Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a letter to for another recall with HECU. They state a multitude will be installed which contains a 30amp fuse instead of the original 40 amp fuse and will take 2-3 hours. So are they just changing out the fuse and that’s it so if there is a short it blows sooner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,101 Posts
More than that, some harness adapter. Read the letter!! I

am scheduled tomorrow for it and my dealer says its 45min if no other parts are needed.
I am not sure how this affect the system as dropping the limit by 10A is quite a bit and most functions are over fused that much higher.

I'll see

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More than that, some harness adapter. Read the letter!! I

am scheduled tomorrow for it and my dealer says its 45min if no other parts are needed.
I am not sure how this affect the system as dropping the limit by 10A is quite a bit and most functions are over fused that much higher.

I'll see
Ok great. Let us know. Don’t you think a 40A fuse is a bit much anyway on that size wire anyway?

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,101 Posts
The rep didn't know much about what it was about or how it will work. It took there guy no more than 30 min and I was set to go.. The disconnected the battery or equiv as all the radio presets were lost and other settings.

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
562 Posts
There were two recalls for possible fires in the ABS unit. The first recall I received 20V519 October 2020 was to check for leaking HECU (ABS/Traction/Stability unit) Rather than go to dealer I inspected it myself.

Last week I received this new recall 21V331 that says they will check for leaks AND check for an over current in the HECU.

What they do is disconnect battery negative, pull the multi fuse block in the engine fuse box, reconnect battery and then use a micro amp meter to verify the current to the ABS is less than 70 micro amps. If no visible fluid leaks AND less than 70 micro amps then they replace the old multi fuse block containing a 40 amp ABS fuse with a new (recall kit) multi fuse block containing a 30 amp ABS fuse and send you on your way. If any leaks OR greater than 70u amps they replace the HECU and also install a new multi fuse block with a 30 amp fuse for the ABS.. So you leave with either a new HECU and new multi fuse block, or just the new multi fuse block.

My guess is replacing HECU will take the full 2-3 hours, just the current leak test and new multi fuse block replace was most likely the 30 minuets in previous post.

Here is the technicians .pdf for 21V331 https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCRIT-21V331-2763.pdf

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Going in on Monday for both my 14 sorento and optima

·
Registered
Sorento 2015 LX 2.4 AWD
577 Posts
Thanks for coming with this "new" recall...I had thought they were simply renewing the call because I had not complied with the first recall so I had simply put the paper away.....so I paid atention now,,,...I might just use the info from bobdek to make the test by myself....as a first move....will see later for the next move...
Special thanks to Bobdek for the pdf....

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
562 Posts
I checked my current draw across the fuse ABS2 circuit and it's 30.2 u amps (39.8 u amps less than the 70 failing point) The ABS2 40 amp fuse feeds the pump motor, the ABS1 40 amp fuse feeds the valve body. Not sure why changing the ABS2 pump fuse to 30 amps will prevent future problems. Do they assume is it's OK today it will be OK 5 years from now. I may have to bite the bullet and take it in, that way if it catches fire in the future they can't blame me for ignoring the recall. You may may be correct in assuming I try to avoid dealerships at all costs.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sooo I brought my first car in for the recall and found out it’s an inspection first. Then the parts are ordered for another visit. You would think they would at least stock the wire harness kits. They didn’t give me a timeframe for the harness. Ughh.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,101 Posts
The new electrical harness with the 30A fuse goes in no matter what. I asked my dealer if they had them as he made the appointment. They did, however if something else is needed it may take longer etc. That would depend. I guess for your dealers you need to ensure they'll have it there in stock assigned for your appointment.

·
Registered
Sorento 2015 LX 2.4 AWD
577 Posts
I read and read back again the notice sent by KIA Canada and there is no mention of a "wire harness kit"....just the HECU (if needed) and the fuse block.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,101 Posts
That was the 1st recall, there is another one afterwards. I don't have my letter anymore.

·
Registered
Sorento 14 LX (2.4L), Sedona 17 LX+
57 Posts
The new electrical harness with the 30A fuse goes in no matter what.
No, a new electrical harness does not go in no matter what.

[For the 2nd (July 2021) recall] a new electrical harness (7+ hours labor) only goes in if a visual inspection of the electrical connector going to the HECU shows evidence of overheating/melting on 2 specific connector pins.

The disassembly inspection of the connector is done AFTER they do the initial parasitic current draw test (which determines if you get a new HECU). After the current draw test you get a new 30A multi-fuse, (and a new HECU if needed, and a new wiring harness if needed), AND everyone gets a new bright orange fuse box upper cover (to visually indicate the recall service has been performed) to replace your old boring black one. The orange fuse box cover will coordinate nicely with the bright orange dipstick handle from the last engine bearing/lube recall, that replaced the yellow dipstick handle from the recall previous that that, that replaced the original black dipstick from the factory.

--labor for the basic recall campaign service (visual brake fluid leakage at HECY, current draw test, connector pin inspection, new 30A multi-fuse & new fuse box cover) = 0.3 hours
--labor for all the above, AND a new HECU = 2.0 to 2.1 hours
--labor for all the above AND a new engine bay wire harness = 7.4 to 8.0 hrs depending on model

I can confirm that just because you have a scheduled appointment specifically for this recall service does not necessarily mean your dealer has a service kit reserved for you. I guess it just depends on if the dealer has their act together, or cares. Call ahead....

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,101 Posts
I am not in agreement. However, assess how you like as here is my work order and it was replaced !!

Attachments

·
Registered
Sorento 14 LX (2.4L), Sedona 17 LX+
57 Posts
I am not in agreement. However, assess how you like as here is my work order and it was replaced !!
Part # 91KIT2PUSAQQK on your work order consists of a multifuse and a upper fuse box cover, and has a MSRP of about $25 and 0.3 hours to install (including the other tasks in the recall inspection). That part # does not include a front wire harness. The wire harness would be a totally separate part number, and the exact part # is dependent on the specific car model invovled, cost greater than $1000, and take 7.4 to 8.0 hours labor to rip out and replace.

So I can't tell from your attached pic (the right side is cut off) what your parts or labor totals were, but if it is > $1000 and 7.4 or 8 hours labor then I'd agree you got a new wiring harness, and conclude they neglected to put the wire harness part number on your work order. But not everyone gets that by default - only if inspection of the connector shows melted plastic around 2 specific pins.

Reference: Kia TSB: SC212 Optima (QF) and Sorento (XMa) June 2021

Lets hope this is the last of the recalls!

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
562 Posts
Ref harness replacement, take a look at .pdf in post #5 'Step #7, page 5 of 8' says take a picture send it to the mother ship and await instructions.

The HECU is a 2-3 hour job and the harness is much longer, and most likely, neither the HECU nor harness are commonly stocked parts. IMO verify they have the fuse block and cover in stock prior to assigning an appointment, in that case w/o any other problems you s/b in/out in 30 mins.

If current test fails, or HECU is leaking, or pins are burnt in harness, it's could require a second trip after parts are received, and anywhere from 2-8 hours depending on whats replaced.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So if after the recall the HECU fails are we on the hook to replace even though they know there are problems with units?

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,101 Posts
With it as a known problem I am sure they'd have to fix it if it failed. This is to mitigate a disaster if something is already wrong. Mine is low mileage. ~ 86,000km which maybe why its still in good shape.

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
562 Posts
So if after the recall the HECU fails are we on the hook to replace even though they know there are problems with units?
My exact words.. Since this is a safety (possible fire hazard) , if it starts leaking brake fluid onto the internal electronics at a future date, will we be covered. Is this fix a 100% deterrent to future fire possibility ? They replace a 40 amp fuse (480 watt @ 12 V) with a 30 amp (360 watt @ 12 V) to the HECU, do they assume a future short will blow the 30 amp fuse prior to starting a fire ? I wish they provided some valid answers to us owners about this. I would make me feel more comfortable parking this car in garage directly under my living quarters.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts