Kia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soreno LX V6
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend just bought a used 2013 EX V6 with roughly 21k miles on it. I trolled the forum for awhile and told her it would be a good buy judging from yalls input. Well now ive decided to register and get down to business.
Just looking for some advice on any modificatons that yall deem necessary to make these babys keep runnin forever. Anybody going full synthetic? Any worthwhile upgrades for these things? I dont forsee any problems wth regular maintenance but any tips are appreciated! :D

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
I just put some decent non-synthetic stuff in mine with no problems. I have considered switching to synthetic, but the price difference is quite drastic. It's all about what you prefer!

Just keep up with the maintenance schedule in the owners manual and i'm sure it will last you quite some time!

Ps. Title says LX, you called it an EX in the topic. Which is it?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soreno LX V6
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its an lx. brain fart haha
and yeah when you checkout with full synthetic it is a bit of a shock.
what is the consensus on tranny maintenance? a flush schedule, or drain and fill?
tbh I havent looked at the maintenance schedule in the manual yet. im sure it will detail most things, just fishing for anything that may be thought of as necessary on the forums but arent obvious elsewhere.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
I put Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic in mine and change it every 5000 miles. I plan to change my transmission fluid and filter at 30k. Every 30K thereafter, I'll just do a drain and fill.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
what is the consensus on tranny maintenance? a flush schedule, or drain and fill?
There hasn't been much talk of that. The SP-IV fluid is a new type low viscosity fluid that is likely also a long life fluid. I do not think there is a true alternative than the real SP-IV fluid. Valvoline Maxlife and a couple of others are near-universal fluids that are said to be "suitable." I wouldn't do anything at 21k except maybe put an inline filter on the system, maybe a Magnefine or SPX Filtran. The transmission is still under the 60 month/60,000 mile warranty.

There is no point spending the money on synthetic oil unless you have a good reason to do so. You aren't in a frigid winter area, so that's not it. Maybe if you tow heavy in 100°+ summer areas you'll get some benefit, but you could also switch to a top conventional 5W-30 for summer if that's the case. Any good conventional oil will be good for the 7500 mile recommended oil drain interval unless your driving routine is mainly short, cool trips where the oil never gets normally warm--change the oil more often then.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,414 Posts
I'd recommend a good conventional 5-30. Valvoline, Pennzoil, etc. Stick with the Kia filter, it is higher quality and comes with the correct cap o-ring and drain plug gasket.

If you want to do a trans service a drain and fill at 60k miles is all that is required per the severe service schedule. Fluid is about $15/qt, so it would be an expensive flush if you want to go that route. The SPIV fluid is synthetic and holds up extremely well. While it does discolor after a while, I've seen it come out see through in vehicles with 100k miles and no prior maintenance. The transmission filter is not serviceable unless you plan on removing the trans and disassembling it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts