Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, recently purchased a new Kia Rio 1.1 CRDi. Checked the engine oil level today and it is 1cm above the max mark. Is this normal? Perhaps new cars are delivered with oil higher for some reason? I would be pleased to hear if anyone else has noticed this?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,925 Posts
Probably just too much was installed. I wouldn't worry about it...just keep an eye on the levels.
Dave

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Yes, there's probably about 500ml (about 1 pint) too much oil. This isn't going to cause a major problem, but you might want to get it down to the correct level to satisfy yourself. Easiest way is to attach a length of plastic tube to a 20ml medical syringe and suck out the oil through the dipstick guide. Your engine is probably going to use a little oil in the first few thousand miles, so just leaving it is the other option.

Excess oil in the engine potentially leads to frothing and subsequent poor lubrication, and there's probably other places where you don't want too much oil. 500ml isn't going to be a worry, in my opinion. A few litres too much and you would have a real problem; this can happen if the original oil isn't drained before adding the new lot.

BTW, correct dipstick procedure is: hot engine, allow to drain for 2 minutes, wipe dipstick and check level. A cold engine (started briefly) will give you a low reading due to the oil not fully draining, and standing overnight will give you a high reading (but always wipe dipstick before taking reading). Insufficient draining with a cold engine is one reason that dealers often over-fill.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is not good. Just had the same issue myself. I took it back 3 weeks after registration, for the same issue, the dealership agreed and replaced the oil. Less than a week later over full again.

Coolant is ok so, not running rough so gasket is ok. So where is it coming from? Quick sniff of the dipstick, stunk of diesel.

Called dealership, ended up having to use the KiaAssist to recover it back to dealership to investigate. RAC then arranged a hire car. This was done on a friday. Chased it up the following monday as hire car supposed to be only 2 days which europcar said was due back yesterday. After kicking off with dealer and kia they extended the rental on the hire car.

Turned out two weeks later the fuel pump was leaking diesel into the oil, so a new pump on warranty, and the reason they had it over two weeks was they didnt want to jump to conclusions because the pump is £1700 + vat.

Picked up the car last saturday so seeing how it goes, but im well annoyed at the situation. A six week old car thats been in the garage nearly half its life.

If its the same with your car, make sure you have a spare £xxx knocking about as they like to take 2 fuel deposits for the hire car without telling you and then it cost me £60 in petrol for the 2 weeks

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
This is not good. Just had the same issue myself. I took it back 3 weeks after registration, for the same issue, the dealership agreed and replaced the oil. Less than a week later over full again.

Coolant is ok so, not running rough so gasket is ok. So where is it coming from? Quick sniff of the dipstick, stunk of diesel.

Turned out two weeks later the fuel pump was leaking diesel into the oil, so a new pump on warranty, and the reason they had it over two weeks was they didnt want to jump to conclusions because the pump is £1700 + vat.
Good one. That £1700 pump represents a goodly proportion of the total value of the car. Looks like "Transfer Pricing" to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good one. That £1700 pump represents a goodly proportion of the total value of the car. Looks like "Transfer Pricing" to me.
Yep. Aparrantly as its a new engine, and no aftermarket parts are for it yet, they charge what they like. Taking the mick. High pressure fuel pump £1700 + vat, what a f###%%% liberty

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,925 Posts
You said "Turned out two weeks later the fuel pump was leaking diesel into the oil" ....
OK... I can accept that BUT... HOW is the diesel fuel getting into the oil...(the path)?
The fuel pump should not require external lubrication but maybe on a diesel RIO it does.
I'm just curious about the "path"..
Dave

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
You said "Turned out two weeks later the fuel pump was leaking diesel into the oil" ....
OK... I can accept that BUT... HOW is the diesel fuel getting into the oil...(the path)?
The fuel pump should not require external lubrication but maybe on a diesel RIO it does.
I'm just curious about the "path"..
Dave
I don't know the pump, but it would have to be something like a leaky diaphragm together with a bad seal on the drive gear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There is 2 pumps on the 1.1 crdi, normal pump in the fuel tank and another high pressure one at the lower front engine block. It uses engine oil to lubricate it. Im guessing its the internal diaphram as stated above. Im betting any money its a dodgy batch as the new one touch wood seems to have cured it.

There is only 3 places its going to contaminate the oil.

The hp fuel pump, injectors or piston rings. However if it was the latter two, obviously it would be knocking and running rough and no dpf in the world would hide the amount of smoke that would pump out of the tailpipe.

Worrying though that these are coming straight off the factory line.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies. I'm now a little confused. Rang the service dept and they suggested it was nothing to worry about. Little concerned that I've got the same issue as 'comedydave'. Out of interest did your oil level remain static or keep rising? I presume you would expect a leaky pump to continue to raise the oil level continuously over time?

·
Registered
12 RIO 5 SX, 07 VW Passat 2.0L turbo 1952 Siata Diana
168 Posts
I have owned over 100 cars, 20 or some new. Also, having owned a large auto service center, I give this advice. When purchasing any car, new or used, at first opportunity check all fluid levels, and tire pressures. This also includes lug nut torque. As example. My 2012 Rio5 SX was delivered with four different tire pressures, some as much as three pounds different. The coolant overflow bottle was nearly empty. The lug nut torque was random with none being in the ball park. The engine oil was at the proper level. This type of crap is not particularly a Kia problem.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I'm now a little confused. Rang the service dept and they suggested it was nothing to worry about. Little concerned that I've got the same issue as 'comedydave'. Out of interest did your oil level remain static or keep rising? I presume you would expect a leaky pump to continue to raise the oil level continuously over time?
Yes, that's likely if it's not simply an overfill.

Have a sniff of the oil and continue to check the level. I would get it back to the MAX mark as a priority, as then you'll be more easily able to monitor it. Keep the oil that you suck out in case you have to follow up the issue.

Must admit that I was surprised that diesel could be leaking into the engine.

On a previous post I mentioned that checking the oil level on a cold engine immediately after it has been briefly started can give you a low reading (like when the dealer has just replaced the oil). Tested today with the engine at 20°C, the level was down to the MIN mark, and took 15 minutes to drain back to the MAX mark (nearly 1 litre difference).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I didnt keep that much of an eye on it to be honest. As soon as i noticed it over the max mark i took it in and they changed the oil. I checked it and it was ok, then less than a week later i checked it again and it was past the full mark.

Obviously was thinking what the hell is getting in to increase it. Coolant still at same level (just under full) so got the crazy idea of sniffing the dip stick. Stunk of diesel, was straight on the phone to dealer kicking off.

To be honest it wouldnt be best to leave it. If your dip stick smells of diesel, get it in. With the oil already thin fully synthetic, diluting it with diesel wont do the engine any good, and i cant see it doing the DPF any good either.

Cant understand why service said nothing to worry about, as overfilled engine is never good. My dealer told me its a good job i look at these things otherwise it would have carried on leaking in and got to the point of a runaway if left long enough.

Dont get me wrong, mine might be a complete one off, and im not trying to panic you, but its better to be safe than sorry, as this is how my car started off and lets face it, its not exactly a small amount of cash we are talking about.

I only registered on here when i saw this topic and thought i might be of help

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didnt keep that much of an eye on it to be honest. As soon as i noticed it over the max mark i took it in and they changed the oil. I checked it and it was ok, then less than a week later i checked it again and it was past the full mark.

Obviously was thinking what the hell is getting in to increase it. Coolant still at same level (just under full) so got the crazy idea of sniffing the dip stick. Stunk of diesel, was straight on the phone to dealer kicking off.

To be honest it wouldnt be best to leave it. If your dip stick smells of diesel, get it in. With the oil already thin fully synthetic, diluting it with diesel wont do the engine any good, and i cant see it doing the DPF any good either.

Cant understand why service said nothing to worry about, as overfilled engine is never good. My dealer told me its a good job i look at these things otherwise it would have carried on leaking in and got to the point of a runaway if left long enough.

Dont get me wrong, mine might be a complete one off, and im not trying to panic you, but its better to be safe than sorry, as this is how my car started off and lets face it, its not exactly a small amount of cash we are talking about.

I only registered on here when i saw this topic and thought i might be of help
Thanks for this. Covered several hundred miles over the weekend and the oil level has remained static - no smell of diesel either. My plan is to get the oil level back to the correct level and then keep a close eye on it for the time being. Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll let you know if the situation changes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for this. Covered several hundred miles over the weekend and the oil level has remained static - no smell of diesel either. My plan is to get the oil level back to the correct level and then keep a close eye on it for the time being. Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll let you know if the situation changes.
No worries. Seems mine is ok now. Done about 250 miles in last 2 weeks and oil is now going black which indicates all ok.

Just keep an eye on it. Hopfully mine was a one off

1 - 15 of 15 Posts