Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra LX, BMW e34 & e46
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I just registered and had a question come up after I changed my timing belt, which I completed earlier today.
Firstly, thanks for the advice previous to today, as I've lurked on here a few times when I was researching fixes. On to the question at hand...

After six hours of messing around, my girlfriends car (2005 Kia Spectra LX 2.0L DOHC w/ 105K) has the new timing belt, new WP/AC belt, new PS belt, and new AC belt. I opted not to change the water pump while I was in there since the shaft had no play and there were no symptoms of it failing (weeping or bearing noise).
I own two other cars which both have timing chains, so this is the first timing belt I've ever done. I was somewhat concerned of the consequences if I messed it up, however I was relieved when I turned it over after the install and it started right up and ran.
I did my research before and after the install, however I want to verify something. I did not line up the crank and cam shafts, but rather just slipped the old belt off and put the new one on and made sure that the teeth were in the same postion. I did not move the crank or cam shafts independently while the old belt was off- they were only moved together while the new belt was on to verify that the engine would turn freely.
Question is, if I installed this incorrectly, would the valves crash into the pistons right away (assuming this is an interference engine, which I have read it is), or would it take time for them to do that? If the timing is off, would it be apparent right away? I started it up and ran the engine for about 30 seconds and there were no noises (actaully there was less noise because the AC belt had developed a slight squeak).
I've been reading all over on other timing belt issues, but have not seen anything about this.
Thanks for your input, and I hope I didn't make a $4000 mistake :(

TL;DR - Replaced old timing belt without lining up crank and cam shafts TDC, will damage result?

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra LX, BMW e34 & e46
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I drove it about 5 miles last night with no issues- no noises or other indicators that something is wrong. We should be good to go!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts