Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima EX Turbo
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I just started reading through the forums and figured I'd post a bit. I bought a 2011 Kia Optima EX Turbo (fully loaded) back in February. I absolutely LOVE the car. It was replacing my 1995 Honda Accord...so I think I was about due for a new car. Haha. I figured I'd post some thoughts about the car.

First off, obviously there was a difference in the MPG between my old car in this. I went from a 146hp 4-cylinder Accord to the turbo engine. The good thing is that the MPG that I see in mostly city driving is not that far off from my old engine. I made a 400 mile trip to my alma mater in May and average 38mpg. So no complaints.

In March, however, I took the car in because the fuel gauge was definitely reporting less fuel than what was actually in the car. The car would drop from full to 3/4 tanks within 30 miles after filling up. When I would let it drop to a half tank, it'd stay at the half mark for quite a while (about 125 miles) before it would start moving. When I filled it while it reported 1/4 tank left, it'd only take like 9 gallons. So there was definitely something going on. Kia replaced the fuel sensor and I've noticed a bit of a change, but still notice that it's off. So that continues to be a headache, but I can deal with that.

Last weekend a cousin of mine got married. I was driving around the city with some family and a guy driving in front of me decides to swerve from the passing lane over to the cruising lane and make a complete U-turn. I was maybe 2 car lengths behind him. Seriously, if I were in my Accord, I would have t-boned him, but I slammed on the brakes and the car stopped from 45mph to 0, in what seemed like, an instant. The cousin that was sitting in the passenger seat screamed out "This car is f*ing awesome!"

Thanks for reading my rambles and I look forward to finding out some more cool things to do with my car. I'll upload a picture or two of my baby at some point.

·
Registered
Accord, stick
206 Posts
You are American MarqBland? Do you carry? Did you shoot the a$$hole? Sometimes I wish I drive $500 old 3tons truck. And I would not break...

·
Premium Member
Spicy Red Optima SX, Mazda6 Wagon
168 Posts
I can always nurse 2-3 gallons more into my Optima after the gas pump shuts off. (Yes, I'm one of the hooligans that "tops up".) That could explain your first comment.

Enjoy your EX Turbo. Did you know that they're no longer offering that model in 2013?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima EX Turbo
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are American MarqBland? Do you carry? Did you shoot the a$$hole? Sometimes I wish I drive $500 old 3tons truck. And I would not break...
Ha-ha. Sometimes I wish I did. But no, I don't carry. Although everyday I think more and more about it. Ha! Yeah, every part of me would have love to smack right into the side of his stupid Jeep.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima EX Turbo
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can always nurse 2-3 gallons more into my Optima after the gas pump shuts off. (Yes, I'm one of the hooligans that "tops up".) That could explain your first comment.

Enjoy your EX Turbo. Did you know that they're no longer offering that model in 2013?
2 or 3 gallons?! Holy crap that's a lot! I'll have to try that out. I didn't know they were getting rid of the EX Turbo. I love mine. I would love the SX, but the ride was a bit too harsh for me...especially with the pothole ridden streets of Wisconsin. Haha.

·
Premium Member
Spicy Red Optima SX, Mazda6 Wagon
168 Posts
2 or 3 gallons?! Holy crap that's a lot! I'll have to try that out. I didn't know they were getting rid of the EX Turbo. I love mine. I would love the SX, but the ride was a bit too harsh for me...especially with the pothole ridden streets of Wisconsin. Haha.
Yup. Last night's example: filled up with one square left - yellow warning light had been on for about 10 miles, Miles Remaining said ~40. Initial pump shutoff at 15.5 gallons, but I eventually put in 18.4 gallons (I am a patient person). I've put in more than 20 gallons on other occasions at a variety of stations. The "18.5 gallon capacity" is clearly conservative, and the gas filler pipe design could use a better breather, Defective - no. Irritating - a tiny bit, but I've gotten used to it. My previous Audi A3 wasn't much different (but the total capacity was less).

In addition to the better ride with your EX Turbo, you are certainly getting better real world gas mileage with the same engine as the SX as a result of the smaller diameter wheels (but same overall tire diameter). I seriously considered 'downsizing' my summer wheel/tire setup to 235/50-17 for those reasons.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts