Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum, I purchased a 2012 Kia Sportage SX about a two and a half months ago. Admittedly I am more of a BMW fanboy, but my perception of KIA has been changing since they started the latest model refresh. I was only in the market because my daily driver, a 97 BMW 328i sedan, really should not be daily driven. A few years ago I swapped in a 2001 Corvette Z06 engine (LS6). So I wanted to move it aside as a toy/track vehicle.

The wife wanted something higher up, I wanted something quickish (in comparison to the bmw). Most utes simply could not comply for me (all seemed to be around 170hp). We looked at more than a few options and almost settled on a Rouge, mostly because of price, I was also dubious if any utes in the class actually had any power and ready to give up. The sales guy offered up a 6k discount before we had even really started talking price. We looked at the car again and I was dismayed at how plastic and dull it was so we left.

Luckily we were in an auto mall so the Kia dealership was just down the road. We went without the intention to buy anything and ended up walking out with a contact for a recently delivered Black Cherry SX. The car was delivered to dealer stock earlier that day. It did not have the full leather with cooling or nav. I was at first a bit upset at loosing the cooling but I really liked the orange interior panels and accents so I lived with it. The orange really gives the interior some emotion, instead of being the sea of black [plastic] that is abound in so many other utes. I am curious to see it in blue (Why was the colour not an option?). The Nav I could definately live without as google maps is king anyways.

I have now been daily driving the SX and have already put more than 7,000kms on it and did its first oil change. I/wifey could not be happier. I really need to change the lights to HIDS and some other minor mods but I intend to own it for a while so plenty of time for that. Hope that when my warranty runs we have some software/turbo options. Really would not mind a 350-400hp Sportage. Would also be nice if it was lower but that's just my inner 'stance' talking.

·
Registered
2012 Cerato/Forte Hatch SI
184 Posts
Wow, that's some introduction. Glad you are wrapped in your new set of wheels!!!:D Welcome to the Forum from a land Downunder!!!:D:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe a bit too much information in a intro post? Thanks for the welcome!

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX, 6spd manual
184 Posts
Hey Dan, it's Jon from maxbimmer. I just stumbled across your post.
We ended up getting a Sandtrack coloured Sportage LX 6spd manual. Would certainly prefer more power like your SX, but she got a ridiculous deal.
We've had it a week and so far so good. Biggest issue is that the steering is ridiculously light. Fortunately the service guy at 427 Kia said he could reduce the electric power assist, so I'll do that soon.
I'm also going to look into fitting rear park assist sensors or a camera.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,961 Posts
Danimal...
I've heard of the GM/BMW engine swap and even have a picture of one with OMG fat rear tires... I'd love to see under the hood... What tranny /rear end did you use?
The 012 Sportage has got to be easier on the pocketbook though..
Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts