Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Sedona EX
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced front pads and rotors. I expected the new rotors (Beck-Arnley, purportedly very good quality) to just freely slide fully onto the hub. But they were hard to get fully onto the hub. Actually, once they were fully on, I could not pull them off by hand. I am afraid that the next time I try to remove them that not even a sledge will break them loose. I've been doing brakes for years and never encountered this. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,925 Posts
I would think I'd be nervous also... Had you sanded the hubs before putting the new rotors on? Rust sometimes gets in the way of close tolerances I have been very satisfied with Beck-Arnley producs. They seem to be right on with their specs.. Why don't you send an email to them asking why?
They may want you to remove them before they seize up and may provide a set that fit a little looser.. Your heads-up may help them to change their build specs. If no help I'd remove them and grind the center hole to fit looser knowing that "I'm" gonna be the next one to remove them...
I just replaced the front pads (low end at O'reilys) on my daughters 04 Hyundai Sonata (2.7L) there was a change in design during that year and of course I got the wrong ones.. Took them back and compared the old and the new ones...Got home...went to put them on and THEY stuck in the calipers.. The steel used to make the pad backing was stamped out of 1/4" steel and the punch left burrs... A little grinding and they fit fine.
Looks like quality and warranties are a thing of the past..
Dave

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,925 Posts
Another thought...
Were there any changes to the brakes on your Sedona also? You might want to check the Mfr build date on your VIN tag and look on their site...You might have the wrong rotors also.
Dave

·
Registered
2009 Kia Sedona LX, 2008 Hyundai Sonata
39 Posts
Another thought...
Were there any changes to the brakes on your Sedona also? You might want to check the Mfr build date on your VIN tag and look on their site...You might have the wrong rotors also.
Dave
Good Call. I second that. When I had the brakes replaced on our 2008 Sonata, it was not as easy as it looked. The repair shop had to try 3 different types of rotors, and the supplier finally asked what date was the vehicle manufactured.

·
Registered
2011 Sedona EX
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I did not sand the hub. It's a 2011, so it was pretty clean (although I did put a thin coat of anti-seize where the rotor slides over the hub). DaveSpectra -- when you said look on their site after checking the build date, whose site were you referring to? Both Beck-Arnley's and RockAuto's web catalog listed only one rotor. There was no additional build date to narrow the selection. I may end up just pulling them off and grinding out the center hole a bit, but I really shouldn't have to do that. Maybe I should have just had the factory rotors cut.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts