Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

It's great to find a place where I can talk to others about my Kia. My 2000 Kia has been nothing but good to me. She has about 97,000 on her now. The only time she's needed more than routine maintenance is to have the alternator replaced, a new starter (Which MIDAS ripped me off for) just recetly and a new batttery. So I can't complain. My latest problem however was with the check engine light. It was driving kind of jerky and sluggish and then the light came on. Took is to Advanced auto and they gave me a code (can't remember the #, I think it was something like P017...) Anyway, I researched it and decided it was the fuel injectors that needed to be cleaned. I had them cleaned w/o the mechanic oding another diagnostic b/c I didn't want to pay another $80 when I knew what was wrong. After the cleaning, her driving was much much better and I have had no problems since, but the light is still on. Does this mean that I need to take it to be reset or does it go out on it's own when the initial problem it fixed ( which would mean I need to take it back to the shop). Also is it easy enough for me to reset the light myself if that's all it needs? Sorry for the super long first post.

-K

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I remember now the code was P0171, bank 1 lean. Like I said earlier it runs fine onw that I got the fuel injector cleaned. Should the light have gone off by itself if that was the problem?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Usually should go off on its own after certain amount of driving. You could disconnect the battery for 5 minutes, which will clear the codes and along with it the radio presets and your clock... Autozone should be able to reset it too. If it comes on again means that the problem still exists. CEL doesn't necessarily mean the car would not drive fine. You might need an O2 sensor and your gas mileage could suffer for example.

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sephia
8 Posts
I had a similar problem .... A hairline fracture in the pipe leading from the air filter to the intake manifold...I have the fix posted..

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,124 Posts
you only need to disconnect the battery for 5 seconds and hit the brakes. hitting the brakes releases the stored power....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts