Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been looking for awhile for cross bars for my wife's Sportage but didn't want to pay $400 for Thule or Yakima. In the past I tried a cheap ebay pair and they didn't work at all. Then I ran across the Rhino Rack cross bars for $300. I kept my eye on them to see if the price would come down and last week they were $213 shipped from 10 2010 Kia Sportage Rhino Rack Roof Rack SRB001 for - Auto Parts Network. The part number is SRB001 and they have them in silver and black. Put them on yesterday and they fit like a glove and are very sturdy. Only problem is I ordered silver and they sent me black. I will probably send them back to get silver. Here are some pics. They lock into the holes on the factory rails so they aren't going anywhere once you tighten them down. Going to put my Yakima Skybox on it this weekend when I go to the coast. And, I gave the sunroof a try and there are no issues opening it with the bars in place.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage LX AWD
117 Posts
first off, do they fit the 2012 sportages? are they easy to install and take off. i only want them on when i used them. how long to put them on / take them off? thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
first off, do they fit the 2012 sportages? are they easy to install and take off. i only want them on when i used them. how long to put them on / take them off? thanks!
Mine is a 2012. They are easy to put on and take off. The first time I put them on I was trying to figure everything out and it took me 10 minutes. I could easily have them on in under 5 minutes now.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
979 Posts
Interesting. Good price too. Racks are one of those things that you don't want to pay too much for, especially when you won't use them that often, but when you need them you need them right away. In terms of load, how much will they carry?

·
Registered
2012 Sportage LX AWD
117 Posts
Interesting. Good price too. Racks are one of those things that you don't want to pay too much for, especially when you won't use them that often, but when you need them you need them right away. In terms of load, how much will they carry?
i looked on the site but didn't see any specs on load carrying weight. does it say on the box or manual?

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage SX, 2016 Ford Focus RS
466 Posts
I like the look and price of that rack. If it only takes 5 minutes to install that's way easier than the Thule I have! I think I could put mine on in about 20 minutes if I really worked fast.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage LX AWD
117 Posts
they look really good. please update on how sturdy and well they worked with your set up. i remember you from your previous post about the cheap ebay crossracks, to bad they didn't work out. hopefully these will be the right ones. really interested in these especially for the price and ease of installation/removal. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for posting these pics. Wish I knew what the silver would look like - probably thinking the same thing as you, try to match the OEM silver rails. Yours look good in black though and they are the best looking crossbar design I've seen so far.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Here are the pictures with the Skybox and my bike attached. Made the trip down to Gulf Shores Alabama with nothing on the cross bars (Skybox and bike was in storage at the condo). A little additional wind noise with the cross bars but nothing major. Loaded the box and got it positioned where I wanted it. The antenna is almost touching the box and the rear hatch has about 2" clearance when fully opened. Sirius reception was not affected at all. With the box on the top for the trip home there was some additional wind noise but it was completely tolerable. Gas mileage was down maybe 1 mpg (according to the computer) compared to my last trip with nothing on top. The last leg of my trip was against a stiff west wind and that was the only time on the trip you could really tell the box was up there (this could partially be blamed on the bike as well since it was catching some air). I am very pleased with my setup. I'm completely happy with the Rhino Rack cross bars and would highly recommend them. I will give this setup a really good test in about 3 weeks as we are packing up 2 of the kids and going to Disney World for a week.

·
Registered
2006 Lexus gs300, 2011 optima SX, 2012 Sportage EX Premium
51 Posts
I Love it. it looks amazing. Good looking out

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX, 6spd manual
184 Posts
Wow, that's more than the Thule? :eek:

Unfortunately, the SRB001 rack is not available through the Canadian website. :( The one that is available up here (2500 ARB) has a 165lb load capacity (same as the Thule).
which site are you looking at? the srb only fits existing factory rails, while the arb fits with no factory rails with the multifit legs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts