Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there everyone, I have just purchased a 2005 Kia Carnival, so I am hoping it will be fantastic, I havent heard anything bad about them yet so I am willing to listen to any input on what to look for . We grew out of our old car which I regret but am hoping the carnival with its 7 seats is big enough for a growing family of 2 adults and 4 kids, cross your fingers for me and happy motoring to all in those lovley kias........Julie

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Welcome :) and congratulation on your Kia Carnival.

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Julie,
Hope you have better luck than me. Best advice ensure all services are done and written in service manual.
Anywhere between 30K - 90K klms the motors fail, usually around the 60K service.
The seal between the piston barrel and piston barrel wet sleeve ruptures.
First sign is missing motor and no acceleration at low speeds.
Checking coolant tank will reveal brown gunky oil & coolant mixture.

Only fix is a short motor replacement.
Subframe is removed, seperate gearbox from motor, remove heads and test for straightness & hardness, replace thermostat, refit short motor, refit heads, replace gaskets, replace headbolts, refit motor to gearbox, refit subframe, reconnect all wiring, steering, exhaust, flush radiator, bleed cooling system, replace coolant.

Because all but one of my services were done this only cost me $2750.00 and took 44 days.
My new car warranty ended Aug 03 therefore no replacement vehicle.

The other recent problem was a corroded front evaporator coil for the air-conditioning.
The evaporator coils are sort of like a car radiator except that air blown through the evaporator coil cools the front of the carnival. There's another one for the back.
These evaporator coils are situated under the dashboard behind the glovebox.
They can't be reached without removing the glovebox and most of the ducting on the passenger side,
Air-bourne particles like dust and particularly fluff from sheepskin seat covers clogs the coils causing them to ice-up and the wet clots corrode the coil until one hot summer day it goes "fssst", smells like freon, and the aircon is warm.

Costs around $1100.00 for genuine part plus labour.

Kia know about it but it doesn't happen in warranty so don't care.
The coils could be cleaned with compressed air during service. I advise you to ask for this to be done.

Hope I haven't been too scary. In retrospect, carnivals have a few design & mechanical problems.
What compounds these problems is Kia's attitude to service.

As I explained to the local Kia service manager, "I will never buy another Kia, and if asked will recommend against Kia. "

I meet and chat to dozens of customers every day.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:crying: Oh my god< have I done the right thing getting the carnival now, this is exactly what I wanted from this kind of site. Thankyou for the forwarning and I was going to get sheepskin seatcovers but there goes that idea, I will keep clear, as for the motor I live in dread now but am better off knowing the downfalls of the carnival...thankyou heaps and cross your fingers for me, maybe just maybe ( I live in hope) they have fixed these probs in the o5 models , I can only wish they have ....thanks again......Julie

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Julie!
At ease!
brucemquinn has had some scary experiences with his car. I am sure that these type of problems have been corrected by now. He is driving a 2000 model, and yours is a 2005.
We are driving a 2001 diesel and just love it. 60000miles on the meter and not a single problem so far. Everything is working. Kids love it!

Enjoy your new van and trust the first feeling that made you buy it in the first hand!

T :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
:) Yea the horror stories...apparently there was trouble with some early models but they have been sorted out. Like the guy said, keep servicing them through the dealer according to the schedule and you should be alright. Another thing, check the Compliance Plate to see if yours is built in 2004. My Dealer said mine was a 2005 model only to find out he meant that it was "first registered" in 2005! Unless I'm mistaken, the 2005 model is the replacement for the Carnival...bigger motor and bigger all round. The same size as the Chrysler Voyger I was told. But I love my Carnival and am looking forward to a trip to Adelaide later in the year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts