Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Quantum Kit Car / Pica-Sport
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - have just taken ownership of a new Pica, and before I remove the rear door panels to fit the missing speakers does anyone know the size of speaker required? I believe the diagonal measurement from screw fixings is used. maybe 10 or 13cm ?

The first of many mods I hope..

Cheers ozza.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Originally posted by jesus@Oct 3 2005, 08:28 PM
but with some modification can there be fitted 6 1/2"
How much modification?
I've swapped mine for 5 1/4", but would like to get something bigger in there if possible.

Is it just a case of removing the plastic and putting the speaker in its place?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Not too big and thick as u have to remember the window have to come down. My Rear speaker is mid woofer speaker 5 1/4" and the back almost touches the window when wind down. So i guess anything bigger will definately touches the window when wind down. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Picanto
179 Posts
You take the original plastik holder off, an make an new one. and on the door pannel is there some plastik there shall be cut off.

I have JbL 6 1/2" in the front and the fitt in the original holder. Rear I got Alpine 6 1/2 and to them I maked an new holder.

but If you install speakers there play lot of bass, then you need to but some resonans killer or ells the will the door pannel make some noise.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for info guys - I shall take a closer look before purchasing 5 1/4 speakers, in the hope that I can make adaptors for slightly larger speakers. Don`t want to hack it about too much due to warranty!

I note the problem with door panel resonance.. Fitting a large wad of foam directly behind speakers improves this, but it can also absorb water and damp draining through the doors.. NOT good news.

Cheers ozza.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona
403 Posts
If I remember Halfords sell some sound deadening that you can stick onto the back of the door and reflects the sound back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As many people experience problems with resonance in the doors I would like to share a useful tip.

I made a CD with testtones, sinewaves each track being 10 seconds, starting at
20Hz in 5Hz increments up to 100Hz and then in increments of 10HZ up to 200Hz.
Play it at a descent level and you will find that different frequencies will cause
different parts of the door to oscillate. Not surprising, it´s simple physics ;)

This makes it a little easier to hear where your problems are so you
can (hopefully) put the cure at the right places on your first attempt.
I don´t think these clips and plastic threads will last very long if one removes
the doorsides more than a few times. Then you have other problems.

Regarding myself, I have identified where I have noise in my front doors, but the
work will wait until I have all my new audio gear to install..

BTW, I used wavelab and its signal generator function for making the testCD.

/Caliban

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona
403 Posts
Wow what an excellent idea, :clap:

Me, I'm a typical back of a cigarette packet suck it and see type of guy.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Originally posted by jesus@Oct 4 2005, 02:10 PM
I have JbL 6 1/2" in the front and the fitt in the original holder. Rear I got Alpine 6 1/2 and to them I maked an new holder.
How did you make the new holder / what did you make it from?

I was thinking just cut an MDF ring to fit the door then fit the speaker to that, but somehow there needs to be a cover over the top of the back of the speaker to stop it getting wet from rainwater coming down the inside of the door. (I've just discovered that the voice coil of the 5-1/4"s I fitted have got damp :()

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well, I went the MDF ring route and fitted some Pioneer TS-A1711's in the rear doors, they just clear the window and I didn't need to cut anything of the car, sounds a *lot* better than the jbl's I had in there.

Just need to get some soundproofing sorted now because the plastic stuck inside the door flaps around a bit. Think I'll just stick some soundproof matting on it so it stays waterproof.

Anyone know where to get sticky back soundproofing cheap? :/

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats good news iSix - I made adapter rings out of plastic sheet from an old tool box! The stock Kia rings would have brought the speakers forward a little to provide more depth before reaching the window - but there was enough room for mine.

My next mission is to extend the cables from the door post... :thumbsup:

I think Halfords stock vinyl covered thin rubber sheet made for sub woofer boxes-may be suitable to stick to that vibrating plastic sheet?

Cheers.. ozza

·
Registered
2005 Kia Picanto
18 Posts
you could put any size in and your window will open fine. if the screws dont match just drill a new hole. :beer: dont know what all the rest of them are saying but my windows open fine and the screws dont have to match the holes.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Originally posted by BAM@Oct 13 2005, 01:09 PM
you could put any size in and your window will open fine.
Maybe yours are different to over here (but I wouldn't have thought kia would make different doors for different markets), but if you have the window fully down then it comes down behind the speaker about half way, so if your speakers are too deep the window will hit the magnet or basket of the speaker.
If mine were slightly deeper, or if I screwed them directly to the door without the mdf spacer ring then the window would hit them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Finally got some good weather today to soundproof the rear doors, and now it sounds fantastic :D no rattles or vibrations, even on tracks with lots of bass :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts