Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my hands on a 2011 Sorento EX V6 AWD! After owning two Nissan pathfinder LE's over the course of 8 years, It was time to get something a little more modern. I also enjoy my 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE. I was planning on joining the Kia/Hyundai family since I am very happy with the Sonata after 100,000Kms. I always liked the styling of the Sorento ever since it came out. The SantaFe may be the same underneith the sheet metal, but the Sorento wins the beauty contest IMO. Although the new Santa Fe is quite nice!

This was the final straw for the Pathfinder (No clunking or warning of a failure at all, just happened out of nowhere) Also, I am very familiar with the forum atmosphere. Been on them for all my vehicles for years now!

Literally the day this happened the search was on. I managed to find the cheapest EX V6 in the province! It was apparently a dealer demo and the boss just said to get rid of it. CarProof and CarFax are clean!

Anyways, I picked it up Thursday morning. Drove it 100K on the highway home and averaged 26MPG. Now I wasn't exactly babying the throttle either. Going from an old worn ou 3.5L V6 with 240HP NEW (200HP or less now I suppose) and a 4 Speed automatic is a HUGE difference. This thing has heaps of power. It's so hard to keep my right foot from getting me into trouble.

pre detail:

Now that I have owned it for a couple of days, I have a few questions.

-I noticed in the paint on each side of the vehicle there is tiny rust spots. I was told by a few people that this is rail dust. Will this cause any long-term damage? I am going to get a claybar and try that.

-My iPhone 4 is already paired via BlueTooth. When I start the vehicle and am playing music through the iPod cable (The one from Kia), my music will stop, the terrible lady voice will say 'Transfer complete'. After she says that my music will stop audibly playing, yet the time still keeps going as if it is still playing. This is annoying because I have the unhook my iPhone from the cable, then re-attatch it everytime I start the vehicle.

-I have a very small clunk from my front passenger side wheel when going over bumps. I had my shop take a look at it and everything checked out fine. Is this just a characteristic of the sorento? It's not a severe clunk, just enough to know that something isn't right.

-When my shop had it up on a lift I noticed some dirty/wet spots along the rear side of the timing cover. You could see where oil was leaking from up near the top of the engine all the way along the seam of the timing cover. I made sure it wasn't from the valve cover cause I know the 3.3's were known for that. I know this is a warranted item. Just wondering if anyone has seen this before.

-My rear passenger seat rattles like a mofo when there is nobody/no pressure on it. When I wiggle the lower section up and down it seems like where the lower section of the seat mounts to the floor is loose. Then again, Warranty forsure. Just wondering if this is common.

Last one I promise. The Kia dealer that I got it from never rotated the tires until i bought it. It has 58,000Kms (36,000MI) on it now. The front tires(now on the rear due to rotation) just only passed safety. They are worn down in general (due to being upfront and doing the steering for 58k) but the insides of each tire was much more worn down than the outsides. Seems like my front end needs a bit of an alignment even though it drives fine. The tires that were on the rear (now upfront) are perfectly fine....for now.

Thanks! I look forward to being part of this forum!

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
679 Posts
Sweet ride! What province? Now for your questions:

- Didn't notice rust specs. If it's rail dust, a claybar or something like that should get it out

- The "Transfer Complete" sounds like the issue. There should be an option to sync your contacts. I know it's there on the SX with the nav. What do you have...UVO or nav?

- The clunk from front passenger side sounds familiar. Search the forum. If I remember there is something inside the fender that may be making this sound. Not sure how this was addressed...I think it was padding or securing something...maybe the wash reservoir. Find the thread.

- Haven't seen the wet/dirty spots on rear of timing chain cover...never really looked. Could this be from oil around the oil cap from an oil change?

- No sounds from rear passenger seats. I would say no sounds or rattles after 25,000km

- No issues with alignment. I rotate about every 12,000-15,000km I also have winter tires and swap those out during winter

Forums are great. Share info and support and help each other. Was on a forum for my 2001 Santa Fe too. They've changed and improved alot!

Welcome!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet ride! What province? Now for your questions:

- Didn't notice rust specs. If it's rail dust, a claybar or something like that should get it out

- The "Transfer Complete" sounds like the issue. There should be an option to sync your contacts. I know it's there on the SX with the nav. What do you have...UVO or nav?

- The clunk from front passenger side sounds familiar. Search the forum. If I remember there is something inside the fender that may be making this sound. Not sure how this was addressed...I think it was padding or securing something...maybe the wash reservoir. Find the thread.

- Haven't seen the wet/dirty spots on rear of timing chain cover...never really looked. Could this be from oil around the oil cap from an oil change?

- No sounds from rear passenger seats. I would say no sounds or rattles after 25,000km

- No issues with alignment. I rotate about every 12,000-15,000km I also have winter tires and swap those out during winter

Forums are great. Share info and support and help each other. Was on a forum for my 2001 Santa Fe too. They've changed and improved alot!

Welcome!
I just have the standard 6-Speaker headunit. I figured it would only transfer once but it does it everytime the car is started.

I'll look for the topic about the clunk!

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
The USB devices are up in numbers too high to imagine... Each device has it's own protocol (communication standard) and functions (stop/play/download/upload/last/next...). I'm surprised that they work as well as they do...
Your Sorento has been at the dealers for a while and the Radio (to use the term lightly) has a microcomputer to handle it's functions PLUS "stored" information about "most" USB devices it expects to "see" connected to the USB port...

As time goes on new "functions" are added to External devices (like your iPhone4) that the radio's microcomputer does not know how to handle by looking at it's stored information about External devices... It's not there because the item you are trying to use was not built until AFTER your radio was built and programed... YEP "programed".

This is a problem with ALL car manufactors today... A "radio" just isn't a radio anymore... It's a microcomputer controlled "device" that has to talk to countless devices ....properly....

I do not know "if" KIA (or their radio suppliers) has a new program "list" that they can download into the radio with the proper communication functions (protocol) that is needed to "talk" to your iPhone4 properly...

Sounds like you are going to visit a KIA dealership anyway...Ask about the possibility of upgrading the "software" within the radio...They may be able to do it right at the dealership...Don't get upset "if" they don't know what you are asking for...They are also learning about all the new stuff in their cars and may have to contact KIA corporate...
Good luck and enjoy your KIA...
Dave

ps...
Sounds like you need a front end alignment. 36K miles is not too bad for needing one..I had my 06 Spectra done at 39k.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The USB devices are up in numbers too high to imagine... Each device has it's own protocol (communication standard) and functions (stop/play/download/upload/last/next...). I'm surprised that they work as well as they do...
Your Sorento has been at the dealers for a while and the Radio (to use the term lightly) has a microcomputer to handle it's functions PLUS "stored" information about "most" USB devices it expects to "see" connected to the USB port...

As time goes on new "functions" are added to External devices (like your iPhone4) that the radio's microcomputer does not know how to handle by looking at it's stored information about External devices... It's not there because the item you are trying to use was not built until AFTER your radio was built and programed... YEP "programed".

This is a problem with ALL car manufactors today... A "radio" just isn't a radio anymore... It's a microcomputer controlled "device" that has to talk to countless devices ....properly....

I do not know "if" KIA (or their radio suppliers) has a new program "list" that they can download into the radio with the proper communication functions (protocol) that is needed to "talk" to your iPhone4 properly...

Sounds like you are going to visit a KIA dealership anyway...Ask about the possibility of upgrading the "software" within the radio...They may be able to do it right at the dealership...Don't get upset "if" they don't know what you are asking for...They are also learning about all the new stuff in their cars and may have to contact KIA corporate...
Good luck and enjoy your KIA...
Dave

ps...
Sounds like you need a front end alignment. 36K miles is not too bad for needing one..I had my 06 Spectra done at 39k.
I am definitely going to ask about this when I go in next week. I had to order a new passenger side rear mudflap cause i noticed it was scratched to ish! I am going to book it in for the clunking, rear seat rattle, the oil leak and ask about a radio software update.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I dropped it off at the Dealership this morning and they called back to confirm that the seat is fixed and that the Timing Chain cover is infact leaking. They said that they have seen a few 3.5L's with this issue. Haven't seen anything on these forums yet though.

He said they haven't heard about the clunking issue or the pull to the right. He offered to have a tech come with me on a ride so that I can show him both of these things.

I'll keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got it back from the dealership today. About an hour or so later, I notcied a pool of oil underneath the vehicle. Took it back again and waited nearly 2 hours for them to fix it. Got it back again and yep...leaking oil again. Really getting fed up at this point.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts