local, we dont have any also.
This is the part of the story I'm in right now. I even made Kia Rio club Georgia but its growing slow, as there are not many of these cars in my Country and
basically there is no knowledge about such things for Kia Rio. I think I'm first one who's doing this stuff with it :geek:

Several days ago I discovered this forum and was excited to join you guys. Share my experience and listen to your's.
I may have missed some things about my long story but I will make updates.

I hope you will understand my dedication to this car since I'm the type of guy who loves process of making something new, everyone with money
can go and buy fast enough car but I want to be original, to have one and only, if you know what I mean...

Share your thoughts about it guys.
Dont be shy to give tips.
Thank you in advance. 😉✌

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio
165 Posts
Did you see the post on this forum about someone that took a wrecked Kia Forte turbocharged motor and put that into a Rio? That is most likley your only option if you want a faster Rio. I think that 98% of Rio owners are not looking to get any more performance from their vehicles. Thus the lack of aftermarket performance parts.

Good luck and keep posting about any upgrades that you do.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio 1.6 GDI Hatchback | Tuned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you see the post on this forum about someone that took a wrecked Kia Forte turbocharged motor and put that into a Rio? That is most likley your only option if you want a faster Rio. I think that 98% of Rio owners are not looking to get any more performance from their vehicles. Thus the lack of aftermarket performance parts.

Good luck and keep posting about any upgrades that you do.
Yes I saw that topic and as I mentioned that was one of options, but total price of project bites my pocket.
At the moment I really think about stroker... Have not clue where to find needed parts tho...
I'll keep it updated

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,357 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio, 2020 Ford Escape SEL, 2017 Chevrolet Colorado 2WT
1,171 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts