Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I just bought my daughter a 2003 Sorento EX 4WD with 116K miles on it. She is in Colorado, and I'm in California so I am crossing my fingers that it was a good choice. It was a one owner car, and spent most of it's time in Washington state. I have a Carfax report so I know what was done by mechanics who report. The good news is that brakes are brand new, front wheel bearings were replaced, and the timing belt, tensioner, crank position sensor, serpentine belt, and water pump were all replaced at 100K miles.

What should I be on the lookout for, and is there any service I should have done ASAP?

My introduction: I'm a car guy, but old American. My wife's car is a 1998 Blazer, but my daily driver is a 1967 Chevelle and my fun car is a 1966 Corvette. I've done engine swaps, suspension work, and all the general maintenance on all my cars since before I was old enough to drive.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Check to see if/when the rear heater hoses have been replaced. The y-Pipe in the back is notorious for becoming brittle and barfing all the coolant out(ask how I know) when you are doing the plugs and have the top off of the engine that is the time to replace them. Yes, I know. Hoses should last longer. Remember that when you are broke down 300 miles from home and you are in the dealer paying $300-$400 dollars to get them replaced. Assuming the engine did not overheat and cook the engine. Take off the windshield wiper cowl when you do it. It gives you way more room to work. Also replacing the plug wires are easier to see and replace. The valve cover gaskets will eventually fail and drip oil onto the cat and cause a smell.

heater hose.jpg That is a picture of the Y-pipe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Carfax shows the same mechanic (Evergreen Tire in Pullman, WA) from 2004 to 2015 so it seems the previous owner had a regular shop. I'm planning to get a new oil and filter (Synthetic) as I have no idea when that was done last. They did the water pump in 2015 at 100K miles, I can assume that was the last time antifreeze was changed.

Would it make sense to drain and replace the antifreeze, or do modern cars not need it every 2 years like I'm used to?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
nstoolman1
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing