Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this past thursday I took my 02 rio to a local hop for a timingbelt and water pump. I supplied the shop with all new parts, timing belt, idler and tensioner pulley and spring and a new water pump. They charged me 140 labor which i felt was a fair deal.

When i left the shop i noticed kind of a whine that increased with engine rpm, I wrote it off as it being a new belt. well about thirty minutes ago I went to drive up to the grocery store, I cranked the car up and its making a hoorendus knocking/tapping noise. I shut the car off immedietaly and ill have it towed to them monday morning.

My suspicion is this, I'm pretty sure the mechanic tensioned the belt wrong. It seems every mechanic under the sun does not follow belt installation procedures correctly, hell the factory instructions were even in the timing component kit box.

My question is this how do I approach the mechanic without blowing my top. I am beyond angry right now. I could also kick myself for being lazy and not doing the belt myself now. (I am an ase certified tech) I shopped this job out simply because i dont have a lift and didnt want to work in the dirt at home.

Oh and yeah i've only put 120 miles on it since the mechanic changed the belt.

·
Registered
Accord, stick
206 Posts
Request service manager to be present - person who is in charge of the whole service, not service adviser and THEN talk to the mechanic.

Do not yell!!!! Most people react negatively if you 'attack' them.

Nicely explain the situation and inform them that if incorrect procedure damaged your car they will are to be held responsible for all further work.
If you have time and money, AFTER they fix this issue, ask for second opinion from the independent mechanic who specialized in Kia cars. Ask him to confirm that no permanent damage has occurred. If he suspects that some parts will fail shortly due to above issue, ask him to put that in writing, go back to dealership, request them to fix/replace those parts.
If they refuse ask for legal advice and advise them you will sue them.

Be nice and polite like YOU are in control of the situation.

If you start screaming they might say 'screw you and sue us' and than what? A lot of money spend on lawyers, a lot of time wasted with questionable results and you will be without car.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
2001 Rio
70 Posts
So this past thursday I took my 02 rio to a local hop for a timingbelt and water pump. I supplied the shop with all new parts, timing belt, idler and tensioner pulley and spring and a new water pump. They charged me 140 labor which i felt was a fair deal.

When i left the shop i noticed kind of a whine that increased with engine rpm, I wrote it off as it being a new belt. well about thirty minutes ago I went to drive up to the grocery store, I cranked the car up and its making a hoorendus knocking/tapping noise. I shut the car off immedietaly and ill have it towed to them monday morning.

My suspicion is this, I'm pretty sure the mechanic tensioned the belt wrong. It seems every mechanic under the sun does not follow belt installation procedures correctly, hell the factory instructions were even in the timing component kit box.

My question is this how do I approach the mechanic without blowing my top. I am beyond angry right now. I could also kick myself for being lazy and not doing the belt myself now. (I am an ase certified tech) I shopped this job out simply because i dont have a lift and didnt want to work in the dirt at home.

Oh and yeah i've only put 120 miles on it since the mechanic changed the belt.
Just having done this myself, the timing belt is pretty tricky on this car, and it would not surprise me that an inexperienced mechanic could have screwed it up. One possibility is that he overtightened the tensioning roller, which would have prevented it from rotating. That would create a lot of friction against the belt, making noise and heat. The other possibility is that the crankshaft bolt came loose.

The part about "hoorendus knocking/tapping noise" is what concerns me the most. If the belt broke, then your valves and pistons could have been ruined. Was the car running while making that noise? If yes, it is possible the belt did not snap, because the engine would not run without a belt.

One argument you might encounter at the shop is about the parts you supplied. Every time I did that, the shop reminded me that they can't warranty the parts if they are not directly from Kia. It would be difficult to distinguish between bad workmanship and bad parts.

Please let us know what you find out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts