Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Quite pleased with the diesel consumption, 70mpg on a route my Fiat Punto (petrol) used to manage 50mpg on.

Something strange happened yesterday. After driving a while at about 50 mph then a short time at 30mph, there was a smell of burning and the engine compartment seemed quite hot at the back. I wonder if this was some automatic process for burning carbon off the filter? At the same time the mpg shot down 2 or 3 indicating a lot of fuel was just used - going nowhere much. Anyone experience this.

Other things, I like that it is 5 door on the cheap model. And the storage space (between seats, glove box, in the doors), its great compared with the Fiat.

Disappointed there is no blue tooth, thinking of buying a Garmin Sat Nav just for the blue tooth - good idea?

Driving wise it is nice. plenty of power, pretty quiet, good handling

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
Wish we got that engine in North America.We only get the 1.6 GDI which I have managed 51 MPG Imperial.Mine is a 6 speed Automatic.Where are you? Enjoy your car!

·
Registered
2012 Optoma Hybrid (Light graphite)
169 Posts
Wish we got that engine in North America.We only get the 1.6 GDI which I have managed 51 MPG Imperial.Mine is a 6 speed Automatic.Where are you? Enjoy your car!
Wouldn't that be great!! Wow ..80 mpg is where its at! I would have bought one in a heart beat. I wonder why these aren't promoted in North America?

·
Registered
Race Blue MY12 Skoda Octavia RS TDI Manual
929 Posts
Something strange happened yesterday. After driving a while at about 50 mph then a short time at 30mph, there was a smell of burning and the engine compartment seemed quite hot at the back. I wonder if this was some automatic process for burning carbon off the filter? At the same time the mpg shot down 2 or 3 indicating a lot of fuel was just used - going nowhere much. Anyone experience this.
I have.

My Skoda will run the engine lean and hot to burn off excess soot built up in something called the DPF. (Diesel particulate filter)
Basically, its a huge air filter for the exhaust. Makes the exhaust cleaner and you don't get the typical American F250 diesel smoke/soot.
Its just one of the things required to make it Euro-V compatible.

Look for: Increased revs at idle; different sound to the engine. (Under more load, to increase heat.)

The engine on mine hit about 100^C whilst it was doing the regen.
Its done it twice so far, in 20,000km. The vehicle is roughly 5 months old.

Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi
Thanks for all the posts so quickly to my first posting on this site.

I don't know about the marketing, rroyce46, but I think they can't meet demand. I had to wait nearly 6 months for mine! I'm in Yorkshire, England. We are so lucky we get the Rio 1.1 and more rain than we know what to do with! (Just got back from a long wet dog walk, wife not too impressed by the long wet dog on the settee (aka couch)).

The advertised mixed driving mpg is 87 joesyah, but the 70mpg was measured on my commute to work, which is very hilly (right near the blasted moors of Wuthering Heights). However the dealer tells me I will see slightly improved mpg at about 10,000 miles so, looking forward to that.

Thanks for the Skoda information Mysticality, if the Rio is doing the same thing then it must be doing it more frequently I am only on my first half tank of diesel!

Maybe someone else reading this has the same engine and either has or has not experienced the hot flush. it happened at about 334 miles but of course may not be triggered by distance. The Rio certainly does have a DPF.

I heard some manufacturer's cars do not have a cycle for doing this but tell the driver to take the car for a thrashing on the highway at regular intervals. One person who didn't, with a Fiat got a big bill for replacement DPF and was quite upset by it.

In the owner's book there is nothing to say expect a DPF cleaning cycle now and again, but there is also no thrashing advice. If there is an automatic clean cycle I wish they had told me, I was getting worried that the car was about to catch fire.

Best Wishes to all

Mike A

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
Let's make sure we're comparing apples to apples. The 70mpg mikeavision is talking about is UK mpg. Translated to US mpg thats about 58 mpg. Still damn impressive but I just want to clarify the numbers.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5-Door LX
301 Posts
Wouldn't that be great!! Wow ..80 mpg is where its at! I would have bought one in a heart beat. I wonder why these aren't promoted in North America?
For now I don't think the market in the US is big enough. For once, you don't see a lot of diesel engines here and for me a bit of a concern would be that not at every gas station you actually get diesel fuel although that is improving.
The bigger problem is actually with the 1.1l engine with 74 hp. Even though this car would be just as good in the daily commute people won't find it as appealing. I guess we have to change our way of thinking before we get those specs in cars... or the gas price has to go up to $10.

·
Registered
2012 Optoma Hybrid (Light graphite)
169 Posts
For now I don't think the market in the US is big enough. For once, you don't see a lot of diesel engines here and for me a bit of a concern would be that not at every gas station you actually get diesel fuel although that is improving.
The bigger problem is actually with the 1.1l engine with 74 hp. Even though this car would be just as good in the daily commute people won't find it as appealing. I guess we have to change our way of thinking before we get those specs in cars... or the gas price has to go up to $10.
I was talking to a buddy today about these cars. He mentioned that a friend of his was looking into buying a Volkswagen Jetta TDI and having trouble locating one. He was told by the dealer that Volkswagen underestimated the U.S. market. From his comments they can't keep them on the lots. My buddie's father actually owns a TDI that is probably 20 years old with nearly 400,000 miles on it. He drives it back and forth to his job at the present time because it still gets 47 miles to the gallon.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5-Door LX
301 Posts
You know then even I underestimated the U.S. market. I guess I'm getting manipulated by the commercials where pickups with a 23mpg highway are marketed as fuel saving monsters.
I remember a while back in Europe one of my cars with a 2 stoke engine and 34 hp getting me everywhere I wanted to go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm I forgot about US gallons. But rroyce is in Canada, don't they use imperial gallons there. It must be complicated on the border. Anyway I guess I should have been less lazy and calculated litre/100km I reckon it is 4.1

Mike A

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
Hmm I forgot about US gallons. But rroyce is in Canada, don't they use imperial gallons there. It must be complicated on the border. Anyway I guess I should have been less lazy and calculated litre/100km I reckon it is 4.1

Mike A
4.1 is some great mileage (kilometerage?). In Canada we use l/100km. You can't buy gas in gallons in Canada. The only use for imp gallons in Canada is for the car manufacturers to state mileage in imp mpg to make the numbers look better. They never stipulate that it is imp mpg and not us mpg. Very deceptive if you ask me.

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
Any Canadian Government M.P.G figures are always in imperial with is simply 20% larger than U.S M.P.G. It's for all us old guys(I'm 66) who never could get our old brains;) around the metric System.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
Any Canadian Government M.P.G figures are always in imperial with is simply 20% larger than U.S M.P.G. It's for all us old guys(I'm 66) who never could get our old brains;) around the metric System.
Since we are faced with US media and commercials all using US mpg and we haven't been able to buy gas in imperial gallons for about 30 years, I think it's ridiculous to quote imperial gallon numbers. BTW I'm old enough that I was first taught gallons and miles too. I remember having to re-learn everything in the 70's.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5-Door LX
301 Posts
After I moved from Germany to the U.S. I had to relearn everything and some measurements still drive me insane. I guess I remain a metric guy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mpg and hp

You chaps might find it surprising that in England we too haven't bought petrol in gallons for some years. We still use miles though! Perhaps we will change to l/100km when we change to km. I find it hard to think in l/100km, it is not the present that is the problem it is relearning the past. Personally I have a yardstick in my mind; when I got my first small car (Mini with an 850cc engine) in the 70s it did about 40 mpg. Nothing much beat that for a 2 decades so 40 was good, 35 OK, 30 getting expensive, and 20 downright waste of money. Nice round numbers that stay with you.

With regard to the US market and small engines. I find it quite baffling. I've only been to US for a couple of weeks but my impression is that huge swathes of the country have a 50mph limit and also most American drivers are quite calm and cautious. You would have no problem with the acceleration or top speed of the 1.1 CRDi. Surely you would soon get used to the slightly different noise it makes. OK someone mentioned no Diesel in the gas stations (where to trucks fill up?). But there are similar, super-efficient, petrol engines such as the Dihatsu one.

Mike

·
Registered
929 Posts
A good way to stop the DPF filling up is to keep your engine in the peak torque range. That way, when you floor it, it won't 'smoke up a storm.'

E.G. The VW TDI CR engine loves being around 1,900-2,500rpm, with best economy around 2,250. Loads of power on tap, too.
If you drive a manual, try and keep it in the first half of the 2k rpm range. Under around 1,500, forget about it. Shift down and speed up that way. Wayy less smoke, then. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DPF filling up

Trouble is you get lower fuel economy on the Rio (and I suspect all diesels) at 2 to 2.5k revs. The dash actually guides you to keep in right revs for economy, it depends a bit on accelerator current depression but generally the car is telling you to keep 1750-2000

I wonder if I will have DPF problems down the road, driving like this

·
Registered
929 Posts
I run mine at 2,250 all day down the highway and have been getting 4L/100km highway; 7L/100km town. All up its about 6.2L/100km according to fuelly.

I've found that its worse economy above or below 2,250.
Below 2,000, forget about it.

Also, its lower load % at 2,250 (Measured with Torque Pro and an OBDII sensor)

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,961 Posts
mikeavison...
You would not want to be on interstate 80 in Pennsylvania in a small 1.1L with the semis going 75~80 MPH. They would run over you. My wife hates traveling (riding) on this road...One minute they are going 50 up hill and the next 80 down.

Ohio is pushing for 70 MPH as max once again after the 55 MPH limit set in the 70'sand I'm for it. I had a 74 Duster slant 6 that got poorer mileage at 55 than at 70. Drove me crazy creeping along after driving for years at 70.

On the post about the 2cyl diesel engine in Europe...I would NOT want to drive it on the US roads...We are way too aggressive and impatient. Maybe for intercity use where the speed is regulated at 35 MPH.

Dave

1 - 20 of 20 Posts