Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a recently divorced father of three grade school aged children and my current car, a little VW Golf wasn't cutting it in the kid department. A coworker had a 2004 Sedona that they quit driving when the airbag light came on and stayed on and some steering issues arose. Other than that they reported it to be a fine vehicle. It sat undriven in their garage for over 2 years before they offered it up to me get rid of it. Anyway, long story short I bought it from them yesterday. Today I took posession of it and it does in fact run and drive but has some herky-jerky steering. It has 127k miles and has leather and lots of luxury and looks good however it has some sort of misfire problem that they didn't tell me about.

The check engine light wasn't on when I got in it but during my first drive it came on and has stayed on. It idles smoothly but has a pronounced stumble/misfire when accelerating. I asked them if they had ever experienced a problem like this and they said it ran fine when they parked it for the steering issue. I filled it up with fresh fuel but so far it hasn't seemed to help.

I was hoping someone here could offer some guidance. I'm pretty handy and I can perform simple to moderately complicated repairs but I'm certainly no mechanic. I can't afford to just take this thing to a garage and tell them to fix it so I was hoping it was something simple I could do to fix it. I've replaced timing belts and transmissions and even swapped engines before, but that was all on older, simpler vehicles.

Anyway, I appreciate any advice you folks could offer.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK I have a bit more info. I took it to an auto parts store and they read the codes and it said :Cylinder 2 misfire. I assume this means a bad plug of plug wire?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well my searches outside this site seem to point to an intermediate steering shaft of dubious design. I found the following one on a trusted web parts dealer. Can anyone confirm that this is what I need?
More Information for DORMAN 425800

Not a bad price at $64 but looks like a bear to install. Is there a write up on a good way to approach that task on here. I searched but came up empty.

Also a little more info on the misfire. It appears to be intermittent. Sometimes the car takes right off and pulls strong and behaves normally. Other times it bucks and stammers and stalls like it's done for. Sort of comes and goes. Does that shed any more light on the subject?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
04 sedonna,07 oddsey,77 dodge p/u,kubota tractor------
97 Posts
I would start with new plugs and wires. Not too hard of a job but you do have to remove the intake manifold and the rear brackets is what i had trouble with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts