Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checking on relatives in central Kansas saw a 2001 Sportage 2D4WD sitting looking cute but lonely in a dealer's yard in the snow and ice at $5500 and 56k miles. It had been brought up from TX. I've been towing a '97Geo Metro behind the 32 ft Chevvy motorhome but wife wanted power steering and accepted the 5 speed box to get it. Atlhough the RV was kitted out to tow (the Metro was back home in Santa Cruz CA) no way could we get the tow brackets for the Sportage in time for our return journey. Uhaul to the rescue and a tow dolly - hardly noticed the extra 3300+800 lbs all the way back home. I'm really happy with the little beastie - CA smog test showed zero pollution!! However today I got stuck in a mud puddle and the front wheels didn't engage!! I had to get a jeep to pull me out :( !! By the very clean look of the car it was a second car in family with young kids - maybe never used the 4WD. Tomorrow or Tuesday I'll get under and check the hub vacuum stuff -anyone out there have any guidance ? - can anyone lend me the manual so I can make a copy ?
Bill Dyas - a kiwi in the USA - thus 'kiwisam' :)

·
Registered
349 Posts
The front vacuum hubs are leaking. When that happens the front wheels don't engage and therefore no power is applied to the front.

All Sportages after 1998 have this problem. Kia never came out with a permanent fix although a "double seal" design was released but it fails too. The solution is to purchase and install Warn manual hubs, part number 60247.

If you search this forum you will find some additional information.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Me too! The only problem with the new hubs is that you can switch to/from 4 wheel drive in motion, you have to stop.

Pila

·
Registered
23 Posts
Is your Sportage Manual Transmission? I read that only the manual transmisisons are towable.

I just towed my Sportage behind the motorhome for the first time. Worked great. I have a Blue Ox Aventa II towbar and the Blue Ox towplate on the Sportage.

I bought my Sportage with 48k miles, so it is still under warranty. They already fixed the front hubs once. I also bought the Warn manual locking hubs.

Do you mind sharing how much you paid for your sportage?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jzk
Yes, it's a 4wd manual - the auto trans would be damaged by towing on all four. I paid $5500 for the Kia. I'll tow using a roadmaster falcon bar and an SMI 'stay -in - - play Vacuum pump type braking system that I had on the geo metro I have been pulling

Bill

Originally posted by jzk@Feb 21 2005, 07:41 AM
Is your Sportage Manual Transmission? I read that only the manual transmisisons are towable.

I just towed my Sportage behind the motorhome for the first time. Worked great. I have a Blue Ox Aventa II towbar and the Blue Ox towplate on the Sportage.

I bought my Sportage with 48k miles, so it is still under warranty. They already fixed the front hubs once. I also bought the Warn manual locking hubs.

Do you mind sharing how much you paid for your sportage?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts