Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm considering purchasing a new Sportage SX. However, the Sportage didn't fare too well in MT's new comparison (Ford Escape vs. Honda CR-V vs. Kia Sportage vs. Mazda CX-5 vs. Volkswagen Tiguan - 2012/2013 Compact Crossover SUV Comparison - Motor Trend), but a reader (jabberjaw99) commented that MT didn't test the SX and noted that MT's complaints about the ride can be addressed by replacing the stock tires. Do you agree? What all-season tires have you found that are an improvement over the OEM tires?
BTW I wrote "new comparison" because the MT webpage indicates the comparo is in the Sept. 2012 edition, but I notice the earliest comments are from June, so I don't know how recent this is. Still would like to hear about the OEM tires and any recommended replacements.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX FWD
354 Posts
F'em.

I don't want everybody and their mom driving my car.

Guess what, it's not a FORD or a HONDA. AND I don't want a FORD or a HONDA. it's different. Especially the TURBO version. also, where is RAV4 and chevy's crossover? What about luxury crossovers? Anything from MOPAR (ie, Chrystler)? Pretty sure there are worse things out there (like the edge).

Also, I have no idea what kind of suspension critics want. I don't feel this suspension is harsh, especially when compared to a truck or old SUV. I don't want a big soft suspension that will ROLL ME OVER for going a little bit fast when maneuvering fast. For me it's more than fine. I want to feel the road. I want to feel that pothole i just hit, so i will learn to be more aware and avoid hitting them. better to get jarred a bit than have some part of your "soft" suspension blow out or break off.

Also, as far as the speed and this guy talking about 87 octane.. seriously bad review and bad writing. They have the top of the line of the other cars and they compare it to the EX?

It's like they don't even care enough to pay attention to the trims to give a fair review.

/rant

·
Registered
830 Posts
With the Sportage, it is very important to set the cold tire pressure no higher than the recommendation on the body sticker. Plus, the suspension 'runs-in' over the course of several thousand miles. At 15,000 miles, mine is still 'taut' but no longer 'harsh'. As for the tires, I am very satisfied with them. Very well-made tires with no problems. I no longer put much stock in 'road tests' unless I'm the driver.

·
Registered
Kia Sportage 2011 (EX-AWD) White
345 Posts
For me, you shouldn't really need to care about those comparison. Well, it is depends on individual because everyone has their owned taste :)

Again if only these fives Compact Crossover SUV... if you asked me to pick again... I will still pick my Kia Sportage. :)

·
Registered
557 Posts
SX has firmer&better suspension than LX/EX; some people like sportiness. The ride can be improved with smaller wheels and softer tires. They tested the EX, noting body-roll I've never felt in the upgraded SX. They complained about power, which is unfair testing the 2.4L.

I agree with the article that the Tiguan felt cheap. The Sportage could use some interior materials tweaks. Odd that they mention the RAV4, but don't review it.

It's an advertisement for the Ford Escape, since it mentions available Escape upgrades, but derides the Sportage for issues which are improved by upgrades they don't mention. In automotive journalism, expect money (eg. advertisements) to bias reviews. I'm not saying Sportage>Escape, since they're different cars with different tradeoffs.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
Funny, Car and Driver also ran a comparo in their September 2012 issue. They compared the CRV EX-L, Escape SEL, Rav4 Limited, Sportage EX, Tucson Limited and CX-5 Grand Touring.

The problem I had in the test was that they used the EX and not the SX. The prices ranged from $27k to $33k (the Ford being the most expensive, Hyundai being the cheapest based on their as tested prices). Now I don't know where these people buy their cars, but even if they paid MSRP for everything, the SX with the premium package is still less than or equal to the price paid for the Ford. Granted, the power levels were about the same on all the cars tested, so maybe they didn't want to throw something with close to 100hp more than the rest of them, but too bad, it should be bang for your buck in my opinion, not "fair". If I am shopping cars and have a budget, I will see how much car I can get within that budget and I think most buyers do the same.

They did hit the nail on the head regarding the small rear cargo area on the Sportage. And on a side note, the back seats should fold completely flat, although they didn't mention that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts