Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right, this is not about Rondo, although within the Hyundai/KIA family.
Even part number is same.

I asked this question at Hyundai forum, but got no answer... nothing at all. I guess Hyundai HD forum is dead...

Here is the scenario.

I got 2009 Elantra GLS, sedan. When winter came (snow and such) I realized that Kumho KH16 with 30k miles on them are useless in snow. That is the polite way of saying that.
Hence, General Altimax Artcic came onto OEM steel rims (Kumho got removed). TPMS just fine, no warning whatsoever.

Next, Discounttire had a deal - 100 OFF for a set of wheels.
Short visit, picked 5 spoke rims with 5 holes (not those nasty 10 holes rims :mellow:) and started thinking of TPMS.

eBay - got a set of 4 TPMS OEM sensors (part number 52933-2G200). Supposedly new, but turned out to be used. Anyway, 35 shipped - you can't go wrong.

Finally, the question.
If I put those TPMS on alloys and start driving, will the receiver learn/detect new sensors?

Dealer says - must activate to read some serial number and wheel placement...
WTH? Wheel rotation does nothing to them. TPMS is fine if you rotate wheels. I verified a few times with Rondo that happens to have EXACTLY same TPM sensor.

So, even if they had to activate them, would I need to be back to the dealer twice a year to activate each set of wheels??

Mark, thanks for your input. I hope to get more info from other sources as well.

Damn, winter tires is a huge change. Kumho comparing to Continental DWS was like slick to good tire. Now, DWS and Arctic... wow, that is difference. Not to mention grip on wet/dry in cold.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium 5-door, *old* 2009 Kia Rondo LX 4cyl 2.4L
492 Posts
On most cars that actually give a readout of the pressure in each tire, they do need to be reset when they are rotated. On the Hyundai/Kia system, it's only a generic "Low" if at least 1 of the 4 is below a certain pressure.

As for the new set of TPMS sensors, yes, they need to be activated/synced to the ECM. Can you imagine if the receiver "learned" new sensors on it's own? You'd be sitting at a traffic light with other cars and everyone with a Kia or Hyundai would be syncing with each others wheels on all the cars! Placement doesn't matter, but they do need to be set.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
The TPMS module is looking for a specific 8 digit # transmitted from each sensor, this is what needs programmed when the new sensor is installed. It can only be done by the dealer.

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As for the new set of TPMS sensors, yes, they need to be activated/synced to the ECM. Can you imagine if the receiver "learned" new sensors on it's own? You'd be sitting at a traffic light with other cars and everyone with a Kia or Hyundai would be syncing with each others wheels on all the cars! Placement doesn't matter, but they do need to be set.

No, it would not sync, because except letting the receiver know that a new sensor is on the car the wheel must be rotating at linear speed of higher than 20 mph in order to send a valid signal. At least this is what it says.

The TPMS module is looking for a specific 8 digit # transmitted from each sensor, this is what needs programmed when the new sensor is installed. It can only be done by the dealer.
If so, guys, how do you explain that?
http://www.kia-forums.com/2003-2010-sorento-forum/64377-2008-sorento-tpms-light-2.html#post321081

http://www.kia-forums.com/2003-2010-sorento-forum/64377-2008-sorento-tpms-light.html#post320950

Self-learning?

I found more cases of such behavior what made me thinking that with so simple setup (one/any reads low - not wheel specific) it could work without any "registration" of the sensors.

Does anyone have hands-on experience? I mean, not following the book, but really trying to trick the system, test it...

Anyway, once I get everything I will give it a try.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
Did some research. I only have Kia info available.

Only the High Line system in the Sedona(06-08), Sorento(07-08), and Amanti(07-08) is capable of auto-learn, because it can manually turn on and read individual sensors.

I can find no mention of any auto-learn for the low line system. The sensor ID needs learned manually to a specific position on the car. The receiver cannot tell which wheel the signal is actually coming from. Whichever sensor is programmed as, lets say for example sensor 1, will read as sensor 1 wherever it is at on the car, even if it isn't in position 1.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts