Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sportage 4WD, 1995 Chevy Silverado 4WD, 2005 GMC Yukon Denali AWD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this site and would love some help, I have a 1998 Kia Sportage; my problem is when I try to give it gas it starts cutting out. The code I was getting is P0171; system too lean, I have replaced the Fuel Pump and Filter, Spark Plugs, Mass Air Flow sensor, and tried disconnecting the O2 sensor and it still has no power. I have taken it to a mechanic and they don’t really know what is wrong. They are trying to tell me it has something to do with my Timing Belt which does not make since to me because it idles normally. Can anyone please tell me where System Bank 1 is and if they know how to fix this? Thank youd would love some help with my

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
"IF" you had a V6 or V8 engine there would be two system banks..Because it is a 4cyl engine there is ONLY one system bank (default = bank1).
Help us help you..
Please fill out the CP section of your profile with your general location, your car (1998 Sportage), Auto or manual tranny, 2WD or 4WD,
Also give us the current mileage on the car/engine...
Mileage over 140k my indicate a bad (worn out) catalytic converter and/or a bad O2 sensor.. A "blocked" Cat will cause high back pressure and and will cause the engine to falter (cut out)...
I do not know your mechanical abilities so technical jargon may go over your head... I would suggest that either you or your mechanic read through the posts in this location of kia-fourms (1994-2002 Sportage).. This is the BEST documented area of these forums and answers are usually there "if" you take the time to search and read them.
Timing problems can come from a timing belt that has missing teeth, a damaged shear pin on the crank pulley, and other parts...
Come back with the requested info be prepaired for many suggestions on where to look for answers on your engine...
Dave

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,692 Posts
Good advice from Dave,

You need to verify the validity of the engine before throwing parts at it.

Perform a compression test with a warm engine, all sparks removed, fully charged battery, WOT, fuel and ignition cut...
Repeat wet(tsp oil in each cylinder).

Post the result... Philip

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sportage 4WD, 1995 Chevy Silverado 4WD, 2005 GMC Yukon Denali AWD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have update my profile My car is a 4 cyl 4 WD with 128,000 miles on it, Automatic Transmission, if that helps you with my problem. I do understand somethings when it comes to engines but still do not know as much as i would like.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts