Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage LX
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the dealership today getting an oil change and was told that I have about 6 months left on all 4 of my tires. I only have 34k on the car, is this really happening?

I have a 2011 LX with 17" Kumho tires. I have had my tires rotated twice, once before each winter. And I live in Chicago and generally do only hwy rush our driving so lots of stop and go at low speeds. My brake pads are all still fine but my tires are going? This doesn't make sense to me!

Anyone else have this come up yet?

·
Registered
Kia 2015 Sportage Platinum diesel and 2013 Rio 3 door SLS
595 Posts
Just had 37,500 (interim) km service and both back tyres are down to the wear indicators - might get a couple thou more out of them. These were rotated from the front 5000 km ago when I needed to replace 1 tyre due to toe in wear. Bought a new tyre and used the spare, putting the other worn tyre in as the replacement spare. Have an alignment check every 6 months.
So . . . in reality, I got less than 40,000 kilometres (that's less than 25,000 miles!) from a set of tyres (Hankook Optimo 225/55-18). But both my previous cars managed similar.
They just don't make 'em like they used to.

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
1,886 Posts
No problem, you're just due.............

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I was at the dealership today getting an oil change and was told that I have about 6 months left on all 4 of my tires. I only have 34k on the car, is this really happening?
If that's 34k miles (55k kms) on a set of 4 tyres, that's pretty good. Provided there's no uneven wear due to misalignment, the wear you see is what you're going to get. I get about 50k to 60k out of a set of tyres, a bit more if there's 5 tyres in the mix.

I once wore out a pair of tyres in a weekend of spirited driving. Dunlop SP41 on a mini Cooper S; -the grip was good while it lasted!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sounds like you'll get about 40,000 miles out of the tires...which is about right for stock ones. Chicago probably has some poorly maintained roads if it is like any northern city that has freeze/thaw/freeze cycles. Lots of patched areas, potholes, uneven surfaces will help wear out tires a bit more.
I'd even say you were a good driver to get that many miles out of them. I've heard of people getting less than 30,000 before they wouldn't pass inspection.
Maybe a different brand you pick will give you a bit longer tread-wear, but it might be at the expense of summer noise and winter grip.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
For my cars purchased new: I got about 23k out of the stock tires on my Rondo (Kumho Solus), 30k on my Optima (Michelin Pilot), and 50k on my Amanti (Michelin Energy). I have gotten about 40k consistently on replacement sets (Cooper CS4 Touring) for my Sedonas, both vans I purchased used. Currently the Sedonas and Rondo are running Cooper CS4 Touring, the Optima and Amanti have Cooper Zeons.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
You're doing good! I only got 17k miles out of the O.E. (crappy) Kumho Solus KL21 tires on my 2010 Tucson GLS :eek:

I think the "L" stands for lousy!

I'm currently running Cooper CS-4 touring tires now.

·
Registered
2012 KIA Sportage LX AWD
35 Posts
Yep had mine replaced at only 17k miles. Was rather disappointed in the stock tires(Kumho KL21). They have terrible ratings on tirerack. I replaced them with Michelin Defender tires.

·
Registered
04 M-B CLK500 Convertible and 14 Kia Sportage EX, leather and pano roof
127 Posts
We just passed 38,000 miles and most definitely have at least 3/16ths to the wear strips and would expect to replace these somewhere just after 40k. No issues; thought these Hankooks performed well, for a stock tire. BTW-we LOVE our Sportage!

·
Registered
965 Posts

I have a 2011 LX with 17" Kumho tires. I have had my tires rotated twice, once before each winter. And I live in Chicago and generally do only hwy rush our driving so lots of stop and go at low speeds. My brake pads are all still fine but my tires are going? This doesn't make sense to me!

Anyone else have this come up yet?
It's all about the driver, the locale, tire pressures, alignment, etc. There really is no normal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts