Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rondo EX Premium, 2010 Toyota Corolla
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I recently picked up a brand new Rondo. Currently 7 km on the ODO.

Is it okay to start driving it on the highway?

I drive 30 km to work and 30 km back from work, totaling 60km per day.

90% each way is hwy, 10 city.

I know long time ago, We all had to baby it to 1,000km before driving it on the hwy.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,539 Posts
congratulations on your purchase, I had 9 km on my odometer when I picked up my Soul.

it tells you what to do during the 1000 km break-in period in your owners manual (page 1/4). You can also download a copy for your computer from Kia Canada.

I owned a '08 Rondo EX 5-seater for four years, great vehicle.

for future questions, it would be helpful for us if you could fill out your Drives profile on the left side (see mine) as this is a worldwide forum and vehicles are not equipped the same from country to country - thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

It's a 2012 Kia Rondo EX Premium 7 seater and the color is sterling metallic.

It's equip with sunroof, leather, heated seats, fog lights and the fancy stuff.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes, the 2.4L engine

I wanted the V6 model, but i would had have to wait 3 weeks to get one from Winnipeg and delivered to here since there are very limited numbers of 2012s left. Reason i didn't get 2013's cuz i don't like the "13" part lol

·
Registered
8,539 Posts
that's okay because there is no 2013 model:D

Did you also know that the 2.4L has a timing chain, but the V6 uses a timing belt, which requires replacement - saves you quite a few bucks on one of the services.

I thought that 2.4L was a great engine and very good on fuel economy, never had a single mechanical problem in all the time I owned it.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I would say that your drive to work and back would provide ideal "Running-In" conditions.
i.e. Some speed variations, not too far or too fast, light load, help available if you have a problem. Heed the recommendation to stay between 2000 and 4000 RPM.

There's no objection to highway running, except that I would be cautious about going on a long trip with a brand-new car.

·
Banned
79 Posts
Hello there, and congrats on the car! I too just got a brand new Rondo, and I've just passed 1000km on mine as well.

Of course it is alright to drive it on the highway, the main thing to try and do is to not get the revs up too much during the first 1000km (ex: don't 'floor it' all the time, take off as fast as possible etc), but as well, don't let the revs sit at any one spot for extended periods of time either (ex: Driving along the highway, with cruise control on, at 105km steady for 30km to work etc). It says right in the owners manual, and you will find most people on here will also tell you, the main thing to try and do during the first 1000km or the 'break in period' is to vary the revs, speeds while driving while at the same time avoiding hard or quick acceleration, as well don't do sudden strong and hard braking (unless necessary of course, like avoiding hitting someone lol) ... the idea is to drive it nice and easy, smooth take offs, smooth stops, and avoid letting the engine rev along at the same speed/rpm for extended periods. The idea is to 'warm the engine up to use' by varying speeds, while 'taking it easy' on it for the first 1000km to let the engine seals, piston rings, moving parts all seat or 'form and match up' to the other parts they're touching and to wear in the engine easy, and if you do, you'll be better off in the long run, that's the manufacturers suggestions on breaking it in so, you should trust that if you care about your warranty, future use and it lasting 5, 10, 15 or more years for you.

The old stories about not going over 40km/hour or not going over 3000rpm is crap, just take it easy, vary your speeds, avoid hard braking for the first 1000km and you'll be fine.

As for oil changes, everyone has a different suggestion and idea of what is the 'right thing to do' but, I changed my oil at 1024km for the first change, next will be at the suggested point of 4 months OR around 6000-8000km (which ever comes first) as well as checking the dip stick every week or two to see how the oil is holding up (is it amber, brown, black, does it smell burned, like gas, is it low etc etc etc) basically, use common sense, do what your wallet allows (synthetic vs conventional oil etc) and get things fixed when they need fixing and you'll enjoy your new car for many years to come.

Most of all ENJOY it! Not many people get to have a brand new car, this is MY first one, and I'm enjoying it! :)

Cheers!

·
Banned
79 Posts
Oh yeah, and especially important in cold weather, as most of us do this, DO NOT let it sit and idle for more than 3 minutes at a time!!! Says right in the manual .... do not let it idle for more than 3 minutes, if you have to, get in the car and rev it a few times or move it a few feet, what ever but, the point is to not let the engine sit at any one rpm for extended periods, only during the first 1000km or 'break in' period.

Cheers!

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Oh yeah, and especially important in cold weather, as most of us do this, DO NOT let it sit and idle for more than 3 minutes at a time!
Cheers!
I presume you're talking about idling first thing in the morning to "warm up the engine". I wouldn't recommend warming up for more than 30 seconds or so; the engine isn't doing much work at idle, and will take a fair while to warm up.

Admittedly, I live in a warm climate, but the 30 seconds it takes to exit the garage and reverse down the drive is sufficient in my book. It's then 2 km to the main road and by then the engine is near operating temperature and good to go.

My "break-in" procedure is to keep between 2000-3000 RPM, using manual mode of the auto to vary the RPM if necessary. For the first 1000km, I gently take it to 4000 RPM fairly often and thereafter to 5000 RPM and 6000 RPM in stages once I reach 1000 and 2000km. I don't change the oil early.

Our Cerato has now done 25,000km and the engine is going well. Has used a total of 1 litre oil over that time, mostly during the first 10,000km.

·
Banned
79 Posts
That is common belief, that 30-60 seconds is sufficient time to 'warm up' the engine whether it is cold or hot, the only time you may need to let it warm up longer is if your windows are frozen (I live in Canada, we get winter lol) because it's not smart to drive if you can't see out the windows lol!! I have found my Rondo warms up very quickly, and very quickly for a V6 engine too, I let it warm up for a minute or so, and by the time I've driven 2 km, I'm getting warm air out of the vents and the engine coolant temp guage is just below half way, normal operating temp so, I've been very pleased with it in that respect.

During summer or warmer than 0 deg Celsius though, you never really need to let it sit idling or 'warming up' for more than 60 seconds, but starting it when cold and driving away right away isn't good either in my opinion, I believe you should let it sit for at least 20 - 30 seconds to let the oil get through the engine, let it get going, and then drive away. I see people around here get in, start it and before it's even been running 5 seconds it's in drive and they're flooring it, driving away, that must be so bad for your engine, the seals, piston rings, internal parts ... You wouldn't get out of bed from a dead sleep and go running down the street right away (unless it was a zombie apocalypse lol), so think about that next time you start the car, let it get warmed up and let the oil get flowing, the fuel system get into it's rhythm and then go when it's ready lol!!

·
Registered
8,539 Posts
.......and turn on those heated seats while you car's heater gets up to speed........so nice!

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I've always considered the initial "warm-up" as necessary for adequate oil circulation, rather than actually trying to get the engine to operating temperature. Mostly it's been 30 seconds while reversing down the slight slope to the road, or a bit longer at idle while closing the gate etc. None of my cars has ever shown signs of premature engine wear.

Years ago, in a freezing climate, a neighbour used to "warm-up" his car for 10 minutes. He quite often stalled the car on take-off, despite the warm-up.

·
Registered
8,539 Posts
Years ago, in a freezing climate, a neighbour used to "warm-up" his car for 10 minutes. He quite often stalled the car on take-off, despite the warm-up.
that's when they should install block heaters in those weather conditions and there would be no need for such a long warm-up.

·
Banned
79 Posts
Absolutely!!! I love having the heated seats, I put them on as soon as I start the car now that it's cold out, and at least I start feeling warm before the vents are blowing warm air, and by the time I feel 'too hot' and have to turn the heated seats off, the vents are usually blowing warm air by then, so it works out perfect! Gotta love the heated seats!!!

·
Registered
8,539 Posts
my Rondo was the first vehicle that had heated seats, which at that time were only available on high end limited vehicles and with leather. After that I said I would never purchase another vehicle again that didn't have heated seats.
Now my Soul has a two-stage heated seat system that warms up in half the time of my Rondo - aaawww!!!!

·
Banned
79 Posts
Yup, that's what I'm saying now too, no more cars in Canada without heated seats! lol

My wife has a new 2013 Soul 4U, and she has the 2 stage heated seats, and I think ours warm up in about the same time, the only thing I like better about hers is the fact that you can cut the heat down a bit, keep the seat on without cooking yourself like the Rondo seats do ... I love that they heat up quick, but you can't keep them on or keep them going on really cold days I find, I have to keep it on till I'm too warm, then turn them off for a bit, then turn em on again when I feel cold again ... would be nice to have the second stage switch to cut it down to warm instead of 'broil' lol!!! That's my only complaint about them, other than that, they're great, and warm up quick! :D

Did I mention I LOVE heated seats? lol ... used it again this morning ... Ahhhhhhh!!!!! :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts