Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to see a used 2015 EX with the 3.3. Vehicle has 115,000km and all the "toys" (pano roof, leather, awd, backup camera, etc)... having owned GM only, aside from our 09 rondo (peppy and super reliable little bugger)... so i need some advice on what to check out before hand 20K CAD is tough to put out blindly.

So be my salesman, steer me to or away from the vehicle (aka any common issues i should look for and have addressed by the dealership?) Anything i should be aware of?

As mentioned, coming from a gm... 07 equinox to be exact.

·
Registered
363 Posts
an AWD? question about the coupler history....
NOtice that when I was searching for a car, 3 years ago, I "wanted" an Equinox.....but after trying a few ones, felt is was not my car. When I test drove the Sori, it was an instant sell.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Before buy and especially if no warranty is included. Be certain the power steering rack is not going (thread on that here already), also the rear AWD coupler knock/hop on turning left or right turns while accelerating even mildly (as you do at an intersection from a stop) as the internals have worn out. If either of these are acting up be certain the deal includes their replacement as they're expensive subsystems!!!

They're a great vehicle otherwise with a 3.3L GDI. Ensure oil changes were done regularly if you can. I use Synthetic in mine since buying it at < 50k km on it. Max protection need IMO.

Check all options including display are working.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies folks :)

So steering rack and coupler as the big things. Got it.

I did drive it yesterday and it "seemed" fine... only a high pitch road noise sound from the front left under braking... it hasn't been inspected as it was new to the dealership that morning.

Its an hour away from me, but gonna see if i can get it to my mechanic for inspection... as there is only a 30 day 1000km warranty.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I have a 2015 Sorento Ex V6 AWD, at 60k miles right now. I love it, the Best vehicle I ever owned. It does everything Well! The issues mentioned are definitely a concern, although I never had any issues like that, mine appears to be fine presently. Get used to the different steering modes, they regulate how the car handles. I had mine in Sport mode forever, sure it had more power, but otherwise more sluggish around town? So recently I found that Normal mode is more responsive around town, so I use that. In Comfort mode, the steering, and driving seems too soft around town. Welcome, & Good Luck with your choice! (y)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well....

I purchased the vehicle... with a 2yr warranty! Not sure if it has a balance of the factory warranty or not yet- 115,000km (71000 miles).... asked them to fine tooth comb the steering rack and rear awd coupler, they assured me they will. But my mechanic will see it to check it out...

Thanks for the help everyone... we are now a Kia only family!

·
Registered
72 Posts
i almost bought one of these too but ended up buying 2017 one. the most critical thing on these cars are oil changes and awd system maintenance. I highly recommend you take it to your mechanic and get him to check/replace awd system fluids as well as perform coolant flush.

you also want to be sure all recalls are taken care of before you start driving it too much.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Picked the vehicle up yesterday and have the loudest sounds coming from the front left, sounds of really bad tires (they are fine) and when turning from a stop it sounds like im driving over rumble strips. Ideas?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So the wheel bearing was gone in the left front and the rwd is noisy, both being fixed by the dealership i bought the vehicle from, with no issues!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Picked the vehicle up yesterday and have the loudest sounds coming from the front left, sounds of really bad tires (they are fine) and when turning from a stop it sounds like im driving over rumble strips. Ideas?
That is what the failed AWD coupler feels like!!! Clearly they did not test it or bother to road test it if you bought it with those two issues after asking them.
Check for a knock in the steering. Parked, move the wheel left and right repeatedly to the point of resistance or a bit more where the wheels are about to turn !!! If there is any slight knock the rack and pinion assemble it now defective and get worst as it wear further.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts