Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday, I got hold of a bluetooth OBD reader to provide a few moments of amusement. I haven't run it with the engine on yet but one thing has already caught my attention.

Of the static parameters, the car reports coolant temperature, intake temperature and ambient air temperature. Coolant and intake are as expected. Ambient temperature is reported as -40C. It is obviously a different sensor to the one that supplies the dashboard.

A question to other OBD users - does your car report this? It seems odd to bother reporting something that has no value.

If is in error it leaves me wondering what the consequence would be.

·
Registered
Cee'd 2 CRDi(126)
70 Posts
From memory I don't believe I get a value for ambient temperature sent through from my bluetooth adapter to Torque Pro. There are lots of missing values including oil temp and fuel level.

Here's one of my Torque screens. Here it's not connected, so no data is coming through, but there are a few null dials on this display when all is up and running.

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From memory I don't believe I get a value for ambient temperature sent through from my bluetooth adapter to Torque Pro. There are lots of missing values including oil temp and fuel level.

Here's one of my Torque screens. Here it's not connected, so no data is coming through, but there are a few null dials on this display when all is up and running.
The PC App I found is called OBD2Spy which gives a list of items the car is willing to report. Ambient is on the list so I think it is a reading rather than an absence of data.

All the fuel related stuff is not reported. Or, it seems, exhaust O2 so it is not possible to estimate fuel consumption from MAF minus O2. Our KA is petrol, of course, so MAF should give a direct result. This may be the way Torque App does it anyway.

·
Registered
Cee'd 2 CRDi(126)
70 Posts
I need to get around to having a more thorough play with mine. I've only had it a couple of weeks. I did have a quick dabble with the supplied software (several applications included on disk) and, for reasons I don't recall now, I chose not to continue with OBD2Spy.

The desktop apps I still have installed are ScanMaster-ELM, Forscan and Digimoto 4.03, but I have used none of them exhaustively - just a quick dabble to see what works (usefully) and what doesn't.

I've done the same with several Android apps too and the remaining shortlist is down to OBD Car Doctor, ScanMaster Lite and Torque Pro (paid).

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need to get around to having a more thorough play with mine. I've only had it a couple of weeks. I did have a quick dabble with the supplied software (several applications included on disk) and, for reasons I don't recall now, I chose not to continue with ODB2Spy.

The desktop apps I still have installed are ScanMaster-ELM, Forscan and Digimoto 4.03, but I have used none of them exhaustively - just a quick dabble to see what works (usefully) and what doesn't.

I've done the same with several Android apps too and the remaining shortlist is down to OBD Car Doctor, ScanMaster Lite and Torque Pro (paid).
One of the free apps saw the dongle, said it was a clone and refused to play. Apart from that, I guess it's down to what the car is prepared to report so the choice of app is just preference of presentation.

·
Registered
Kia ceed 1.6 CRDI 115HP
10 Posts
Yesterday, I got hold of a bluetooth OBD reader to provide a few moments of amusement. I haven't run it with the engine on yet but one thing has already caught my attention.

Of the static parameters, the car reports coolant temperature, intake temperature and ambient air temperature. Coolant and intake are as expected. Ambient temperature is reported as -40C. It is obviously a different sensor to the one that supplies the dashboard.

A question to other OBD users - does your car report this? It seems odd to bother reporting something that has no value.

If is in error it leaves me wondering what the consequence would be.
I have a 1.6 crdi 2011 Facelift with the following list of supported PIDs:

Your OBD Device claims to support PIDs:
PID: [column] human_name
00: [unknown] PIDs supported 00-20
01: [dtc_cnt] Monitor status since DTCs cleared
04: [load_pct] Calculated LOAD Value
05: [temp] Engine Coolant Temperature
0C: [rpm] Engine RPM
0D: [vss] Vehicle Speed Sensor
0F: [iat] Intake Air Temperature
10: [maf] Air Flow Rate from Mass Air Flow Sensor
11: [throttlepos] Absolute Throttle Position
13: [o2sloc] Location of Oxygen Sensors
1C: [obdsup] OBD requirements to which vehicle is designed
1F: [runtm] Time Since Engine Start
20: [unknown] PIDs supported 21-40
21: [mil_dist] Distance Travelled While MIL is Activated
23: [frpd] Fuel Rail Pressure (diesel)
24: [lambda11] Bank 1 - Sensor 1/Bank 1 - Sensor 1 (wide range O2S) Oxygen Sensors Equivalence Ratio (lambda) / Voltage
2C: [egr_pct] Commanded EGR
2D: [egr_err] EGR Error
30: [warm_ups] Number of warm-ups since diagnostic trouble codes cleared
31: [clr_dist] Distance since diagnostic trouble codes cleared
33: [baro] Barometric Pressure
3E: [catemp12] Catalyst Temperature Bank 1 / Sensor 2
40: [unknown] PIDs supported 41-60
41: [unknown] Monitor status this driving cycle
42: [vpwr] Control module voltage
45: [tp_r] Relative Throttle Position
49: [app_d] Accelerator Pedal Position D
4A: [app_e] Accelerator Pedal Position E
4C: [tac_pct] Commanded Throttle Actuator Control
4F: [unknown] External Test Equipment Configuration #1

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have a 1.6 crdi 2011 Facelift with the following list of supported PIDs:<.....>
This is what mine reports:

04 Calculated LOAD Value
05 Engine Coolant Temperature
0B Intake Manifold Pressure
0C Engine RPM
0D Vehicle Speed
0F Air Intake Temperature
10 Air Flow Rate from MAF
1C OBD requirements to which vehicle is designed
21 Distance Traveled While MIL is Activated
23 Fuel Rail Pressure
2C Commanded EGR
2D EGR Error value
30 Number of warm-ups since DTC cleared
31 Distance Since DTC cleared
33 Barometric Pressure
41 Monitor status this driving cycle
42 Control module voltage
46 Ambient air temperature

Quite a stingy set compared to yours.

OK, to answer my original question, yours doesn't offer ambient temperature. Here's a thought though, does yours have auto climate control?

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No auto climate control
The plot thickens.

If my ACC thinks ambient is -40 it would help explain some aspects of its hopeless behaviour (though certainly not all of it). Except that the built in diagnostic on the ACC panel does not show a sensor fault when -40 suggests an open circuit or short circuit, the two conditions it should be looking for. Either the OBD or the ACC is lying.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I also have a USB that I use with Torque.
Mainly to keep track of turbo boost and intake temps, since I have my car remaped.

BTW, can anyone tell me what kind of intake temps you get with ~1min of full throttle?

·
Registered
1.6 CRDI 66kW
107 Posts

·
Registered
Cee'd 2 CRDi(126)
70 Posts
Thanks. Unfortunately my specific model is not listed in the LT version and it is unclear whether the EX version does support my car. TBH I only use Torque infrequently to monitor for a DPF regen. Oil temperature is not something I feel the need to keep an eye on for my economical driving style.

·
Registered
1.6 CRDI 66kW
107 Posts
what's the difference between LT and EX? It's the same car :)

I drive economically but I want to know the oil temp for 2 reasons:

1. oil takes longer to reach operating temperature than water, when exactly - you need sensor
2. oil needs to cool down when too hot, when exactly - you need sensor

1 - 13 of 13 Posts