Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 kia sportage
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I recently bought a 2002 sportage and have been working some bugs out of it. I already put a new clutch, brakes and shocks. Now I'm working on the hard to find stuff
The comp threw out 2 codes for the evap system. I replaced the canister and found that the moisture tank was cracked. After I fixed it, I cleared the codes and all was good for 2 days. Now the dreaded check engine light is back on.
Code p0440
What else do I need to check/replace?

#2- My AC has been shutting off a couple times a day. It runs fine, then it just shuts off. After a minute, I can turn the switch off and on and it will turn back on. I have a cheap ac gauge, and it reads full. Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2002 kia sportage
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just had a second code come up. P0442
I have already changed the 1st 02 sensor. Car had a cracked exhaust manifold, and I put a new 02 sensor in it. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,696 Posts
Just had a second code come up. P0442
I have already changed the 1st 02 sensor. Car had a cracked exhaust manifold, and I put a new 02 sensor in it. Any help would be appreciated
You are wasting money by swapping in parts..

The O2 sensors are by design, positioned to evaluate the amount of oxygen in the system. Any illegal air (leaks, Cracked manifold), will trigger the O2 sensor, and the ECU will attempt to adjust for complete burn, failing that the ECU illuminates the CEL and set a code....

The P0440/P0442 most likely a leak in the fuel cap or Evap Vent......Philip

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sportage EX
3 Posts
Might have a suggestion in regards to the intermittent AC on your Sportage. I recently purchased a 2010 Toyota Yaris. The AC worked fine until, one day while blowing down I-95 at 75mph, it became increasingly hotter in the car until there was nothing but heat coming out the vents. I immediately thought the worst and assumed I now had an expensive repair for a vehicle that was relatively new.

After a 45 minute road stop for a burger and refreshment I hit the road, but before doing so, I did a quick Google on my iPhone to see what could be the problem. First thing to check was the vent control. Sure enough, I had the vent control in the outside air position. A Toyota Yaris prefers to use the recirculated air position, especially on a hot Georgia day. As soon as I made the adjustment the AC has worked flawlessly.

I've owned a 1998 Kia Sportage for many many years. Of all the issues the vehicle has had, the AC has not been one of them. None the less, since your Kia is somewhat newer, I had to wonder if maybe your vent position might be the culprit. Just sayin'...

·
Registered
2002 kia sportage
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are wasting money by swapping in parts..

The O2 sensors are by design, positioned to evaluate the amount of oxygen in the system. Any illegal air (leaks, Cracked manifold), will trigger the O2 sensor, and the ECU will attempt to adjust for complete burn, failing that the ECU illuminates the CEL and set a code....

The P0440/P0442 most likely a leak in the fuel cap or Evap Vent......Philip
I had to replace the O2 sensor when I replaced the manifold. It was stuck so tight I couldn't break it loose with a 2' cheater.
As far as the evap system, I've replaced the cap, canister, 2 valves, and 2 lines that had cracks in them. How often does the ecu run tests on the system? I cannot find any more leaks

·
Registered
2002 kia sportage
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had to let you guys know what happened with the AC. Took me a couple days to realize what was happening. Fan clutch was toast, and the electric fan for the ac was the only fan running. When the engine started getting hot, it would shut the ac off, and my only fan. Changed the fan clutch, and no more overheating or ac probs

1 - 6 of 6 Posts