Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I write this to vent more than anything.

After less than 1K miles on my new 2013 Optima SXL I started to see a pooling of red liquid under the engine when it sat for a short time. I took it in and the dealer called the next day saying it was a transmission leak and they would need to contact Kia to determine what they wanted to do. I heard from them today and they decided to replace the entire transmission instead of fixing the new one. As it turns out, it is not be replaced with a new transmission, but a re-manufactured transmission. I have voiced my dis-satisfaction to this decision and I am waiting to hear back from them on their decision. ONLY 1,100 miles on it and they want to put in a used transmission.

Any suggestions on how to address this other than stating my issues all over the web if they decide not to install a new transmission?

·
Registered
2K13 Forte SX Lux yada yada yada...
160 Posts
One word:

UNACCEPTABLE!

Pay a lawyer 50bucks for a demand letter ASAP!!

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,724 Posts
I feel your pain. But that is what Kia does, I've seen it before. You can try to call Kia themselfs and see what you can do. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Substantially Impaired Value?

Thanks for the feedback. I hope they will step up to the plate today and I will be able to respond to this post positively.

I did talk with my lawyer last night and will leave that as an option if I don't get the answer I want.

I also researched the MN Lemon Laws. There is one section that says they must repair the vehicle without substantially impairing the value. I feel a used transmission (albeit re-manufactured) on a car with just over 1K miles would certainly impair the value. Would it be substantially? That may be debatable.

·
Super Moderator
4,724 Posts
Just how do you think anyone is going to find out you have a reman trans in your car? Years down the road, no one is really going to care. Don't get me wrong I would also want a NEW trans as well. But all you can really do is call Kia corp and demand a NEW trans. Good luck!

·
Registered
Public Transportation
186 Posts
Unless you plan on keeping the car beyond 10yr/100K miles, I wouldn't think twice about it. It's their problem for that duration of time should something go wrong with it.

What is troubling is automotive techs these days are just part replacer techs. Gone are the days of actually determining what broke. Cheaper/quicker to replace it, then send it off to china/mexico or where ever to have it rebuilt.

Edit: Lets say they ok a new trans. How are you really going to know if it's new or used. Reman parts are refinished to look just like new.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I do plan on keeping this beyond the 100K mark. If they put in a rebuilt tranny with 30K miles already on it, I am at more risk with any miles driven over 100K. How will I know they put in a new or used part? In all likelihood I won't. But I hope the dealership wouldn't risk their reputation telling me it is new and really isn't. I suppose I could ask for the manufacture date and S/N if I wanted to ensure it was new.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Unless you plan on keeping the car beyond 10yr/100K miles, I wouldn't think twice about it. It's their problem for that duration of time should something go wrong with it.
With all due respect, Wrong!! I have had lots of first hand rebuilt tranny experience and for the most part, they're okay at first, slap on 2yrs and then you start a game of roulette with it, sometime good sometime not. It's still a gamble and by then you're already neck deep.

The ISSUE IS, the 1000k he has on his new car!! If he decides to sell, assuming he is honest, he would have to disclose this fact. "Oh by the way, the car has a *cough* rebuilttranny *cough cough*...." And Wham! There goes the listing value AND its a much TOUGHER SELL!

What is troubling is automotive techs these days are just part replacer techs. Gone are the days of actually determining what broke. Cheaper/quicker to replace it, then send it off to china/mexico or where ever to have it rebuilt.
I beg to differ here too. These days, trannys are very technical and complicated. I just can't see KIA / exGM techs play Susie Surgoen on a tranny while the customer waits weeks for a diagnosis, expecially in a world where everyone wants their fries and Berger yesterday!

Don't gamble. Demand action.
After all, did your money come with any 'transmission' difficulty?

·
Registered
Public Transportation
186 Posts
@Server; By all means you're entitled to your opinion. My point being, is that if during the 10 yrs the rebuilt trans failed, it would still be kia's problem in replacing it. Unless he sells it to a private party, no dealer will give 2shits worth about it being original/rebuilt/whatever, so long as it runs properly. Parts fail. Sometimes it's a sensor, other times its a whole trans (eye roll).

It should also be noted, the 10 yr powertrain is limited only to the original owner and not transferable.

Agreed, given how new the car is, a new part should go in, especially if the OP is planning on keeping it for a long time.

My comment about part replacement was not limited to transmissions. Nearly all parts are replaced these days. Which in and of itself is not that big of a deal, but the parts are all sourced cheaply and are bound to fail again sooner than later.

·
Registered
160 Posts
@Server; ......if during the 10 yrs the rebuilt trans failed, it would still be kia's problem in replacing it....
So, with the above logic, you are saying, give the manufacture a break, let them put in a rebuilt, and if it goes, it goes. Let the owner endure the hassle of bringing it in again and again, each time it breaks down during the entire 10yrs. Hmm... not sure I agree with your own opinion.

The customer should not have to endure the punishment of exsessive repairs or even question if his tranny is going to fail in that 1000K family road trip. Peace of mind on a NEW CAR should never be negotiable.

Agreed, given how new the car is, a new part should go in, especially if the OP is planning on keeping it for a long time.
If the car is a lease / finance and he had no intentions of keeping it, then one could argue who gives a Flying Ffff...flywheel! just let the next guy inherit the nightmare. But if morals have any play here, the right thing to do is for his DEALER vouch for him and for KIA to step up show your re-discovered pride and give your customers something to rave about.

-.-..---..

·
Super Moderator
4,724 Posts
The dealership has nothing to do with Kia's policy! Kia pays us to work on your car (warranty) And they (Kia) holds ALL the cards!! It's not just Kia that puts in reman parts most all car company's do this as well!

·
Registered
2015 Sorento
364 Posts
Chances are that transmition is a new one anyway. Once the parts are into the part dist. circle they get changed to reman because thats how they are billed and returned to get fixed again. So with a brand new car, its a good chance there are any used trannys for your car chilling at the depots. I see your point, but really your getting to excited over something thats not a big deal. Even if you demand a new one, they dont have to give you a brand new part, and even if they did no parts are perfect, as evidence of your 1100 mile trans having a faulty part in it as well.

Dealerships dont fix trannys and motors now days because there were to many claims and problems made worse by half ass techs trying to fix parts, and problems with taking things apart and putting them back togeather in a short time trying to keep labor time down, and thus its easier and safer for the company to put in a whole part and send it to more qualified folks who do just that.

I understand your rant, and its a new car, but really what your asking is just for your feelings to be made better, you car likely wont perform any different and wont change your cars worth anymore than regular wear and tear. My advice, is let them fix it and enjoy the car. It is just a car after all. And every car maker has problems, none are perfect and without issues.

·
Registered
11 Optima EX 2.4, 04 F-150, Burgman 650, V-Star Midnight Custom
148 Posts
Manufacturers have done this and put it in their warranties for decades for a good reason. Back when cars were simpler and the dealerships had mechanics rather than parts replacers, they repaired the malfuntioning transmissions, starters, etc. and returned the vehicles to service. With the very complicated new parts, the entire units are replaced by parts that have been returned to factories where highly trained mechanics can go through malfunctioning parts and return them to like new condition. It makes far better repairs than having a dealership mechanic fix the original transmission in a less than perfect surroundings. The replacement transmission may actually be new or it will most likely be from another low mileage vehicle. It makes for a better, faster and more reliable repair.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,414 Posts
There are reman transmissions available, so good luck getting a new one. I haven't replaced one in an Optima yet, though, but its the same transmission that is in the Sorento and Sedona. IMO, after how many I have replaced, they are just as good, if not better, than a new one. After they are disassembled, inspected, and rebuilt, they are also dyno tested.

Would you rather have a reman transmission done at a ficility built just for it by people who rebuild them everyday, or have your transmission rebuilt by the tech at the dealer, only replacing the single bad part, and leaving the rest?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the thoughts/comments from everyone. I realize some are stuck on their opinions (and that is just fine) and feel I should just get over it and not let my feelings get hurt. Believe me, I have never let my feelings get hurt over any material thing and it won't start with a car. Affecting my kids and family would be a different story.

This issue has less to do with performance (it's very possible a reman transmission may perform better than a brand new one) than it has to do with what is "right" (and many may argue a different point on this) from a business and customer relationship perspective. The "smell test" tells me a tranny with ANY used parts installed on a car with 1,102 miles on it does not feel right. This position may be right or it may be wrong, but it is my opinion which makes it valid to me.

I do give kudos to the Kia Dealership Service Manager who understood and respected my argument. He supported it and helped with Kia corporate. I also respected the Kia Rep who also understood my position, but had to follow the typical company protocol. I was cordial with them both which I think helped in the discussion process.

The good news is I got a call this morning telling they were going to put in a brand new transmission. If all goes well, there will be one available and I can get back on the road soon. It was, in my opinion, the right decision by Kia and I am glad they stepped up to the plate. I will keep you posted on the progress, both good and bad.

·
Registered
160 Posts
et tu Brute...?

After less than 1K miles on my new 2013 Optima SXL I started to see a pooling of red liquid under the engine when it sat for a short time. I took it in and the dealer called the next day saying it was a transmission leak and they would need to contact Kia to determine what they wanted to do. I heard from them today and they decided to replace the entire transmission instead of fixing the new one. As it turns out, it is not be replaced with a new transmission, but a re-manufactured transmission. I have voiced my dis-satisfaction to this decision and I am waiting to hear back from them on their decision. ONLY 1,100 miles on it and they want to put in a used transmission.

Any suggestions on how to address this other than stating my issues all over the web if they decide not to install a new transmission?
You pleaded for help, We gave you input, (some first hand, others 'opinion')

We root for the little guy and it seems ambivalence outweighs forthright gratitude...

good luck with your 'new' tranny. ;)

·
Registered
'11 Optima EX 2.4L GDI Automatic
330 Posts
The good news is I got a call this morning telling they were going to put in a brand new transmission. If all goes well, there will be one available and I can get back on the road soon. It was, in my opinion, the right decision by Kia and I am glad they stepped up to the plate. I will keep you posted on the progress, both good and bad.
If they take your transmission it will become part of the re-manufactured transmissions used to replace failing transmissions as repairing a transmission is basically re-manufacturing to begin with. So would you rather they fix or replace you end up in the same boat.

As for a "new" transmission, obviously there are issues with assembly processes how do you know that this "new" is any better than the one that comes with your car? Also how do you intend to verify the transmissions is in fact "new" once it has been swapped?

·
Registered
141 Posts

Your transmission is only a thousand miles old, and like new except for a leaky seal somewhere. You can't honestly expect they're going to throw it away, do you? Yours goes back to the shop where this one came from, and after it's fixed up it gets sent out to the next guy with a leak, or a faulty valve body, or whatever. Kia remains on the hook for the duration of your original warranty.

What more should you expect? That transmission's worth thousands of dollars, except perhaps that it needs a couple of hundred dollars worth of service. What do you think your car would cost if the warranty guaranteed new transmissions and engines?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts