Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I recently purchased a 2011 Kia Sorento EX and have a couple questions. The vehicle only has 25k miles on it, but wouldn't start this morning. The dealer towed it in and told me I needed a new battery, so they are replacing that now for $168.00. Seems kinda steep to me, but whatever.
Anyone else think it's premature to replace at battery on a car with only 25k miles on it and is only 2 years old???

Second question:
Anyone know if I can access the vehicles service history? The dealer said, "no, only if it's been serviced here". I don't think that is correct. They have to have a database that can be searched by VIN for the service history somewhere, no? If there is such a thing, anyone know where I can find it?
I used to be able to get my infiniti's service history online, regardless of who owned it or where it was serviced.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX AWD V6 Limited/Panoramic
422 Posts
The only way you would be able to see the service history would be if Kia had a way for users to keep track of it on their web-site. They don't. Otherwise, they will only see service at the Kia dealer.

I just replaced the battery on my 2011 EX with 50k miles. So it may have been time for a new battery. I think battery is more related to age than miles.

Also, FYI.. a 2011 is probably almost a 3 year old vehicle, not 2. Kia started selling the 2011 in Feb/Mar 2010.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK - just used to my mb and infiniti that went 5-7 years before needing a new battery. I guess you get what you pay for!

There is a kia website called kia global or something like that, which I am on right now, which appears to be able to show service history for vin numbers....however, the site isn't functioning properly - go figure. I'm not impressed so far, with this vehicle or kia in general...again, you get what you pay for....tough times called for a cheaper car and now it's costing me.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento EX 2012
109 Posts
Actually it depends on how long a battery has sat for. If it was taken out and stored on concrete, if it sat in the cold, if it was let to crank out until dead repeatedly. If it was not cared for. This is ALL part of a batteries life and ALL can affect it.

It DOES not depend on the cost of the vehicle!!
So please stop with the implied "you get what you paid for speech" eh.. it is bothersome and a tired old argument when applied from one vehicle to another. The OWNER and the way THEY take care of the vehicle makes the maintenance important and how or when the parts need to be replaced.

Go back to the Infiniti then if that is what you want to pay for. But trust me it is not about cost of the vehicle.. it is how it was taken care of.
Good luck

·
Registered
Kia Sorento EX 2012
109 Posts
Oh and By the way.. you can track any and all maintenance on the internet these days as long as it was done at a certified mechanic.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
OK - just used to my mb and infiniti that went 5-7 years before needing a new battery. I guess you get what you pay for!

There is a kia website called kia global or something like that, which I am on right now, which appears to be able to show service history for vin numbers....however, the site isn't functioning properly - go figure. I'm not impressed so far, with this vehicle or kia in general...again, you get what you pay for....tough times called for a cheaper car and now it's costing me.
zzzz...seems to be a rash of folks that "bought a used kia" and were "unhappy" then make a couple of petulant posts here and are never heard from again. Coincidence?

:)

I haven't had any trouble with mine. Buying a used car is always a crapshoot with the battery. You only need to let the car sit for a couple of weeks to have the battery fully discharge and sulfate. Then it will never take a full charge again.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 AWD
150 Posts
Also, FYI.. a 2011 is probably almost a 3 year old vehicle, not 2. Kia started selling the 2011 in Feb/Mar 2010.
My 2011 is not even 2 yet, manufactured 3/11.

Also batteries usually last from 2-5 years depending on size, conditions, quality.
You can check carfax somtimes they have info sometimes they dont.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento AWD V6 SX Cherry Black
231 Posts
Unfortunately, Safaron is right. If the car stood at the docks/dealership, etc., after a few weeks the battery would be discharged because of all the power needed to keep the internal interfaces on line 24/7. A few times of that and the battery will start to sulfate, thus a shorter life before needing replacement.
If you look at dealers' (all Manufacturers) new car lots you will probably see a few new cars with their hoods up- getting their discharged batteries charged. Also, some of the newer smaller batteries offer a quick hot initial surge of power to turn the engine over on start up, but do not have long cranking times- which requires a normally heavier battery, and companies try to reduce weight where ever possible (also less expensive). :(

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
You sound just like another troll again. Most likely paid by Toyota or Honda to come on here and make up fake problems just to make possible new owners who may be going through these forums scared.

If you think 'you get what you pay for' just because your Sorento has a bad battery, then you're going to have a bad time owning a car. If you don't have the slightest clue as to how a battery or charging system works, please dont jump to conclusions. You sound stupid and make these things look bad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
god forbid anyone have a differing opinion.

OK - kia's are awesome. Everyone feel better now?

I guess ours just sucks and my friend has a 2012 optima sx which has already been in the shop twice for issues in the first 6 months....

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,574 Posts

I guess ours just sucks and my friend has a 2012 optima sx which has already been in the shop twice for issues in the first 6 months....

Most people don't join a forum just to cry about a lousy battey going bad. You bought a USED car, no matter what the make is, you will NEVER know how the prior owner have treated it. Some how, some way you blame Kia for a battery going bad.
Save yourself now and sell it, before you have to buy new wiper blades.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento EX 2012
109 Posts

My friend had a lexus that was in for problems 5 times in the first 6 months!!! I guess you DON'T get what you pay for with them. She paid 50k+ for her car and she needs a new engine!

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 AWD
150 Posts
Relax guys.. hes just crying because he cant jump his own car or change the battery. :D;)

Seriously though MCP if you said your battery only lasted like 10 months then ok, but 2 years is probly the short side of life for a crappy abused battery so thats that. Get a good one that will last longer now so you dont have to worry about it for another 4 years at least.
Also if you fill in your profile info people wont immediately think your a troll.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento AWD V6 SX Cherry Black
231 Posts
All this discussion for a stupid 2/3 year old used car battery??? WoW!!!
Just spend $90 and get one with a 4 year warranty and then drive the car, save the warranty card, and move on with life..

Good thing its not a boat battery- many of those batteries are warranted for only 1 year, would probably think about sinking the boat. :)

·
Registered
Kia Sorento EX 2012
109 Posts
I joined a forum to find out if others had issues with their battery's within the first couple years. My apologies for seeking out help from other kia assholes - i mean owners!
You come on here talking about how you "get what you pay for" when you are complaining about a USED battery problem in a car that could have sat for months some where. Talking about how the Kia Sorento is bad because the battery went bad in 2 years and then turning around and saying your other car you spent more money on was a better deal because the battery was better.

And we are the Assholes??? Oh must I forget the comment about how your friends Optima was junk because it went in twice for problems in 6 months.. gasp.. OMG how bad is that.. all Kia's are terrible now.

How could you not think you might get treated the way you are on here when you are talking crap to everyone?? With every word you spit out with vitriol is returned with equal spite. So please don't go away.. stay and by all means continue to cut Kia down and in turn us. We truly enjoy it!! (sarcasm off)

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
I joined a forum to find out if others had issues with their battery's within the first couple years. My apologies for seeking out help from other kia assholes - i mean owners!
*yawn*

Don't let the door hit you in the kiester on the way out....

You reap what you sow.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,574 Posts
I joined a forum to find out if others had issues with their battery's within the first couple years. My apologies for seeking out help from other kia owners!
It's the WAY you said what you said......does that make sense to you?? Read the PM I sent to you good!

·
Registered
Kia Sorento EX 2012
109 Posts
I am thinking that the OP was a troll considering he has not come back lately. Sad. If his attitude had been better we might have been able to help him, but he was just trying to upset us instead :(
Sad and pathetic

1 - 20 of 21 Posts